aliens

Author Topic: Yet another question about guns and ammo  (Read 2231 times)

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
Yet another question about guns and ammo
« on: March 13, 2020, 10:00:45 pm »
First, I want to say thanks for making such an amazing mod.

My question is, how reasonable would it be to make weapons accept ammo based on bullet caliber rather than 'Glock ammo'?

For example, a 9mm clip would work with MPK5 and the Glock. The damage stat is assigned by the ammo type anyways. X-Com could be given permission to use higher caliber ammunition at promotions in addition to new weapons. This would add some life to older weapons which can accept large ammo types.

Just a thought and was wondering about how it might work.

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another question about guns and ammo
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 11:28:57 pm »
That doesn't make sense to me. Even if guns use the same ammunition, they still use different magazines (with some exceptions and those are represented in the game). Having ammo and magazines as seperate items would be a hassle to play and a hassle to code I imagine.
And what do you mean by:
This would add some life to older weapons which can accept large ammo types.
?
Do you mean put larger caliber ammunition into a gun, than it usually holds? That is physically impossible.

Besides
Spoiler:
You get stronger ammunition for many old weapons later on, made out of alien alloys.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 01:00:30 pm »
First of all, thank you very much for the kind words.

As for the ammo approach, I guess it would be doable, but it would require a lot of redesigning from ground up. Because of how the game works, the same ammo type for different weapons may have different properties, for example the Mauser gets bonus damage from shooter's accuracy but other 9mm pistols don't, and bonus damage is an ammo property, not a weapon property. And also there's the elephant in the room Akimbo mentioned - different guns use magazines of different sizes.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 01:52:46 pm »
Because of how the game works, the same ammo type for different weapons may have different properties, for example the Mauser gets bonus damage from shooter's accuracy but other 9mm pistols don't, and bonus damage is an ammo property, not a weapon property.
This soon will be not be true anymore, I had already partially implemented functionality that allow access to ammo and weapon items in stat bonuses calculation.
Because of lot of refactors, adding attack type and skills is nearly done.
This will give:
a) Ammo can affect accuracy of weapon
b) Damage can be change by weapon
c) Each attack type can have different damage even it use same weapon/ammo combo

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 11:08:39 pm »
Is it possible that certain firemodes require 1 or 2 hands?
E.g. pistol aimed shot may need 2 hands on non-light pistols... Or generally rifles for aimed shots.
Not that its required, just thought it might be a neat idea.
Imagine an aimed straight-arm shot from a magnum or desert eagle. Well better use 2 hands.
Aimed shot with a rifle with 1 hand? Not gonna happen. Unless its a sawed off.  ;)

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 05:44:48 am »
^^^^^
That would be sick.
and it would probably be the only thing required to fix the idea of pistols being Op that was mentioned in another thread.