aliens

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Geoscape News Ticker  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION] Geoscape News Ticker
« on: October 21, 2019, 09:41:47 pm »
This came up in the general XCOMFILES discussion thread earlier, but something like the News Ticker from the 2012 remake could be a neat "little" addition for mods to hook into.

Simply put; in the Situation Room, there was a scrolling newsfeed underneath the geoscape that showed global panic levels (if you've ever watched any kind of live news you've probably seen a scrolling ticker) and events related to actual ingame events would occasionally scroll by. Events would be colour-coded blue-grey for neutral, green for good (you completed a mission, fulfilled a council request, etc.), or red for bad (aliens won a fight, you ignored a mission, etc.).

Some events could simply be unassociated filler, whilst others could be queued up by alien activity elsewhere in the world - potentially informing players of events outside their radar ranges without requiring them to constantly check the graphs screen.

So, along the top or bottom of the geoscape, something like the (crude) mockup attached;

Offline SuperCaffeineDude

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
Re: [SUGGESTION] Geoscape News Ticker
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:48:44 am »
I was very interested in story generation using an external app that kept an eye on your personnel stats, but I've more ideas than talent  :P

I think you can trigger "animations" (I think these are limited to slides (no video??)) when you complete/fail a mission, so whilst a "news-feed" overlay might require additional work, you could always have some sort of rudimentary feedback "if win / if fail", but not performance based as far as I'm aware.

So you could have a running commentary in a few comic slides with a news anchor character conveying "thank/damn you xcom" after you win/lose a mission...

It's a neat concept though, seems like something that easily could of been in the original game.