Author Topic: Another XCOM Project V.2  (Read 3663 times)

Offline nutseo6

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Another XCOM Project V.2
« on: February 17, 2020, 08:18:43 am »
Stumbled upon this on GitHub
https://github.com/jshamash/psalmon-xcom

No idea of progress, I don't have Unity3D installed at the minute
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:16:30 pm by Meridian »

wcho035

Re: Another XCOM Project V.2
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 02:44:06 pm »
This is a fake link. Admin, please note this is spam

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 07:06:18 pm »
>7 years ago
>Created for the course Comp 360 at McGill University.

Looks like some dead student project. There is also no license, so I doubt anyone would be reviving it.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 07:41:02 pm »
This is a fake link. Admin, please note this is spam
Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you. EDIT: Link as currently posted is working and legit, sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

This actually opens in older versions of Unity (tried on Unity4) and builds and runs once you delete the "editor" folder under \Assets\AnimationStore\  (Unity doesn't recognize Mixamo.UnityStore).
This is a remake in the sense that the Ufo/Afterlight/etc. games are remakes, and as expected it's kind of...unpolished:

And yes, the globe actually rotates and shows bases, but as far as i can tell it's misaligned, as are other assets (like the base grid).

Sadly, this isn't the 3D-remake we are looking for.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:33:36 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:03:10 pm »
Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you.

This is a spambot thread, and there was a fake link in the first post... I have removed it.

The original thread is here btw: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1425.0.html

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 08:21:49 pm »
This is a spambot thread, and there was a fake link in the first post... I have removed it.

The original thread is here btw: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1425.0.html

I'm not sure I understand - did the "original" post include two separate links? Why was the github-link mark as [do not follow]?

Sorry if this was a misunderstanding, I was under the impression that a legit link had been reported as being fraudulent.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 08:59:02 pm »
I'm not sure I understand - did the "original" post include two separate links?

I don't remember.
Something was injected into the message, probably black text on a black background with a link to spam site... or something like that. I didn't study it too long.

Normally we delete the whole post, this one was especially believable so it got approved at first.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 09:16:19 pm »
I guess that also explains why somebody would (re)post a link to an inactive repository.

:P

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 09:26:16 pm »
I'm not sure I understand - did the "original" post include two separate links? Why was the github-link mark as [do not follow]?
Links from new users are flagged as suspicious since spambots will often dump them after registering, and it looks like the suspicion was correct (not the link but the user).

The user looks like an old account that was hijacked, possibly using common/leaked passwords, so remember to use strong unique passwords online. :)

wcho035

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 03:33:57 am »
Don't know what had transpired here. Originally, when I checked the link, it send me to some gambling site or advert site.  I don't report spam link for nothing, this goes for anything weird on this forum.

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 05:56:48 am »
It seems to be a tactic lately where the spambot copies a several year old post.  I found one a few weeks ago and the only reason it caught my eye was because I had read the original post a few days earlier.