aliens

Author Topic: What's left to implement finishable game?  (Read 19157 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: What's left to implement finishable game?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 03:30:28 pm »
auto-recovering is a possible solution, but it's not really believable. especially in TFTD's two-stage terror missions, you probably wouldn't walk around and recover all items, because your main mission is to save the civilians - including those inside the ship. you don't have time to collect all the stuff. but if you are given the choice to take a turn or two more to pick up at least some stuff, it would actually make sense in in-game terms.

maybe the best option would actually be to force the use of the elevator? instead of advancing to the next stage once every alien is killed, the game simply informs you that all aliens in the current stage are dead, but you only advance to the next stage by bringing all your units into the elevator-zone.

on the other hand, this might cause some frustration if some random stunned alien recovers while you are moving to the elevator... the player thinks he's fine, but then the elevator doesn't work because there's another alien somewhere... of course, if the alien AI is reasonably aggressive (and actually capable of picking up weapons), this shouldn't be a problem. in the original, the frustrating "bug-hunt for the unarmed frightened alien" would be quite tedious.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 03:43:48 pm »
... or you could just take extra clips and grenades with you?

forward planning is essential.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 03:54:16 pm »
auto-recovering is a possible solution, but it's not really believable. especially in TFTD's two-stage terror missions, you probably wouldn't walk around and recover all items, because your main mission is to save the civilians - including those inside the ship. you don't have time to collect all the stuff. but if you are given the choice to take a turn or two more to pick up at least some stuff, it would actually make sense in in-game terms.
But that's irrelevant to a multi-stage mission anyway, because the turns will only be for the "map" you're on, and if you've killed all the aliens, there won't be any civilians in any danger until you complete and exit the map anyway.
There are no "time" links between stages in missions, just as there isn't between missions and the geoscape.

Auto-recovery makes the most "game" sense IMO, otherwise I'd just get bored going backwards and forwards collecting ammo. Like i said, it's not as though it affects the 2nd (3rd, or nth stage) in any way

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 07:13:37 pm »
Would someone care to put "TU penalties by weight-strength ratio" to the Battlescape section of the feature list?
Warboy? :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 08:09:37 am »
added, but...
you DO know it's a wiki, right?
ANYONE can edit a wiki.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 10:00:51 am »
... or you could just take extra clips and grenades with you?

forward planning is essential.

Yeah, this is how I played the multi-stage missions too, if you shoot down an alien in the first stage, you walk up to him and collect the ammo (like looting in RPGs :p), I don't remember having that much ammo problems. (always have a few spare laser weapons that never run out of ammo)

But a choice to switch stage manually is a good idea, someone that wants the old behaviour just has to press the abort button immediatly, others can do whatever they want.

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »
you DO know it's a wiki, right?
ANYONE can edit a wiki.
Anyone, who has an account. :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 08:48:48 am »
ok, i think i've done all i can for now, i don't want to touch anything in the battlescape until Daiky makes his changes/additions.

@Daiky: any chance of a progress report?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 05:35:09 pm »
@Daiky: any chance of a progress report?
Sure :) unfortunately not much to report. What kind of development you had in mind - would the cydonia mission things be blocking it?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 05:40:33 pm »
i was gonna tackle some bugfixes, probably nothing that would affect/be affected by cydonia, i just don't want to even run the risk of causing any conflicts.

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 05:42:08 pm »
We want to know how's cydonia implementation is going ;) Is there a chance it will be finished this year?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 05:54:08 pm »
This year yes, my holiday starts 17th of december which normally gives me plenty of time to finish everything battlescape related still left to do, and more...  but that's secret  8)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 05:57:55 pm »
so i can take this to mean "do whatever you want to the battlescape before the 17th"?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 06:11:16 pm »
yes, especially if you feel like tackling bugfixes, it's best to get them out the sooner the better

Offline bazik

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 11:17:54 am »
guys, just curious, whats Multi-UFO Alien Missions which left for implent? they were in original game?