Author Topic: Why is literally nothing correct on the getting started wiki?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Gliks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Rulesets_(OpenXcom)

data/ruleset doesn't exist

Xcom1Ruleset.rul doesn't exist

that isn't how options.cfg is setup when you open it

how are noobs supposed to get started doing this when none of the information provided is valid
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:07:34 pm by NineX »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Why is literally nothing correct on the getting started wiki?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 09:57:14 pm »
Because that's the old reference. Here's the reference you want to be looking at.

Offline Gliks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 08:21:44 am »
Because that's the old reference. Here's the reference you want to be looking at.

i mean, that's great but it doesn't help me get started

how can i mod a laser pistol if i don't have the original laser pistol values to work from? just WING IT and then go in game and test to see if the values aren't wildly out of balance?

thank you for at least giving me a hint on how to proceed. it's more than the wiki did which is just confuse and misdirect

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 08:56:38 am »
i mean, that's great but it doesn't help me get started

how can i mod a laser pistol if i don't have the original laser pistol values to work from? just WING IT and then go in game and test to see if the values aren't wildly out of balance?

thank you for at least giving me a hint on how to proceed. it's more than the wiki did which is just confuse and misdirect
The wiki was written for 1.0 and nobody's updated it since, I'll see if I can fix it up this weekend.

In the meantime your best reference is other mods. All the built-in mods (including UFO/TFTD) can be found in the "OpenXcom\standard" installation directory, you can crack them open in any text editor, that should help you get started.

Offline Gliks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 09:50:42 am »
aye

thanks for the heads up and tips

any advice you might have about installing OXCE? i got what appeared to be the right doohicky "https://openxcom.org/oxce/release/Extended-6.3.4-05e65c482-2020-01-11-win64.7z" and unpacked it, but it didn't make a directory in "my documents" like openxcom did, so i have no idea where to install "area 51" to since it's telling me it needs to be installed to the mods directory in "my documents" to work

of course installing it to the mods directory in openxcom didn't fly. well.. i mean it flew until i had to go on a mission then it blew up and fell to the ground on fire :(

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 09:54:21 am »
aye

thanks for the heads up and tips

any advice you might have about installing OXCE? i got what appeared to be the right doohicky "https://openxcom.org/oxce/release/Extended-6.3.4-05e65c482-2020-01-11-win64.7z" and unpacked it, but it didn't make a directory in "my documents" like openxcom did, so i have no idea where to install "area 51" to since it's telling me it needs to be installed to the mods directory in "my documents" to work

of course installing it to the mods directory in openxcom didn't fly. well.. i mean it flew until i had to go on a mission then it blew up and fell to the ground on fire :(

It creates the directory when it starts, not when unpacked.

And it is the same directory as for openxcom, so if you already have it, there is nothing else to create.

Offline Gliks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 09:56:35 am »
It creates the directory when it starts, not when unpacked.

which means it's crashing for an entirely different reason. this i can deal with. going to try it again with all the other mods disabled

thank you

Offline Gliks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 10:08:13 am »
oh, it's because i'm a moron and double clicked the openxcom shortcut to start the game instead of the OXCE icon...

:-\

Offline Gliks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 10:13:02 pm »
how do i get rid of an entry. like say

compatibleAmmo:     STR_PLASMA_PISTOL_CLIP

if i remove the line from the ruleset, it just uses the default which is the exact same line. i've tried leaving it blank. putting in "none". both don't seem to help

currently i have clipSize: -1 for STR_PLASMA_PISTOL_CLIP as a workaround but i'd like to just get rid of the clip altogether to keep infinite ammo guns consistent

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 11:02:49 pm »
there is no such entry as you have mentioned anywhere, a correct entry looks like this:

compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_PLASMA_PISTOL_CLIP

and if you want to remove it, you can do this:

compatibleAmmo: []

Offline Gliks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 05:17:50 am »
a correct entry looks like this:

compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_PLASMA_PISTOL_CLIP

sorry, was pulling from memory

and if you want to remove it, you can do this:

compatibleAmmo: []

that's what i needed, much thankly sir