Author Topic: Split from another thread  (Read 3673 times)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
Split from another thread
« on: January 29, 2020, 12:17:28 am »

Yes i am calling him publicly out here, since thanks to his tantrum I can basically scrap my mod (https://openxcom.mod.io/hardmode-expansion) which i spent time on creating since 2015. Thanks for nothing...

In mine opinion,
despite all the esteem and gratitude possible for that person :'(
I think that as for the material published as open source, it is not possible to revoke the free use or change the license retroactively. Someone could certainly change license on product updates, but therefore only on individual new or modified files.
I also assume that you have changed various files to make corrections that have not been implemented in the origin mod.
I think that files contained into  terrain pack up to rel 4.2, as example,  them remain free at all times.

An example of it, iTextSharp is a library to produce pdf file:
https://www.nuget.org/packages/iTextSharp/

up rel 5.5 this library is free, today too.
Next release, 7.x, is commercial and very expensive.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:23:29 am by davide »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: Split from another thread
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:03:04 am »
In mine opinion,
despite all the esteem and gratitude possible for that person :'(
I think that as for the material published as open source, it is not possible to revoke the free use or change the license retroactively. Someone could certainly change license on product updates, but therefore only on individual new or modified files.

Yes i did modify not only maps, but also MCD files. MCD files had a shit ton of bugs in them, so in the end i had to check all of them, each entry, that took a long time.
Maps were sometimes reworked, meaning i changed graphics or other stuff.

I also assume that you have changed various files to make corrections that have not been implemented in the origin mod.
I think that files contained into  terrain pack up to rel 4.2, as example,  them remain free at all times.

How would they be so? I do not understand.

An example of it, iTextSharp is a library to produce pdf file:
https://www.nuget.org/packages/iTextSharp/

up rel 5.5 this library is free, today too.
Next release, 7.x, is commercial and very expensive.

Please elaborate how that should help me with problem.

EDIT: Wait, are you saying that i could still use Version 4.2 or 4.1 of the terrain pack? Hobbes removed the download possibilities of those, but i still have a copy.

He told me that if i ever release a new Version of my own mod i had to remove his files. But he had given permission to use those before.

So what now i do not understand.

Also it would technically mean that we could use these old files to some degree in the community map pack?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:12:18 am by hellrazor »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 04:46:18 am »
Even if legally you are allowed to use Hobbes terrain because he had previously released them without any licence conditions and im not the guy to check the legalities of that) morally you should still follow his wishes, as we have, in the most part, been a pretty supportive and positive group of people here on these forums and i would hate to see the. Community start going the otherway where it is everyman for themselves. If we do become thay type of community, honestly i would walk away, why should anyone do anything for the greater good if everyone is only looking after number one.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 09:37:36 am »
I have split this discussion into a separate thread to prevent spamming.

EDIT: Wait, are you saying that i could still use Version 4.2 or 4.1 of the terrain pack? Hobbes removed the download possibilities of those, but i still have a copy.

He told me that if i ever release a new Version of my own mod i had to remove his files. But he had given permission to use those before.

No, you cannot use any version of terrain pack.

Hobbes said you do not have to remove download of the existing versions of your mod.
But if you release a new version, the terrain pack should be removed... any version of terrain pack.