Author Topic: Updating OpenXCom crashes old Area 51 save files  (Read 442 times)

Offline tarsolyger

• Captain
    • View Profile
Updating OpenXCom crashes old Area 51 save files
« on: February 29, 2020, 05:20:30 am »
Hi!

I am using the old Area 51 mod from back in 2018 (I didn't want to update the mod while I'm playing it), with the slight modification suggested at https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7379.0.html to the game to work.
And I've been using the git version of r2855_gb786a9b0e without no problem. I tried to update my game (still not the mod) to the current, r2911_g47700c398 git version but there is some weird behavior of the game.

First, I shot down a terror ship which I couldn't land at with the "Map block is not of the size specified MAPS/UFO_150A.MAP is 20x30 , expected: 30x20" error. I thought, this might be a problem with the new version, but then I reloaded the b786a9b0e version and if I load the same savegame (1st savegame), go on the same mission, the game crashes. I managed to reproduce this situation, and saved the error log: https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/pgfmsX2GFF/

What solved this situation is that I got the Blackbird target the crashsite, sent it back home, then sent it out again, now the mission starts. Okay, so I played the game for a while, and there was an other mission, which started successfully so I saved the game there (2nd savegame), and updated to 47700c398 version.

Now, if I start load the 1st savegame (before the crash at the crashsite), I get the following errors: https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/TbsN2TMWPt/
If I load the 2nd savegame I get the following error with segmentation fault: https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/GqByYgNPWC/

Now if I downgrade back to the b786a9b0e version, I can load the 2nd savegame with no problem (the 1st one produces a totally reproducible crash or not crash, based on whether I go directly to recover the UFO or whether I go back to the base and go on recovery mission again.

I know that both OpenXCom and Area 51 are being continuously developed and upgraded, so if it's not possible to solve this issue with the new version, I guess, I'll have to live with it and either play the old versions or try to upgrade both Area 51 and the game engine, but that would seem like a dangerous endeavor if I want to continue my current gameplay to completion. So, if it is possible to tune my existing Area51 version by maybe changing a few files to be compatible with the new OpenXCom version, that would be a solution I could work with.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the issue! I greatly appreciate the work you guys do!

P.S.:
Also, while writing this comment, now I did loaded a savegame that I saved before the 1st savegame and played it up to the point of shooting down the UFO, and if I send the blackbird to recover it, now the game does not crash (old version). I have no idea why the old version crashed the first time (and a few times, leading me to save the game right before the mission).

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Updating OpenXCom crashes old Area 51 save files
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 06:18:43 am »
I've attached two .zip files to this post.

Unzipping the ufos_Area_51.ZIP to \OpenXcom\mods\Area 51 v0.972\Ruleset\ and replacing the existing rile should solve the /UFO_150A.MAP error.

Unzipping the TERRAIN.ZIP attached file to \OpenXcom\mods\Area 51 v0.972\TERRAIN\ and replace the existing files will solve the UFOL83 issue (and a couple other ones).

If they persist, just post a reply. I'm still working on the next update, which will be an extensive redesign so it will take some time before I update the release.

Offline tarsolyger

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Updating OpenXCom crashes old Area 51 save files
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 07:17:38 am »
Thank you!
These changes seemingly solved my problems!