Author Topic: AKs and grenades.  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Alazar

• Captain
    • View Profile
AKs and grenades.
« on: April 02, 2020, 06:12:06 am »
Started a new game.
1. AK-47 and AKM use 7.62 both, AKM was,is and will be using 7.62 caliber rounds, not 5.45. So both should have same damage, plus AKM is more accurate, not less like in current mod build.
Also swap icons, your AK-47 has AKM icon and AKM has AK-47 icon.

2. This bugs me a lot. Normal throw has insane range, but impact grenades like flashbangs have tiny. Suggestions:

a) Nerf throw range. (Cause catching grenades across the map when a grenade launcher cant boast the same is not cool)

or

b) Make all grenades work like flashbangs do. (Cause lets be honest, no one uses primer above 0, unless its explosives and tnt)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:22:07 am by Alazar »

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
Re: AKs and grenades.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 01:02:40 pm »
2: I am unsure about the code for the flashbangs, but the normal grenade range is actually very well balanced, as it is directly related between the strength of the thrower and the weight of the item, whether or not it's a grenade. Also, I will sometimes use a three-turn delay on my grenades, since I have a pretty good handle on what the ai will do in certain situations. All I can say about guns is that there is already another thread talking about them.

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 05:22:34 pm »
last I checked the files, the AKM did have higher accuracy. +5 across the board. Maybe that's not enough? idk.

Offline Alazar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:59:48 pm »
last I checked the files, the AKM did have higher accuracy. +5 across the board. Maybe that's not enough? idk.

Might be I am wrong, but since its a mess with icons I probably mistaken them or maybe not, need to check later.

2: I am unsure about the code for the flashbangs, but the normal grenade range is actually very well balanced, as it is directly related between the strength of the thrower and the weight of the item, whether or not it's a grenade. Also, I will sometimes use a three-turn delay on my grenades, since I have a pretty good handle on what the ai will do in certain situations. All I can say about guns is that there is already another thread talking about them.
They work like a shot weapon I think.
And no, I can not agree that throws are balanced, you can throw a grenade across the map, but a grenade launcher will complain that there is no trajectory or its out if range, that is absolutely unrealistic and cancels the need for grenade launchers as a whole.
Also impressive prediction skill if you can effectively use a 3 turns primed grenade.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 07:04:55 pm by Alazar »

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 07:14:29 pm »
They work like a shot weapon I think.
I don't mind you thinking grenades are unbalanced, but anything thrown has a maximum throw distance directly proportional to the strength of the thrower.

Offline Alazar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 02:41:20 am »
I don't mind you thinking grenades are unbalanced, but anything thrown has a maximum throw distance directly proportional to the strength of the thrower.
Thats why its absurd, if throw range is something like "strength minus item weight equals range in tiles", then a 50 tile throw is stupid, each tile is rougly proportional to 1 meter, I would like to see anyone who can throw a grenade that far in real life.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 03:04:10 am »
Thats why its absurd, if throw range is something like "strength minus item weight equals range in tiles", then a 50 tile throw is stupid, each tile is rougly proportional to 1 meter, I would like to see anyone who can throw a grenade that far in real life.
well you won't see someone using a rocket launcher out of a window and surviving that... the complete house coming down that is. or killing a tank with a sword. so realism may be off a little ;)

that being said, i agree that for xcom scale, throw range is utterly insane.
(at least for light items)
throwing a nade 50m is probably possible. give or take 10m.
but 50 tiles is not 50m. 1 tile maybe is 1m. but if 20 tiles would be 20m, then i´d fire each single one of my soldiers for their shooting skills...

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 04:49:17 am »
Realistically, yes, grenades are absurd. In-game, I find that they are quite well balanced.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 05:49:56 am »
Realistically, yes, grenades are absurd. In-game, I find that they are quite well balanced.
on their own or for vanilla i´d agree.
but we got a metric ****ton more different weapons here and IMO they don't quite fit like that.
for starters, they make most grenade launchers completely obsolete.
and you can throw them a lot further than you can shoot accurately with most guns, thats just weird.

props on how well some cults use them though, makes my firing squad tactics a little less easy.

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 04:33:13 pm »
Started a new game.
1. AK-47 and AKM use 7.62 both, AKM was,is and will be using 7.62 caliber rounds, not 5.45. So both should have same damage, plus AKM is more accurate, not less like in current mod build.
Also swap icons, your AK-47 has AKM icon and AKM has AK-47 icon.

You should probably post that in the bug reports thread.