Author Topic: Funding questions  (Read 3998 times)

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Funding questions
« on: January 12, 2020, 12:15:08 am »
I have 3 countries that contribute very poorly to my budget South Africa (1000), Indonesia (4000), Ireland (1000) with 0 monthly increase since the start of the game. I'm in November 98... Winter is coming.
These countries are under radar coverage.  The radar coverage isn't complete but quite extended (lacks the 2 poles that are only partially covered). Each base has 1 long range and 1 short range radar.
 I haven't chase only one UFO (a very large aggressive UFO, surely because some successful UFO crashes, that I couldn't crash and that hasn't landed on previous month).
I suspected some alien bases but I was unable to found any even after several patrols.
Are the governments infiltrated from the start ?
What can I do ?
Is there a way to find an alien base in a save game (only one occurrence of the word "base" on save game) just to be sure.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:18:54 am by betatester »

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Funding questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 01:15:51 am »
Same thing here. I've had this in several campaigns so far.

It seems that countries, which start at very low funding, never increase their funding, ever. I don't think there are any external influences like alien bases at fault, but I can't be sure.
My theory is, that when current funding is below a certain threshold (maybe 10.000?), then any increase will be rounded down to zero.

So basically those countries are a lost cause from the beginning and there is nothing, that can be done about it.
Maybe.
Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Then again, you're not losing out on much money, anyway. Look at your other lowest funding countries. Even if they increase their contribution every month, it still never amounts to much. Typically, countries, that contribute big to your budget in the beginning, will do so throughout the game and vice versa. Unless you screw up big time, that will never change.

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 04:00:40 am »
..maybe they´re just (too) economics´ poor..

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:13:55 am »
I have 3 countries that contribute very poorly to my budget South Africa (1000), Indonesia (4000), Ireland (1000) with 0 monthly increase since the start of the game. I'm in November 98... Winter is coming.

Don't pay too much attention for it. Be sure to maintain average score to gain maximum amount of monthly income (>2000 score = increasing for 15% from last mont income) and everything will be okay. ;)

These countries are under radar coverage. 

It does not really matter. If you will skip some missions on the territory of certain country, this country can decrease it's funding (if the score is too low, of course).

Each base has 1 long range and 1 short range radar.

Only ONE radar system works at the same time, so you no need to maintain more than ONE radar system on each base. The difference between them is about percentage of UFO detection. Hyperwave decoder has 100% chance to detect UFO.

Are the governments infiltrated from the start ?

No. They can be infiltrated from January of 1999 - when the invasion starts (the same situation about alien bases). If the G. was infiltrated you will see the message about it in the monthly report.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 09:37:06 am »
It never changes because the monthly increase is 5-20%, but in increments of 1000's... and thus gets rounded down to zero.

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 11:16:25 am »
perhaps minimum increment should be 1000. Even if they will be poor contributors it will be less ridiculous.

The more I think about it the more I think. Could Magma, Black ops and maybe others become contributors their funding increasing according to missions...

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 12:48:46 pm »
Only ONE radar system works at the same time, so you no need to maintain more than ONE radar system on each base. The difference between them is about percentage of UFO detection.

But wasn't that a bug in vanilla, which is now fixed? So having both kinds of radar adds up, as well as having several of the same type.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 12:50:17 pm »
On possibility is that there is a MiB base somewhere eating all your points.

I have recently removed this problem. If you want to give it a try, get the GitHub version from https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles; remember to also get the latest OXCE.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 03:52:21 pm »
But wasn't that a bug in vanilla, which is now fixed? So having both kinds of radar adds up, as well as having several of the same type.

Good question... I don't know. :-\
Really, I've never bothered about it. Bug or not, there are more important facilities to build. :)

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 04:05:55 pm »
Bug or not, there are more important facilities to build. :)

Agreed. You don't really need a high detection rate.

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 11:25:15 pm »
I always had the 2 types of radar in my oxc/fmp until I can build the hyperwave decoder. The short range is built fast and the long range is needed for coverage. And a slightly better detection range near the bases is a last resort before base defense.
My only concern in XCF is that a 36 squares base I used to build for my main bases will not accommodate the mod buildings.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 05:14:02 pm »
Oh, yes. And I have a lot of base modules ideas, tho, the player will not be able to fit it in current base layout. All we have is to choose to advance buildings to build one on another. But that will break the uniqueness of modules. Say, I made advanced BioLab and advanced IntelLab (I even maid sprites and maps for them). But then I realize that if I implement it the player will be able to build the second Biolab as he or she upgrades the first to Advanced BioLab.

Hm, maybe we could have a property that blocks the opportunity to build block if the base already has defined block.
Say,
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_BIO_LABORATORY
    cantBeBuildWith: [STR_ADV_BIO_LABORATORY, STR_FINNIKS_DREAM_OF_BIG_BASE]
    requires:
      - STR_BIO_LABORATORY
    spriteShape: 1
    spriteFacility: 871
    maxAllowedPerBase: 1
    provideBaseFunc: [BIOLAB]
    buildCost: 750000
    buildTime: 20
    monthlyCost: 70000
    sickBayAbsoluteBonus: 0.0
    sickBayRelativeBonus: 0.5
    labs: 5
    mapName: XBASS_28
    listOrder: 7060

Also, I would applaud to option to have a bigger base layout not limited to 36 tiles (with scrollbar, for example, to keep original resolution, or something like that)! Or, for example, we could have moddable option to have second layer of the base with more building cost on it. It would be opened with upgrading lift for 4 lvl map. And we can use Otto's verticalLevels, to generate base defence for such cases!
Сan a modder dream? :D