Author Topic: UFO aliens using breathing equipment underwater.  (Read 6168 times)

wcho035

UFO aliens using breathing equipment underwater.
« on: February 24, 2020, 04:15:45 pm »
Hi Guys, with the release of my mod. I wish to also release these resources for anyone whom are interested. They are UFO aliens, sectoid, snakeman, Floater, Ethereals and Mutons. Using breathing equipment underwater.

This resources is now in use with my Hybrid mod. Please check it out if you want to see it.

Also please credit me if you wish to use it in your mod. The rulesets are the same as in ufo enemy unknown for all these PCKs

To all this resource is no longer available.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:38:29 am by Precentor Apollyon »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UFO aliens using breathing equipment underwater.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 05:01:08 pm »
credit me if you wish to use it

You can't limit usage of vanilla resources just because you modified a few pixels.

The copyright and the distribution permissions belong to Microprose and Microprose only.

wcho035

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 05:26:03 pm »
Alright.. I didn't know. Anyway, it is for all to use.

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 05:34:43 pm »
Now is there a way to target the breathing equipment, or it starting to malfunction after an explosion? The result will be either direct damage to aliens or the reduction of their abilities.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 05:41:57 pm »
Now is there a way to target the breathing equipment, or it starting to malfunction after an explosion? The result will be either direct damage to aliens or the reduction of their abilities.

Not directly - there's nothing in the engine that designates something as 'breathing equipment', just some bubble sprites drawn on units when you decide the mission is 'underwater'.

You can write some scripts to simulate it though - setting energy/stun/HP changes per turn related to taking damage, or even primary stat penalties like accuracy loss. It'd take quite some work to communicate these things visually to the point a player could easily say, "oh, looks like the breathing equipment is malfunctioning" though.

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 07:37:03 pm »
Not directly - there's nothing in the engine that designates something as 'breathing equipment', just some bubble sprites drawn on units when you decide the mission is 'underwater'.

You can write some scripts to simulate it though - setting energy/stun/HP changes per turn related to taking damage, or even primary stat penalties like accuracy loss. It'd take quite some work to communicate these things visually to the point a player could easily say, "oh, looks like the breathing equipment is malfunctioning" though.
BTW, why not give all underwater aliens the ability to swim? (and maybe some floating animation when they are above the soil). It is a bit strange how they are magnetized to the soil. Maybe with some handicaps, like spending full movement to change Z levels for non-amphibious units without a jetpack. Then there could also be several grades of swim equipment.

In addition there could be maps with both underwater and above water segments. Like say a sewer or a shore map.

I think underwater mechanics could be greatly extended and improved. Since originally MicroProse made the game in a few months, without the time for any changes to the game logic.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 07:48:38 pm »
BTW, why not give all underwater aliens the ability to swim?

Piratez did it!

In addition there could be maps with both underwater and above water segments. Like say a sewer or a shore map.

Piratez did it!

I think underwater mechanics could be greatly extended and improved. Since originally MicroProse made the game in a few months, without the time for any changes to the game logic.

Piratez... will probably do it sooner or later!

:D

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 12:10:31 am »
Right now, if you're are looking for changes to some core modding ideas, first, look at xpirates then xfiles, you'll probably find 'em

:)

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 07:53:34 pm »
Please check it out if you want to see it.
Could you please upload the sprite sheets for the aliens with breathing equipment as image files?

I tried to use Falko's excellent tool to convert them from .pck to .png but I was unsuccessful.

wcho035

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 08:58:01 pm »
I don’t have them any more. They should be unlockable using falko’s tool. What are you planning to do with them?

wcho035

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 08:59:29 pm »
For every one’s info, I copy and paste from TFTD deep one breathing thing to all UFO Aliens.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 10:38:10 pm »
They should be unlockable using falko’s tool.

I dropped each of the .PCK and .TAB files into Falko's tool however when I pressed the convert button it changed into an Error message.

This is the first time I've tried to convert a .PCK file to .PNG so perhaps I'm doing it incorrectly?

What are you planning to do with them?

My plan is to use these as variants of standard aliens that have immunity to certain airborne effects and weapons due to the equipment they are wearing.

wcho035

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 04:32:16 am »
Try using pckview from mapview2, I use it originally to create those pck files.

wcho035

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 01:33:38 pm »
Here are the original sprite sheet after extraction again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:43:23 am by Precentor Apollyon »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 05:07:24 am »
Thank you!

These are exactly what I was hoping for.