aliens

Author Topic: I made a map.  (Read 4986 times)

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I made a map.
« on: December 03, 2019, 01:06:12 pm »
I saw a post elsewhere about the ongoing dehobbesisation and there was a link to a mapping manual v0.1 by Solarius Scorch... so i decided to recreate my school in xcom overnight. Why? because i have nothing to do remember those urban legends of 00's when in every school there was supposedly a guy who managed to recreate it as a counter strike map? I always that that would be super cool.
1. Proportions are a bit off and a couple of cuts had to be taken compared to a real version so if it looks wierd it's probably that. The rundown semi-abandoned look is intended.
2. Idk what tilesets are kosher now so i used pure vanilla urban tileset.
3. Absolutely no idea if my spawn\patrol points are correct, i made sure there are some spawns, large ones are outside and every floor has 2-3 groups patrolling in circles(in theory, idk how to make a mission to test this map).

Dioxine, Solarius Scorch - feel free to use it if you like it.

misterx

Re: I made a map.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 01:34:34 pm »
Thanks, please keep 'em coming! :-*

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 11:49:32 am »
Well done. The surface choice for what i'm gonna guess is the gym(the area done in pavement) on the ground floor is a little off putting but otherwise a very nice piece.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 05:42:19 pm »
Wow. This is looking pretty great!
I'll check it out soon. And I'm glad the guide works :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 05:45:21 pm »
Looks like a great map for huge city block, or standalone enemy base.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 12:53:46 am »
Thanks everyone!

Well done. The surface choice for what i'm gonna guess is the gym(the area done in pavement) on the ground floor is a little off putting but otherwise a very nice piece.

Yeah that's supposed to be a gym. The vanilla tileset is pretty basic so i couldn't make it look more gym-like. As i said i don't know what tilesets i could use, maybe once they release next version of files\piratez without assets by hobbes i could just copy the mod files and choose a better tileset.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 03:44:17 pm »
I finally had the time to review the map. It's great, but I don't get the routes at all. Most of them are just weird, I can't make any sense out of them - they mostly only are connected to one other node, and the connection is one way only... Is there a key to this? Or just needs fixing?

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 03:51:18 pm »
Just on a visual analysis, I think it looks pretty great. Could be used for many things. I could easily see it being used as a cult indoctrination camp, hostage situation mission or... As a school I guess. Pretty good job. I might take a stab at maping using that guide sometime, I could easily copy some real life police stations into maps and small markets into maps.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 07:30:30 pm »
I finally had the time to review the map. It's great, but I don't get the routes at all. Most of them are just weird, I can't make any sense out of them - they mostly only are connected to one other node, and the connection is one way only... Is there a key to this? Or just needs fixing?
As i said i have no idea how to make them for a big map piece, the idea was that ai kinda patrols in circles and stays on it's floor(to prevent everyone pouring out on the 1st floor and leaving the top floors empty).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 04:23:23 pm »
As i said i have no idea how to make them for a big map piece, the idea was that ai kinda patrols in circles and stays on it's floor(to prevent everyone pouring out on the 1st floor and leaving the top floors empty).

Ah, I see.
Well, to be honest, this is not something I would do... Not because it's wrong, but because I have no idea how it would work in practice. I stick to simpler, more predictable designs, because I can understand how to use them and what to expect from the AI. But it doesn't mean your idea is wrong.
Still, the least change I'd do is adding links to the outside world. I understand you don't need the AI units to leave the compound, but it also undermines their unpredictability.

Would you mind if I eventually use this map in the X-Com Files?

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 07:33:47 pm »
Ah, I see.
Well, to be honest, this is not something I would do... Not because it's wrong, but because I have no idea how it would work in practice. I stick to simpler, more predictable designs, because I can understand how to use them and what to expect from the AI. But it doesn't mean your idea is wrong.
Still, the least change I'd do is adding links to the outside world. I understand you don't need the AI units to leave the compound, but it also undermines their unpredictability.

Would you mind if I eventually use this map in the X-Com Files?
Feel free to use it in X-com Files.
Ok, i remade the routes for a more aggro version. Less about patroling and more about trying to leave the map eventually.
I didn't put any flying routes this time because my mouse wheel is broken and it's annoying to click every time i want to change a level, but if you use it for a cultist base it shouldn't matter.
+fixed weird looking forward facing corners, i guess i forgot to place the actual corners(i thought 2 walls would make one automatically but then noticed the separate corner prop in a map editor)
Also put a small bonus map inside.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 01:55:35 pm »
Thanks a lot! It's still too complex for me to actually understand it, but it looks more "finished". I'll plug it into the game and we'll see how the AI behaves.
The other map is pretty ingenious too, I've never seen such architecture in X-Com.

EDIT: I cleaned up the routes on the restaurant a little, there were WAY too many instances of "I see 2 links on this node but why are there 5 connection lines". Also a part of the roof seemed missing, so I added it (and a lazy column).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:04:16 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 04:44:23 pm »
How much do routes matter anyways? I remember reading that once AI spots your soldiers they use a different pathfinding. And if 1 enemy sees you, all of them see you. And sniper-spotter tag just means they can shoot further than their own LoS, or am i wrong?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 04:53:34 pm »
How much do routes matter anyways? I remember reading that once AI spots your soldiers they use a different pathfinding. And if 1 enemy sees you, all of them see you. And sniper-spotter tag just means they can shoot further than their own LoS, or am i wrong?

Routes matter a lot.

For the rest, terminology is wrong:
- there is only one pathfinding for everybody... maybe you meant AI behavior?
- if 1 knows about you, all know about you... but they don't see you