Author Topic: concealable is not concealable  (Read 13173 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: concealable is not concealable
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2020, 12:42:58 pm »
The risk is there, but I don't consider these missions particularly hard, as long as you have dart rifles (before that, it's way more tricky). Dogs are a huge help too.

Offline Taube

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 07:58:49 pm »
so what does the Concealable in the description mean then? Is there a undercover mission type where e.g. Glock 18 is usable?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 08:24:12 pm »
so what does the Concealable in the description mean then? Is there a undercover mission type where e.g. Glock 18 is usable?

Well yes, most missions with limited equipment allow for the Glock. The exceptions (off the top of my head) are the ski resort, the beach and the factory, and of course underwater.

Offline Taube

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 08:51:30 pm »
Well yes, most missions with limited equipment allow for the Glock. The exceptions (off the top of my head) are the ski resort, the beach and the factory, and of course underwater.

Right after I asked, I finally came across a concerned citizen missions, with this very limitation.
Is the game spying on my forum posting?  ???

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 10:39:38 am »
Right after I asked, I finally came across a concerned citizen missions, with this very limitation.
Is the game spying on my forum posting?  ???

We can't tell you. It's a secret.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2020, 06:04:55 pm »
I wouldn't mind expansion of concealables to allow for some unarmored-target-intended guns in most scenarios. After all even to the beach the agents have no reason to go without any small bags and similar that are just left for the duration of the mission alone and during the time the weapons are needed, there's no need to further conceal them as the whole mission is regular fight with the local faction (which doesn't seem to care about any sort of concealment in front of civilians at all).

The only real problem with carrying around guns hidden would be during checks on the border and similar - a thing that fluff-wise Council could probably easily manage and which in general would have to be managed only early game, given that later it seems that X-Com just completely ignores regular transport routes (no public transport, regular cars etc) and border crossing laws and provides direct insertion into any area of operation.

Though that could make the whole thing too easy, if too many more powerful guns (bigger caliber, mostly, to avoid penetration of walls etc in case of civilians) would be allowed. I've just decided to share this random observation since nowadays, some missions seems quite restrictive (especially the beach ones) by comparison.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2020, 01:29:09 pm »
I wouldn't mind expansion of concealables to allow for some unarmored-target-intended guns in most scenarios. After all even to the beach the agents have no reason to go without any small bags and similar that are just left for the duration of the mission alone and during the time the weapons are needed, there's no need to further conceal them as the whole mission is regular fight with the local faction (which doesn't seem to care about any sort of concealment in front of civilians at all).

The only real problem with carrying around guns hidden would be during checks on the border and similar - a thing that fluff-wise Council could probably easily manage and which in general would have to be managed only early game, given that later it seems that X-Com just completely ignores regular transport routes (no public transport, regular cars etc) and border crossing laws and provides direct insertion into any area of operation.

Though that could make the whole thing too easy, if too many more powerful guns (bigger caliber, mostly, to avoid penetration of walls etc in case of civilians) would be allowed. I've just decided to share this random observation since nowadays, some missions seems quite restrictive (especially the beach ones) by comparison.

It is assumed that the beach resort is so tightly controlled by Osiron that hiding a gun in your bag will not suffice.

Come on, if it was otherwise, you wouldn't have a beach mission at all, you'd have another boring Mr. Smiths vs. poor bastards shootout.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2020, 02:27:54 pm »
It is assumed that the beach resort is so tightly controlled by Osiron that hiding a gun in your bag will not suffice.
Oh, that sounds alright. I don't recall any explanation like that included in any fluff though. Did I manage to forget it already? If not, would be nice to drop more such tidbits keeping the suspension of disbelief together.

Come on, if it was otherwise, you wouldn't have a beach mission at all, you'd have another boring Mr. Smiths vs. poor bastards shootout.
True. Though I admit it is a bit jarring when the agents are sent to the mission against armed opponents with nearly no equipment for the sake of maintaining incognito personas when it immediately turns out that even without any particular provocation, Osiron starts attacking them on sight, making it a bit moot.

xcomfan

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2020, 03:40:04 pm »
Might be useful if instead of "conceable" it be used "can be carryed in infiltration missions" or something like that?

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2020, 07:18:14 pm »
Might be useful if instead of "conceable" it be used "can be carryed in infiltration missions" or something like that?
That probably wouldn't solve the issue, which lies in the fact that no matter if the weapon can be easily hidden, in reality every kind of infiltration mission has its own set of allowed equipment often ignoring how concealable is said weapon.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2020, 09:24:21 pm »
Concealable is used with Suits, Coats and Bulletproof Coats.
Beach Gear is used on the beach.
Labor gear is used in factory.
Sporting gear is used in ski resort.
Underwater-Capable is used underwater.
Space-Capable is (presumably) used in space. (I had no space missions yet.)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2020, 08:43:46 am »
The Sports thing is funny. With a name like that, I originally thought it was about infiltrating football stadiums (both kinds), baseball fields, basketball courts, golf fields, etc.

The idea of a mission where X-COM infiltrates disguised as an Football team, staff and fans, is funny to me. X-COM F.C entering the field and being limited to:

- Hands and footwear (concealed knife within for those really cutting kicks)
- The ball (actually a bomb that can be kicked)
- Whistles (emit ultrasonics which stuns enemies)
- Goalkeeper Gloves
- Water Bottles (optional "Baptized Water Bottles" containing Totally Trustable Water. The Argentinean soldiers suggested this trick)
- Laser Pointers (decrease enemy accuracy. Later models may be actually low-powered laser weapons, James Bond-style)
- Yellow and Red Referee Cards, which are actually lethal throwing weapons in disguise.
- Fireworks.
- The obligatory glass bottle they get thrown at them by "hooligans" who are actually Council agents so it counts as items they sneak in. The 90s were wack, man.

Enviado de meu moto e5 play usando o Tapatalk

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2020, 11:21:33 am »
The Sports thing is funny. With a name like that, I originally thought it was about infiltrating football stadiums (both kinds), baseball fields, basketball courts, golf fields, etc.

The idea of a mission where X-COM infiltrates disguised as an Football team, staff and fans, is funny to me. X-COM F.C entering the field and being limited to:

That might happen at some point in the future, if only in Piratez. IIRC missions happening in gladiatorial arenas were planned, so that's not much of a stretch. No idea how would this work for the AI to not to go crazy. Also, weren't you called out about removing your stupid signature already?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2020, 01:14:04 pm »
Also, weren't you called out about removing your stupid signature already?

I was going to ask about the same thing, but then decided to do like Meridian does and just refuse to answer. :)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2020, 08:51:19 pm »
The fuck, I took the sig out

I think tapatalk put it back. It was glitching some days ago.