Author Topic: [Suggestion] Mentall Armor (PSI Shield)  (Read 6542 times)

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Mentall Armor (PSI Shield)
« on: February 03, 2020, 02:05:35 am »
*Mentalist Psionics Block"

(yap, idea comes from Isaac Asimov´ Foundations series..)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:32:34 pm by RolandVasko »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [Suggestion] Psi Armor (Mentall Shield)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:42:28 pm »
That would require an anti-psi version of ALL the armours, because why would one of them get the option and another not?

So... No.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 02:31:53 pm »
That would require an anti-psi version of ALL the armours, because why would one of them get the option and another not?

nah, that´d require either the "ultimate" armors to have some psi-armor, or (maybe better) some specialized ones, expensive and with heavy trade offs...
Noone said you could combine it with any existing armor... it may just be too clumsy/expensive/heavy/effort...  ;)

E.g. you have a very expensive anti-psi armor, unfortunately it doesn't really stop bullets... maybe too sensitive electronics and whatnot.  ;D
So you may use those against sectiods/ethereals psi, with the cost that they one-shot you with plasma pistols again.
May be a great use for maxed out soldiers with low psi in later game. They can still kill without endangering the whole squad. Until they get hit about once...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 03:48:36 pm »
The thing is, I can't see a good in-universe explanation for why you can wear a tinfoil hat on a Power Suit but not a Personal Armour.

At best it would require a new line consisting of at least several new armours at different tech levels. I didn't want to do that before and I still think it is too much of a bloat.

While psi obviously can be used with devices, making a whole line of armours is a bit too far for just this. I'd rather assume you cannot effectively shield yourself from psi, which is an okay assumption.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 04:27:43 pm »
The thing is, I can't see a good in-universe explanation for why you can wear a tinfoil hat on a Power Suit but not a Personal Armour.

ah, we had different assumptions.
I´d imagine it not as a tinfoil hat, but a rather sophisticated heavy counter-measure device, which by its weight, power consumption etc could only be included in heavy (or specialized) stuff. E.g. it takes a unit alien electronics and serious energy supply to build. You could wear it without a specialized armor. If you could walk around with a 150kg tin foil hat with built in brain wave normalizer...  ;)

as a simple (or passive) device you´re totally right, that would not make any sense without a complete overhaul.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 04:42:33 pm »
I get your point, but I think this niche is already taken by the AI units. It will be even fuller after I add the Enforcer chassis.

Offline Alazar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 04:59:36 pm »
I get your point, but I think this niche is already taken by the AI units. It will be even fuller after I add the Enforcer chassis.

Or you could put stat buffing items in inventory like Dioxine did in Piratez, also a good example is UFO: Extraterestrials, you got carry shields and anti psi helmet.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 07:28:27 pm »
Or you could put stat buffing items in inventory like Dioxine did in Piratez, also a good example is UFO: Extraterestrials, you got carry shields and anti psi helmet.

Yes, that's the best solution. However, to make it elegant enough to be passable in XCF we'd need a designated slot for it, because I think keeping it in the backpack or on the belt would be weird. But maybe I'm exaggerating.

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 02:38:35 am »

..yes, or just like in Diablo 2 - items with bonuses (just passive´ly keep and bear them in Inventory (backpack), to activate these various bonuses, ("profit" from them..)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 11:43:47 am »
Yes, that's the best solution. However, to make it elegant enough to be passable in XCF we'd need a designated slot for it, because I think keeping it in the backpack or on the belt would be weird. But maybe I'm exaggerating.

If the helmet idea isn't enough, what about a bulky device that is meant to be carried as a backpack? That way, it makes perfect sense to have it in the backpack or the belt slot.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 03:32:49 pm »
If the helmet idea isn't enough, what about a bulky device that is meant to be carried as a backpack? That way, it makes perfect sense to have it in the backpack or the belt slot.

Yeah, I think it's acceptable.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 05:44:22 pm »
but... what about AI units? >_>
jk, like this idea.
Gives some purpose for the low-psi maxed out soldiers you collected by mid game, which then are completely useless since psi stuff...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 07:30:29 pm »
Any ideas what research would enable such a device? What would the prerequisites be?

(not too early)

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 08:18:23 pm »
Depends on the strength of the psi armor.
If its just a little improvement something like a medium psi user (heh, a psi medium...), e.g. sectoid leader or similar would suffice. High device costs though.
If its really a psi shield you can put on a low psi soldier to shield it from not-too-close ethereals... well then at least ethereal leader and significant cost, like alien electronics to build one. And elerium, for the power supply. Or some parts out of alien entertainment... finally a use for them...

Research needed would be psi (duh...) and effects of psi use on the brain of the victim. Thats what the device needs to counter act.
Something like psi control experiments. On humans. Prisoners maybe... Redhead intel lady would have a field day with that  ;)

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 04:12:25 am »
amybe, it would be best as whole, relatively new armour (amybe any power armour kinda, or maybe just armor outfit ), with -especially focusing on - helmet

(yap, indeed smthng like that "famous thin tin foil hat" heheh :o :D :p :P lôl
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:29:49 pm by RolandVasko »