Author Topic: Music Suggestions  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Music Suggestions
« on: May 22, 2020, 03:03:41 am »
Hi Solarius. Love the soundtrack, too.

So... I made this thread to suggest possible new music to add to the mod. I know its a bit hard, because they got to be proper to the ambiance and mood of the game.

So I took the liberty of finding some cool music. Most of it is from obscure 90s games as well.

Project Xenocide Planetview 0.1 by Thomas Torfs:

https://github.com/astyanax/Project-Xenocide/blob/master/assets/Sound%20Department/Complete/Music/First%20Turn/10.%20Thomas%20Torfs%20-%20Planetview.ogg

Love this one, its so beautiful and mysteriously dark. Wish I could mod it into my game, but I'm using a phone so it would be a pain in the ass.

Might wanna ask for authorization to use. I think some people from Project Xenocide work on Open X-COM.

Ar'kritz The Intruder/Parasite:

https://youtu.be/usLdNVUULs8

Its an old run and gun plataformer from France made in the 90. Fun and pretty cool looking old game, its about alien convicts from a space prison invading a mining town in the US, protag is an ex-cop who gets infected by an alien parasite called Ar'Kritz, a little space cop sent to solve the situation. Both have to fight together both aliens and the authorities, who are after Jack and Ar'Kritz, with Ar'Kritz riding inside and commenting about things to Jack, while Jack is slowly turning into a monster due to Ar'Kritz inside him, so he has to both defeat the aliens and find a way to get Ar'Kritz out of him, all the while mutating and gaining new abilities, before he dies.

Its pretty fun and hard. The semi-photorealistic graphics look neat for the time, the game gets harder and harder, the Gameworld is a realistic town rather than the more abstract worlds of most plataformers back then, and the soundtrack is great and goes from sounding like an American 90s police movie and turning more sinister and sci-fi like.

The whole situation of the game also looks like something which would fit in The X-COM Files. Small town, alien, alien parasites, mutants, police and army fighting back, etc.

Some tracks would probably not fit, some might. Laboratory, City Sundown, Mines, Jail, Sewer, City Night, Headquarters, Space Base.

Its abandonware so I wouldn't worry.

Link has a google drive folder with FLACs included. YouTube kinda butchered the quality. The loading images might make cool graphics for the mod as well, I think they are there as well

I also found this one, which is the original version of Gotham from DN3D:

https://youtu.be/roCX4pmwfhc

I love how darker it is.

There's also this remix of Geoscape 2:

https://youtu.be/IxGIiiZf7Gc

I suspect a lot of Earth 2150 might fit, think the games got the files inside? Don't know where else to get good quality files.

Enviado de meu moto e5 play usando o Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Music Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:54:00 am »
Thank you for the recommendations. They are all interesting candidates, though some are a bit too upbeat for a regular mission.

Adding music is what bloats the mod though, so I'm very careful here. :) Still, feel free to suggest more.

xcomfan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 02:06:30 pm »
I like the gotham one! I'd give a shot also with System Shock 2 ost; a couple of track might fit well to the mod, for example "med sci 2" and "rec" are kinda mild.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:04:10 pm by xcomfan »

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:23:58 pm »

Thank you for the recommendations. They are all interesting candidates, though some are a bit too upbeat for a regular mission.

Adding music is what bloats the mod though, so I'm very careful here. :) Still, feel free to suggest more.

No prob!

Yeah I know its not easy choosing due to mood. Although they might fit elsewhere.

As for size... As someone who plays in a phone, very happy that the mod is quite compact. I say, tho... What about optional music downloads? I do something similar in my mod, but its another game...

Enviado de meu moto e5 play usando o Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 01:33:52 pm »
You know, if you want to make a submod with expanded music, I'm totally fine with that. :)

xcomfan

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 04:08:27 pm »
There are plenty of possibilities, i'd remind also the deus ex sountrack or the 1996' syndycate wars
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:17:13 pm by xcomfan »

Offline Alazar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 04:17:21 pm »
A little bit of awesome.
There are plenty of possibilities, i'd remind also the deus ex sountrack or the 1996' syndycate wars
UNATCO Ambient would fit Globe screen perfectly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:29:38 pm by Alazar »

xcomfan

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 10:12:39 am »
Well just let's try playng with some tunes in background #trialanderror  :D

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 12:11:44 pm »
Project Xenocide Planetview 0.1 by Thomas Torfs:

https://github.com/astyanax/Project-Xenocide/blob/master/assets/Sound%20Department/Complete/Music/First%20Turn/10.%20Thomas%20Torfs%20-%20Planetview.ogg

IMO, the percussion is too laud to fit xcom style, but strings are fine. I've found, that it's pretty easy to create such music by own using, say, FL Studio, even without any music education. I'm planning to make some tracks for FTA by myself, as I failed to find proper music that can be looped well (play constantly during battlescape session) fit the original style and is distributed under some free license I can accept (like CC, that part is important for me). So that part of modding is in the scope of my modding tasks, the first 5-min long track is almost ready (tho, its pretty simple and ambient, almost sound design stuff with not real music, mostly). So if interested, I can somehow share an experience I gather so far on making sounds for xcom...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 02:20:08 pm »
Just to point out: I'm avoiding music which could piss off major contemporary franchises, mostly to keep OXC safe and clean.

xcomfan

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 05:03:27 pm »
Just to point out: I'm avoiding music which could piss off major contemporary franchises, mostly to keep OXC safe and clean.

Oh, right. Some doom-inspired track should be fine?

Edit: i liked muche hideng the secret, tune for the secret level in doom, set in a military base, might be an idea for a map and/or a mission... ;)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:15:51 pm by xcomfan »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 05:06:05 pm »
If I make more Doom missions, yes :)