Author Topic: [Rejected] Exceeding the limit of 8 bases  (Read 6747 times)

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[Rejected] Exceeding the limit of 8 bases
« on: April 01, 2020, 04:11:24 am »
Rejection reason: after long discussions, it was decided that this is an unwanted feature (not even as optional feature!)

Somewhere on the forum I saw an old topic about how good it would be to have more than 8 bases. I fully support this topic. I think this restriction is not substantiated in any way from the point of view of the game logic. I beg dear modders to add this feature to the game. Let everyone decide how many bases he needs. :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:51:03 pm by Meridian »

wcho035

Re: Exceeding the limit of 8 bases
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 05:30:40 am »
I support this request, but knowing the history in this forum.. I hope the request is armour plated. I can see multiple flak cannons with “M” labelling targeting it....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:45:23 am by Precentor Apollyon »

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:25:05 pm »
What do you need more than 8 bases for? 8 is enough for every continent and the arctic. If you want more space in your bases, look through the rulesets and merge two base facilities with a mod.

P.S. I'm not giving flak, I'm just saying that modders have the capability to, in effect, expand their bases by building over facility a with facility b that is twice as good as a.

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 02:10:52 pm »
Yes, I know that in the opinion of many 8 bases it is enough, they cover all continents e.t.c ... I need the opportunity to build many bases for my mod. Since I cannot do it myself, I am forced to ask others.

xcomfan

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 02:15:17 pm »
Me too would like this, like an option?

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 03:38:35 pm »
Yes, I know that in the opinion of many 8 bases it is enough, they cover all continents e.t.c ... I need the opportunity to build many bases for my mod. Since I cannot do it myself, I am forced to ask others.

I like the idea of anything that gives modders the opportunity to do more and better things.

However, as this idea has been shot down multiple times by Meridian, I wanted to note how you can fit more facilities into a base.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 03:52:30 pm »
The features are already implemented for OpenXcom (since 2014), here:

1. Unlimited number of bases: https://github.com/OpenXcom/OpenXcom/pull/769

2. Unlimited base size: https://github.com/OpenXcom/OpenXcom/pull/777

OpenXcom is a free software, feel free to include it in your personal version.

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 04:50:50 pm »
And how to enable these features?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 05:00:21 pm »
And how to enable these features?

They were not included in OpenXcom, they were rejected.
But they are still there for anyone to use in their own personal version/fork of OpenXcom.

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 05:11:59 pm »
I am not a programmer, you can tell in more detail how to add this function?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 06:06:34 pm »
I am not a programmer, you can tell in more detail how to add this function?

You need to fork the OpenXcom repository, merge the linked pull requests, resolve conflicts and build your own version.

However, if you're not a programmer, I doubt you can do that (no offense intended).

wcho035

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 07:34:57 pm »
Perhaps unlimited number of bases is absurd. Maybe the request need to be rephrased in a manner more acceptable. How about expanded number of bases from the default 8? To a number that is both agreeable to modder and developer a like? I propose 20. This way, it is a safe number. If it is not a futile proposition.

Otherwise, there comes a time openxcom or OXCE will reach its furthest development. When the time comes, perhaps you can fork out to your own version as Meridian had suggested, Vangermar1

It is a matter of Time, and this can be years or decades...

Or, crowd fund a dev to get this implemented. Money motivates...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:59:36 pm by Precentor Apollyon »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 07:59:59 pm »
I agree, we should not limit size to 8 bases, I suggest put limit to 255 as it fit nicely in 1 Byte for better storage.
One problem is that UI do not have enough space for them, but this could be done by dropping support for original 320x200 resolution.
I think we should make base render resolution to 4k, with it we well be able to easy fit 16x255 base miniature sprites.

Solution infinite base sizes could be that w simply split base in 6x6 parts, and each will be separate base that can be connected to each other.
With this your very big base could be visible on globe as separate parts, this would allow better navigation between parts of it. As base is infinite it could cover half of globe. One problem it have is that globe is not flat surface (see cartography projections), we will have problem with mapping of 2d infinite surface of base interior with surface of sphere. This could be solved by dropping 2d render engine in base and use full 3d base display that could have better mapping to globe.

As final note we could drop this whole 8bit graphic, do any one still have cards that support this display mode?? Why limit self to 255 colors if you display can show billions?

btw what day is today?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 08:10:15 pm »
How about expanded number of bases from the default 8? To a number that is both agreeable to modder and developer a like? I propose 20.

Agreeable number to OXC and OXCE devs is 8.

Otherwise, there comes a time openxcom or OXCE will reach its furthest development.

For now I have 200+ features in the queue.
Such time will come for sure, but it's not today.

Or, crowd fund a dev to get this implemented. Money motivates...

It's already implemented. For free. You "just" need someone to maintain a new OpenXcom fork.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 10:09:40 pm »
I agree, we should not limit size to 8 bases, I suggest put limit to 255 as it fit nicely in 1 Byte for better storage.
One problem is that UI do not have enough space for them, but this could be done by dropping support for original 320x200 resolution.
I think we should make base render resolution to 4k, with it we well be able to easy fit 16x255 base miniature sprites.

Solution infinite base sizes could be that w simply split base in 6x6 parts, and each will be separate base that can be connected to each other.
With this your very big base could be visible on globe as separate parts, this would allow better navigation between parts of it. As base is infinite it could cover half of globe. One problem it have is that globe is not flat surface (see cartography projections), we will have problem with mapping of 2d infinite surface of base interior with surface of sphere. This could be solved by dropping 2d render engine in base and use full 3d base display that could have better mapping to globe.

As final note we could drop this whole 8bit graphic, do any one still have cards that support this display mode?? Why limit self to 255 colors if you display can show billions?

btw what day is today?

thanks for the laugh, Yankes :p