aliens

Author Topic: create a "facility" ?  (Read 2800 times)

Offline maphrawxxnxaksr

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
create a "facility" ?
« on: December 13, 2019, 02:54:01 pm »
Hi everybody! I’m Dome.
I was wondering: how hard would it be to have x-com bases that have sizes other than 6x6 small facilities?
I mean, other than the problem of actually displaying them in the basescape view, is it possible at all? restricting the game to a base of 4x4 (two hangars plus seven facilities or one hangar plus eleven facilities) or even 3x3 (one hangar plus four facilities) to make the game harder might be fun. or a modded game where you only have one base, but that base has 12x12 facility spaces?
is there any part of the base layout that is still so hardcoded that this would be completely impossible?
another interesting thing would be bases with other shapes (3x5? 2x8?) or spaces that cannot be built on... like in apoc. is there any easy way to make this possible? maybe it would be possible for "scenario"-type savegames to create a "facility" (named "rock" :) ) that does not need to be connected to the access lift and can only be placed or destroyed in debug mode? this would make it possible to reduce the available space.

Thank in advance.

Edit by Meridian: cleaned post from spam and banned
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:37:20 am by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: create a "facility" ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 06:56:54 pm »
It's not impossible, but it would have to be coded. Also you'd need to devise a way to communicate it clearly to the player that this base is 3x3, or 5x5, or whatever. Also if you want to have bases with different sizes, then how would it be decided?

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 08:07:02 pm »
Everything is possible and bases beyound 6x6 were done twice IIRC.

12x12 base is stupid - consider how many turns it would  take for a unit to get from one corner of it to its center.

As it is, even 6x6 has this unfortunate effect that units placed in corners have no time to get to the action before invaders are shot to hell.

If anything, multilevel bases are a better idea.

I'm also in favor of the idea of turning scientists and engineers loose as civilians.  That would be much fun.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 08:09:27 pm by Stoddard »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 10:28:07 pm »
If anything, multilevel bases are a better idea.

SPAM ALERT, my Multilevel base :)

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 02:06:58 am »
nice one, Luke :)

here's an idea i find interesting. Have a stock "rock" block as suggested in the OP. When a new base is created, automatically spawn rand(0,difficultylevel) rockblocks on his/her base layout.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 02:51:55 am »
I'm also in favor of the idea of turning scientists and engineers loose as civilians.  That would be much fun.

I thought about making them controllable, just really bad at combat... It would allow me to RP some obvious franchises. :)