Author Topic: base on several levels  (Read 3032 times)

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
base on several levels
« on: February 02, 2020, 02:16:05 am »
I've just read an article on the forum wher apparently you can build a base on several levels.
Is it possible to have it in XCF ?
restricting the number of buildings and or the level were a given building can be built can be a way to maintain balance.
Level 1 hangar, base defense, grav shield all for technical reasons, gyms, living quarters (theoretically rookies and sergeants  for supervision )
Level 2 -: research, manufacture, living quarters, living quarters (theoretically engineers and scientists)
level 3: the top secret level jails, sick bay, psi labs, interrogation, biolab, headquarters, mind shield, living quarters (theoretically helix knights, captains and above)

possibility to have a level 0 as cover reflecting some level 1 buildings, maybe garage for cars, minefields.

l

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: base on several levels
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 07:20:12 am »
Why? You have 8 bases, where you can build whatever you want.

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 11:24:19 am »
Standard big base on FMP
30 Soldiers
70 Engineers
100 Scientists

Access Lift [1]
1 Large Living Quarter [4]
1 Large Warehouse [4]
3 Hangars (1 raven, 1 teamship, 1 empty for construction or a radar craft or a second raven or an Avenger) [12]
2 Labs [2]
2 Workshops [2]
4 fusion defense+gravshield+mindshield [6] (even if mindshield is most of the time useless once the base location is known)
1 hyperwave decoder [1]
1 alien detention [1]
3 Psi Labs [3]
 TOTAL: 36 squares

XCF have way more buildings (some very very nice )
Also a bigger base map allows to use corridors and new defense buildings to have a true defense plan of the base.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:03:39 pm by betatester »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 11:06:19 am »
It certainly isn't possible.

In fact I submitted a similar request, because I want to have a surface level with separate buildings, but at this point it's just a pipe dream.

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 11:05:26 pm »
I thought about what seems the easiest way to accommodate all xcf buildings. Hangar could be at 4 crafts. This way you gain 8 squares on my complete base. "just" have to redesign ships icons, reduce height and width by half, and put them, next each other. No base defense change.
Also limit 1 hangar by base to avoid air domination.

Even if I kike the idea if multilevel base better this one is certainly simpler to implement
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:15:33 pm by betatester »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 12:11:31 am »
But I don't want this feature to have more space... There is enough space. I want this feature because it would be fun! :)

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 02:03:12 am »
I never use awacks because I have no place for them, I never used corridors for the same reason,  I feel sad when I don't use a mod at it's maximum. Your mod has 4 types of prison and a real need to keep lots of different types of prisoners,  A lot of research building that are also needed. Plenty of weapons, items and artifacts that you need to store if you want to use them. And since I'm not quite sure of what will be needed  I store a lot with occasional cleaning.
So yes a bigger base will ease my frustration aud increase my joy of playing this wonderful master-mod

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 12:24:34 am »
I'm no modder (or even programmer really), but surely there's a way to cheese this even with existing mechanics.

Here are my way too optimistic ideas:

1.  place two distinct bases right next to each other, that are linked somehow.
either you could have other levels placed automatically after you place and arrange the initial one, or have an "add level" button next to the "build new base button", for a cost that would be cheaper than making a whole new base.

these would be custom bases that are automatically named "[original base name] level 2", and have some way of sharing inventory and soldiers.

they would be shown as separate bases in the base selection menu, and maybe you could edit the list so that new levels were added next to old levels of the same base.

(I think it would make the most sense for new levels to be located further down (for base defense and imagination purposes))

2. sharing inventory could work by using the original base as the only inventory, then sensing when a new facility is added/removed to/from the level two/three bases, and add/subtract inventory space from the main base accordingly, while the level two/three bases don't have any increase in inventory ever.

alternatively if you couldn't sense when another base had something added, you could just set the transfer cost between the different levels to zero. this would be more annoying of course, but I think we could deal if it was the only way.

3. base defenses would be difficult of course. I imagine it working something like cydonia, where you clear one level first (starting from bottom?) then move up, with new levels generated by starting distinct but linked base defense missions on the "other bases" sequentially.

Sharing inventory would of course still be a problem here even if the above ideas worked.
it would be nice to be able to transfer soldiers and gear from the bottom levels to the top as you go, but if nothing else separate inventories could be used and you'd just have to have stock each level accordingly, then imagine that they're all happening semi-simultaneously to avoid immersion breaking.

so yeah, hope some of those work. I'm not feeling up to the task of actually learning the game well enough to try this, so... good luck.

--- posts merged to help both your OCD and mine :) - Solarius Scorch ---

And of course each new level would need an access lift as an elevator, which is also where aliens would spawn for the multi-level defenses.

that's probably obvious, but my ocd requires complete communication.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:40:50 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 08:24:01 am »
let´ try to make (code) multi-etaje base avalaible..

so, lets say, just 3 -levels would be fair and fine enought?

(or, well, very maximum 4 etajes, for any secret level, /eastern-egg, and secret mission.. )