aliens

Author Topic: concealable is not concealable  (Read 13397 times)

Offline MoonKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
concealable is not concealable
« on: March 25, 2020, 11:46:15 pm »
I do not understand what is concealable and what not.
It does not matter if the Ufopedia say a pistol is "concealable". I am not able to take it with me in undercover missions.

Before starting an undercover mission, how do I know what can I take with me and what not?

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: concealable is not concealable
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 12:59:50 am »
there´s more than one type, but only concealable is displayed.
Ye, its kinda weird in that matter.
E.g. there´s beach missions, where you can only take beach gear. Or ski mission. Or others. Concealable does not mean you can take it on any undercover mission.
What you can take where is in each item info though. (the Info button on the items ufopedia page)

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 03:22:15 am »
You can usually take the Spy Pistols with you, including on the beach and ski missions.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 03:38:32 am »
Isn't this explained in the Pedia?

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 07:30:10 am »
Isn't this explained in the Pedia?
Technically yes, it is somewhere. Doubt everyone reads the whole thing though ^^
But having "concealable" on some weapons is very confusing in that case, since it does not fully mean what you´d expect from it.
(E.g. its not that simple...)

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 04:43:03 pm »
You can usually take the Spy Pistols with you, including on the beach and ski missions.
Seems in 1.2 spypistol on beach not anymore.
Certainly do not like that...  :-\
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:12:57 pm by TheCurse »

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 06:59:42 pm »
Specificaly with Beach, lack of Concealables makes sense. You need some clothing to conceal your weapons in and you go to the beach in swimsuits.

I thought tha Concealable meant that it can be taken anywhere, where you can go in a suit. X-Com suits have to have special pockets to hide small arms in. But if you need specific clothing supplied somewhere else (Beach, Labor, Ski,...), it probably won't have the pockets to conceal your weapons.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 10:42:50 am »
Well without spy pistols (they do fit in a speedo, pretty sure...) beach is problematic.
Crossbow and darts and 0 armor vs guys who reaction 1-shot you... nope, no fun and all you get is dead agents, unless you´re extremely lucky to start in a position that heavily favors you and got a ton of luck more not to be killed anyway. not even smoke grenades.
anyone got a proper way to deal with that? because currently I´m all out...

EDIT: just gotta be creative... there´s tons of ways to get gear to the beach. Exploding boccia balls, kevlar plated surf boards as shields (with weapon compartments), pistols hidden in inflatable rubber ducks, durathread reinforced neoprene suits, picnic baskets filled with c4... i don't mind wasting a whole turn just to unpack those things, but beach missions need at least a fighting chance.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:57:31 am by TheCurse »

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 12:42:13 pm »
Since you're talking about surfboarding...
I have this item in UFOpedia but I can't buy it!
And at the beginning of a mission on the beach my agents don't have any!  ???
Maybe because there's something missing from the categories?

- type: STR_SURFBOARD
    categories: [STR_HUMAN_TECH, STR_LAND]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:47:34 pm by BlackStaff »

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 01:05:51 pm »
On the Osiron beach missions there are generally surfboards scattered all over, I don't think you loot them and it's intended for them to not be available anywhere else. I think they are just supposed to be thematic, cause it's a beach mission.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 01:09:01 pm »
On the Osiron beach missions there are generally surfboards scattered all over, I don't think you loot them and it's intended for them to not be available anywhere else. I think they are just supposed to be thematic, cause it's a beach mission.
;D
So I translate your words as:
"Xcom isn't even capable of providing equipment to its agents!"
 ;D

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 04:37:58 pm »
Oh, they are... but someone forbid them from bringing guns to the beach... >_>

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 04:57:12 pm »
Technically yes, it is somewhere. Doubt everyone reads the whole thing though ^^

Then they can go die in a ditch or something. I painstakingly wrote all this shit (and made it as clear and attractive as possible) to help people; if they're too lazy to read, then I'll spare no sympathy.

But having "concealable" on some weapons is very confusing in that case, since it does not fully mean what you´d expect from it.
(E.g. its not that simple...)

True, it's not that simple, which is why there are multiple articles on other types of concealable stuff (sports, work, etc.) - if this can be clarify somehow, I'm open to suggestions.

Seems in 1.2 spypistol on beach not anymore.
Certainly do not like that...  :-\

Yes, even a spy pistol is too big to hide in your swimming trunks - as Mathel said.

Since you're talking about surfboarding...
I have this item in UFOpedia but I can't buy it!
And at the beginning of a mission on the beach my agents don't have any!  ???
Maybe because there's something missing from the categories?

- type: STR_SURFBOARD
    categories: [STR_HUMAN_TECH, STR_LAND]

They're all around the place, man.

;D
So I translate your words as:
"Xcom isn't even capable of providing equipment to its agents!"
 ;D

I could make them purchasable if you wanted... But that would be rather pointless, and kinda silly... Also would mean that you'd always collect all the surfboards found on this mission :)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:16:26 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 05:18:52 pm »
Reue, it's not that simple, which is why there are multiple articles on other types of concealable stuff (sports, work, etc.) - if this can be clarify somehow, I'm open to suggestions.
i suppose an ufopedia entry that fills with stuff as you research it is not possible. (e.g. one for beach, one for industrial, etc)
then maybe either drop the concealable from the item description (since thats the confusing part), or add the beach/work stuff too.

Then they can go die in a ditch or something. I painstakingly wrote all this shit (and made it as clear and attractive as possible) to help people; if they're too lazy to read, then I'll spare no sympathy.
yes and no. everyone who does not read the whole pedia at least once should. its gold ^^
the articles are there, but the whole matter is neither intuitive (which item you can take where), nor simple enough to have it in mind all the time (due item and different special mission count).
why is a crossbow beach gear. thats unexpected.
also spy pistols not anymore. that got me by surprise, and ended with 4 nakes agents with knifes against osiris... >_>

to actually make it clear i only see 2 options: either plain visible on each item in ufopedia (like concealed is), or a complete list somewhere.
favored would probably be first solution, since it could probably be done by small icons on the pedia picture. looks nice and plain visible.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 06:22:12 pm »
i suppose an ufopedia entry that fills with stuff as you research it is not possible. (e.g. one for beach, one for industrial, etc)
then maybe either drop the concealable from the item description (since thats the confusing part), or add the beach/work stuff too.

Maybe rename it to something more straightforward? I'm not sure what the work would be... Basically stuff you can carry under your jacket or on full display without attracting attention. Items which as 1x1 or 1x2, or common on civilians...

yes and no. everyone who does not read the whole pedia at least once should. its gold ^^
the articles are there, but the whole matter is neither intuitive (which item you can take where), nor simple enough to have it in mind all the time (due item and different special mission count).

Okay, information may not be organized as well as I would like. Will try to address it after 1.3.

why is a crossbow beach gear. thats unexpected.

Fishing!

also spy pistols not anymore. that got me by surprise, and ended with 4 nakes agents with knifes against osiris... >_>

Well, that's exactly what equipment filters are for...

to actually make it clear i only see 2 options: either plain visible on each item in ufopedia (like concealed is), or a complete list somewhere.
favored would probably be first solution, since it could probably be done by small icons on the pedia picture. looks nice and plain visible.

Both solutions are (sort of) already there: the INFO button and the item filters.