aliens

Author Topic: Alien Engineers  (Read 2423 times)

Offline urh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Alien Engineers
« on: April 02, 2020, 06:05:00 pm »
I apologize if this has been asked/answered before.
Thanks to the X-com Files wiki I've been able to figure out why I still haven't been able to build laser weapons - it's because I haven't interrogated an alien engineer.
On what kind of missions does one typically encounter an engineer? As far as I can tell, they don't spawn on UFO crash sites or terror missions.
Do I have to raid an alien base to get my hands on one?

EDIT: I just started a raid on an alien base, and the very first alien I encountered and KO'ed was an engineer. Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:23:04 pm by urh »

Offline Alazar

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Engineers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 07:10:32 pm »
Engies do spawn in downed UFO missions, however they can also spawn dead since they usualy are near the UFO power source, which blows up during the crash. Its RNG really if engie stays alive during mission start.

Offline urh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 07:27:59 pm »
Engies do spawn in downed UFO missions, however they can also spawn dead since they usualy are near the UFO power source, which blows up during the crash. Its RNG really if engie stays alive during mission start.

I guess RN Jesus had just been unkind to me - I've managed to do ~30 crash sites without successfully recovering an engineer.
It was fortunate that the base I raided was manned by floaters, and floaters are kind enough to color-code themselves.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 01:05:04 am »
have you considered letting the UFO land first?
all crew and equipment unbroken. many non-tiny ufos have engineers (dunno which ones, but definately all larger).

Offline urh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 12:07:39 pm »
I just realized that the prerequisite for Elerium Battery Research is to have interrogated an engineer of every freaking species.
I can't be the only one who finds this ridiculous.

Offline PltSgtMac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 12:25:39 pm »
It's only necessary to research one of those engineers. Also using in-game tech tree viewer (Middle-mouse button on a research item) is faster and easier way to find out what you need than the wiki.

Offline urh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 12:37:02 pm »
It's only necessary to research one of those engineers. Also using in-game tech tree viewer (Middle-mouse button on a research item) is faster and easier way to find out what you need than the wiki.
I just realized I haven't built any Improved Laboratories.
I'm an idiot.
In my defense, I am returning to my campaign after a ~3 month break.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:49:48 pm by urh »