aliens

Author Topic: Users folder has no actual files  (Read 2973 times)

Offline kowloon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Users folder has no actual files
« on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:37 pm »
Sorry if this is something easy to fix. I was unable to save my game in UFO with openxcom installed (latest nightly exe). I then restarted the game only to find none of the settings have saved. On looking into my user/documents folder I see that I have the folders for mods, xcom 1 and xcom2 but they are empty and there is no config file or anything in the folder. Bolth games were the steam version and the installer found both but has created but not populated the documents folder. Any idea how I can get hold of these files or generate them?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Users folder has no actual files
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 10:29:38 pm »
Perhaps you have them under [your OXC installation path]\OpenXcom\user?

Offline kowloon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 11:12:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I don't appear to have any users folder in the openxcom folder, it has created the geodata folder and so on and all the game files appear to be in there (80+MB of game files between UFO and TFTD).
I take it the missing config file and whatever else should be in my openxcom documents folder are ones the installer would normally create rather than something I can drag across from my Steam files? Would they be in the zip version of openxcom?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 11:57:07 pm »
The config file (options.cfg) is not in the installer and also not in the zip file... it is created by the game itself, when it starts.

Attached is a screenshot with all files and directories created after you start OpenXcom.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:00:39 am by Meridian »

Offline kowloon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 12:13:09 am »
It's strange, the installer seems to have done everything it should, the game opens and I can play it, but not save any settings or games as it hasn't created those files, only the folders. The log file in thje openxcom game folder is registering the issue: [26-03-2020_16-05-18]   [WARN]   Failed to save options.cfg

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 12:18:49 am »
Sounds like you don't have enough permissions to write into that location.

Can you try creating a file there manually? Just to see if the location is writeable?

Also, you can try to run OpenXcom "as administrator" (right-click and select "Run as administrator").

Offline kowloon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 01:26:38 am »
I couldn't get it to work as admin, but you're right! I had never tried the portable option and it works with that and has created the user files in the install directory. Thanks for the help! I'm stuck at home with an eye injury that's not going to be sorted until after this virus crisis and needed something with big text so I can play comfortably. Cheers!