Author Topic: Skyhawk's Wishlist  (Read 3092 times)

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Skyhawk's Wishlist
« on: December 08, 2019, 06:57:10 am »
Probably a bit presumptuous of me to start making requests when I've hardly published anything, but.... To the best of my knowledge the things listed below are not possible, please correct me if I'm wrong!

This is a list of features I'd like to see added to OXCE:

• Base Defense Facility ammunition - see here. [Moderate Want]
  • Method to restrict certain armors to psi-capable soldiers. [Badly Want]  -- SoldierTransformations offer a somewhat less than idea way to do this
  • Method to set Research projects to need any arbitrary item, not just an item with it's own name. [Moderate Want]
  • Ability to break apart 'Panic Unit' and 'Mind Control' for Psi-amp devices. I'd like to have a low-tier amp that's only good for panicking enemy units. [Mild want]
  • Ability for a research project to give more than one thing at a time. I'd like to keep the vanilla GetOneFree logic for interrogations, but have these research projects give other things at the same time. [Mild Want]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:31:49 pm by skyhawk »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: Skyhawk's Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:18:40 am »
1. -
2. Exist. Create new type of soldiers, then transform your gifted soldiers to that type.
3. +1
4. Exist. Look for "costMindControl" and "costPanic".
5. Exist. Look for "unlocks"

Place to look: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 12:28:36 pm »
1. -
2. Exist. Create new type of soldiers, then transform your gifted soldiers to that type.
3. +1
4. Exist. Look for "costMindControl" and "costPanic".
5. Exist. Look for "unlocks"

Place to look: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)

Regarding restricting armor: Unless there's a way to automatically transform soldiers upon meeting certain conditions (Psi-skill > 0), this means an extra step the player has to manually perform. I guess I could reasonably spin it as "training" in using the new armor.

Regarding costMindControl, I managed to overlook that one. Thanks!

"unlocks" is only part of the picture. It doesn't actually GIVE the research, just unlocks it so it CAN be researched. Also, Upon the first process of the given research, all "unlocks" will process, where I'm looking for 1 of a list each time the project is completed.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 03:52:13 pm »
Regarding restricting armor: Unless there's a way to automatically transform soldiers upon meeting certain conditions (Psi-skill > 0), this means an extra step the player has to manually perform. I guess I could reasonably spin it as "training" in using the new armor.
No such way. Only manual transform or hire new.
"unlocks" is only part of the picture. It doesn't actually GIVE the research, just unlocks it so it CAN be researched. Also, Upon the first process of the given research, all "unlocks" will process, where I'm looking for 1 of a list each time the project is completed.
No it do. Try.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 09:34:03 pm »
About No. 2: how about expanding it to include any stats?

Code: [Select]
armors:
  - type: STR_PSI_OPS_SUIT_UC
    requiredStats:
       bravery: 40
       psiStrength: 30
       psiSkill: 30
       melee: 60

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 12:34:57 am »
Thinking about it some more, soldier transformations combined with armor types might actually be a better solution. I can define two armors for each inventory item, one for non-psi soldiers, and one for psi-soldiers; Then I can make the non-psi armor only available to non-psi soldiers, while the psi armor is only available to psi soldiers.

The player can equip the "same" armor on both types, but the non-psi soldiers won't get some of the benefits of the fancy armor.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 04:38:17 am »
About No. 2: how about expanding it to include any stats?

Code: [Select]
armors:
  - type: STR_PSI_OPS_SUIT_UC
    requiredStats:
       bravery: 40
       psiStrength: 30
       psiSkill: 30
       melee: 60
It sounds logical, but i fear that it woll produce too much unneeded micromanagement.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 11:48:50 am »
It sounds logical, but i fear that it woll produce too much unneeded micromanagement.

Well, not more than the original request. It's all a matter of design.