aliens

Author Topic: Monsters like Kaiju  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Monsters like Kaiju
« on: November 28, 2019, 09:58:27 am »
I have an idea to add UFOs in the form of large monsters to the globe. There are two questions: 1. How to make monsters appear only in a certain region, and not throughout the globe. 2. How to make it so that they are actively looking for the X-Com base and, when attacked, 100% neglected it. I did a mission to attack a giant worm on a base, but I don’t know if it will work.

- type: earlyWorm Attack #нападение червя на базу
    firstMonth: 0
    executionOdds: 40
    raceWeights:
      0:
        STR_GIANT_WORM: 100
    missionWeights:
      0:
        STR_GIANT_WORM_ATTACK_MISSION: 100
    useTable: false
    startDelay: 20

- type: STR_GIANT_WORM_ATTACK_MISSION
    objective: 4
    spawnUfo: STR_GIANTWORM
    retaliationOdds: 0
    raceWeights:
      0:
        STR_GIANT_WORM: 100
    waves:
      - ufo: STR_GIANTWORM
        count: 1
        trajectory: P0
        timer: 9000

- type: STR_GIANTWORM # Гигантский червь
    size: STR_VERY_LARGE
    modSprite: UFOGiantWorm
    damageMax: 1000
    speedMax: 50
    accel: 1
    power: 500
    missilePower: -1
    range: 1
    score: 500
    reload: 20
    sightRange: 500
    avoidBonus: 5
    breakOffTime: 600
    hunterKillerPercentage: 100
    huntMode: 2
    huntBehavior: 0
    radarRange: 10
    radarChance: 15

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Monsters like Kaiju
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 01:07:40 pm »
I´d love to have ground combat on the remains of one of those, against things living on it...  :P

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 02:26:33 pm »
So do I. :) Maybe someone can do it. ::)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 12:25:41 pm »
I think giant monsters are a bit much for a mod about secret conspiracies, counterexamples like the Cyberweb ship no withstanding.

1. How to make monsters appear only in a certain region, and not throughout the globe. 2. How to make it so that they are actively looking for the X-Com base and, when attacked, 100% neglected it. I did a mission to attack a giant worm on a base, but I don’t know if it will work.

For the region, it is possible to use the mission script to force the game to select your starting region. See the initial alien research mission in vanilla.

For the neglected part, I have no idea what you mean. Who neglects what? And when?

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 10:09:08 am »
I think this could work for the late stages of the game, when it becomes obvious the aliens want nothing good, UFOs are freely flying around the world and they spam terror missions twice per month or so. The Kaiju idea would work in many mods, possibly even in Piratez.

A fun modification to that idea is if you had a special ship meant to fight said kaiju: A giant robot, of course!

But that's even less subtle than regular X-COM.

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 04:06:53 am »
I think giant monsters are a bit much for a mod about secret conspiracies, counterexamples like the Cyberweb ship no withstanding.

For the region, it is possible to use the mission script to force the game to select your starting region. See the initial alien research mission in vanilla.

For the neglected part, I have no idea what you mean. Who neglects what? And when?

I meant that the monsters 100% destroyed the base, if they are not intercepted or the defense of the base failed.

Offline Hadriex

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 01:14:35 pm »

I dunno, the aliens already do terror missions, unleashing all sorts of large beasts on population centers. X-com's actions awakening a something terrible underground or a sea monster or some such seems like it could be fitting.

Ancient clues and conspiracy stuff seem compatible with ancient sleeping evils, particularly Terror from the Deep, when your advisers strongly urge you not to pursue things any further...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 07:38:59 pm »
Maybe you're right... It's not easy to keep the same consistent theme without making it boring.

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 11:05:57 pm »
I dunno, the aliens already do terror missions, unleashing all sorts of large beasts on population centers. X-com's actions awakening a something terrible underground or a sea monster or some such seems like it could be fitting.

Ancient clues and conspiracy stuff seem compatible with ancient sleeping evils, particularly Terror from the Deep, when your advisers strongly urge you not to pursue things any further...

Perhaps there could be a 'special' mission like 'The Thing' one in Antarctica which you are warned not to do, but if you do it then it 'awakens' a monster or something.  It would certainly put a spoke into the fight against the aliens if you suddenly have to deal with Godzilla as well...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 10:39:29 am »
Perhaps there could be a 'special' mission like 'The Thing' one in Antarctica which you are warned not to do, but if you do it then it 'awakens' a monster or something.  It would certainly put a spoke into the fight against the aliens if you suddenly have to deal with Godzilla as well...

Umm, this mission already exists. :)

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 04:01:31 pm »
Umm, this mission already exists. :)

I know 'The Thing' mission exists, I've just done it on a new game (and had to reload the mission twice to get a decent win!).  I mean something similar to that where the council warns you not to take it on, and if you do then you awaken a monster that causes havoc on a global-scale.  Think of the missions in Piratez that you can take on or not, like the Euro deal.

It's probably a lot of work to put something like that in of course, so it's just a suggestion!

BTW, have you ever seen the movie 'Tremors'?  Those Graboids would make a decent monster.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 04:06:13 pm by Jimboman »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 12:31:14 pm »
Sure I've seen it. I did something similar in one late game mission.  ;)

Offline Alazar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 06:23:40 am »
There are ancient terrors in TFTD mod TwOTS, they appear on map like USOs and roam aimlessly, also they have uniq sprites when you check target visuals, looks cool, so I am sure making something like that lategame here is a good idea, cause you know, having 3 alien infested countries and shooting down 7+ alien crafts each day isnt exactly subtle. Its like aliens launching an Overspawn on Mega Primus  in X-Com apocalypse.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 04:47:00 pm »
The problem is that there's a limit on how far we can go with this concept. What is OK in the ocean depths of 2040s isn't necessarily good when it shows up in the air around 2000.

The idea might get more traction with Reptoids, which are planned to be rather blatant and uninterested in all this conspiracy crap.

Offline Alazar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 06:07:53 am »
The problem is that there's a limit on how far we can go with this concept. What is OK in the ocean depths of 2040s isn't necessarily good when it shows up in the air around 2000.

The idea might get more traction with Reptoids, which are planned to be rather blatant and uninterested in all this conspiracy crap.
Well, T'leth also got krumped 40 years earlyer in this time line, as well as X-Com got their tech, which they will totally forget 40 years later.  ;D