aliens

Author Topic: Regarding the proper use of some Auxilia Troops.  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Gastberend_2

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Regarding the proper use of some Auxilia Troops.
« on: February 06, 2020, 03:49:18 am »
One question here ( or many ), i am currently playing the last version of the mod, i choose the Gal Path ( Dont know if i would play the Male Branch )
I currently have a Hero, a Peasant, 2 Lok'nars, a Gnome, and a sexy female BugEye  ;D.

My current tactics:
I often go to battle with a a team of 6 hands ( 5 gals and an auxilia on a SNAKE ):
2 Gals with ranged weapons often one with a Sniper Rifle and the other with a Gatling Gun.
2 Gals with Melee plus a high powered pistol, but i currently exchange it for a Super-Charger-Laser from Jack due to the Plasma Cutting attack.
1 Gal with Demolition equipment, RPG + Explosives.
1 Auxilia, often a BugEye because i can use it as medic and can be trained to a high VooDoo Skill level, plus can use terror and possession.

The tactics are somewhat conventional, i use ranged Gals to clear the drop zone from the vantage point at the top of the Ship, while melee Gals clear enemies that are close enough to strike and get back inside in a single turn, then ranged gals cover the melee gals and start sweeping the map.
Wound recovery time is part of the tactics as it allows me to rotate the Gals, if none are wounded, the the gals with the highest Firing or Melee stats are deployed.

So i depend Elite Assault gals equiped with the best Armor and weapons available, one exception are the case of WeirdGals that are Equipped with VooDoo equipment and takes the place of a Melee Gal.

For Air Assault i use a Fully equiped Fighter with Plasma Spitter and Seagul launchers, the pilots are 2 Lok' nars, equiped with suppresed pistols ( due to high reaction Stats of Lok'nar ), perhaps some laser pistol.

Should a battle be too dificult i reatreat regardless of penalties ( even on mutant progroms ).

Now... Besides Gals, Lok'nars and BugEye, i have a problem understanding the other auxilia

Hero/Slave Soldier:
The hero seems to be a glorified Slave Soldier, but i cant find a coherent tactical plan for the use of Slave Soldiers, the only thing that i believe could be useful is for a mass attack on an enemy base, i cant find something useful for SS besides using the as human shields or suicide scouts in open areas, could anyone share any experience with Slave Soldiers?

Gnome:
The Lok'nars are better combatants, the only difference is the High VooDoo power ( 90 ) , what i found is that i cant train Gnome VooDoo Skills while i can give the Gnome some Staff the inability to train VD. Skill makes BugEye better in that regard if enough grinding is done, recommendations?

Peasants:
While Peasants can be trained to a somewhat equal level as a Gal, even then, i find little reasons to keep Peasants while i can pay for Gals that can be equipped with better Armor and higher strength allows for better equipment to be carried, SS seem to have better stats, any suggestions on how to properly use peasants? perhaps using them in tandem with SS, but i still cant think of a tactical plan for this hands....

I imagine that the case for Peasants/SS could be regarding the economics as they are cheaper to maintain so higher numbers could be deployed, even then, if i keep a reduced but highly capable squad of Gals i dont find much need for this kinds of hands.

in regard of the Gnome is still somewhat of a mystery yet to me i imagine that they have a valuable niche use, but yet i am unable to understand its proper use.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the proper use of some Auxilia Troops.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 05:53:41 am »
Well, this all depends on what version you're playing.  In the newer versions, there doesn't seem to be much point in SS/peasant due to the economics changing.  But if you're still playing before K1 mostly peasants were good for base defense and mass early game attacks.  SS for the same reason (they're basically peasants but with firing skill), although SS also has the extra notable trait that they do not lose morale over time.

So some early game maps, like those godawful multi-level apartment complexes, your gals will be crapping their pants and growing weary because they can't find any enemies to kill, but SS can handle that and walk off with a bunch of hostages.  Hostages in general in early game maps are also probably easier to amass since if you get some dogs for night vision and a bunch of dudes with rubber bullets you can slowly enslave everyone/

But honestly the playstyle is a bit tedious, and is nerfed to oblivion in the new versions since SS in trucks will actually cost you more maintenance than hands in a blowfish. I guess you could use "named dogs" if you want to go with huge amounts of dudes, though.

Gnomes are all about tanks I've read, though I haven't gotten that far.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:04:38 am by Greep »

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 02:03:35 pm »
Female path doesn't have much use from other units, besides some more specific roles.
Gals are generalists, good for each and every combat scenario.

Peasants and SS are about equal with minor changes, however they both fit into Tanks (Gals only fit into armored cars) so it is one of the uses you can get from them. Tank is really, really strong and can save your game if you encounter bigger threats earlier than you should like Mercs, or Star Gods.
However Gnome also fits there (and thanks to higher HP is better suited for that role), but they are rarer and thanks to current freshness you might need replacement for Gnome from time to time.

Both SS, Bugeye and Peasants can use Loader Power Armor thus giving them another role of transporting supplies around the battlefield and good armor (Gals get severe TU nerfs from wearing power armor).

There are also special missions that gals can't go, so it is always good to keep few of them.
SS and peasants have higher freshness than Gals have, so if you are doing many missions in one month, you might find your gals to lose morale and regenerate less stamina when other units that were with them on the same missions don't suffer such condition.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:47:21 pm »
The history of peasants is this:
In earlier versions of the mod, you could recruit gals from the start. This was scrapped at some point and moved up the tech tree, so now you had no way to buy troops. Then peasants were introduced, as the first troops you can recruit. Them beeing worse than gals is kinda the point. So yeah, once you have enough gals or can recruit them, there is little reason anymore to hire or use peasants.
There are some niche uses however.
- Cheap, so if you need pilots for radar craft like Pigeons and Spy Zeppelin, peasants are your best choice.
- As mentioned, there are a few missions later where gals are not allowed to go. If you want to do these missions, keep a squad of peasants around. Especially those with high voodoo stat (hint hint).
- Gambling is available very early and you can get special armors that way long before you can research them. Namely frogman and space suits, but just the human version. If you don't play gold codex, you will most likely not have space suits for your gals for your first space missions. Then peasants in space suits will be much better than gals.

For slave soldiers and heroes, the gambling thing applies too of course. But they can get even more useful stuff than peasants. Crusader armor for example. Of course, you need to gamble to get these benefits (highly recommanded, gambling is a good money maker).

Gnomes (and heroes) special perk is that they can get really high bravery. Some vehicle weapons get accuracy bonuses from bravery, so gnomes and heroes make especially deadly vehicle pilots. As already mentioned, the high end vehicles can not be piloted by gals anyway.