aliens

Author Topic: Refueling Mechanics  (Read 1588 times)

Offline SDEDEN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Refueling Mechanics
« on: January 22, 2020, 03:14:27 am »
In the game engine, how does Craft refueling work? I'm watching a Curios Droid video right now on Air-to-Air refueling and it occurred to me that such capability would be worthwhile in X-COM. Would something like that be possible? To say, generate a "dogfight" between certain crafts that causes fuel to replenish?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Refueling Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 04:20:23 am »
Craft refueling just happens when the craft is at base - every 30 minutes, on x:30 and x:00 on the clock, the amount defined in the ruleset is added to the craft's fuel reserves.

As for the suggestion of mid-air refueling, I personally think that it's something that should just be left as abstract - the standard interceptor has a range much farther than any modern fighter should, and one way of rationalizing that is to just assume refueling happens as necessary to keep the craft in the air, and the fuel is when the craft needs regular maintenance to keep flying. Adding player input to mid-air refueling sounds like more tedium than it's worth when you can just increase the craft's range passively in a mod, or by adding a craft "weapon" that adds extra fuel to the craft's range.

Offline SDEDEN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Refueling Mechanics
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 04:27:55 am »
You have a point. I didn't realize it was possible to add fuel to a weapon pod.