Author Topic: Stunned Citizens  (Read 3377 times)

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Stunned Citizens
« on: November 24, 2019, 07:29:06 pm »
I had a mission "they came from the sea" and some guys were armed with baseball bats. They were not my prime targets since there was more deadlier targets so many tourists and bikini girls ended unconscious.
I wondered if they counted as dead at the end of the mission or as saved ?

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Stunned Citizens
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 07:44:10 pm »
I had a mission "they came from the sea" and some guys were armed with baseball bats. They were not my prime targets since there was more deadlier targets so many tourists and bikini girls ended unconscious.
I wondered if they counted as dead at the end of the mission or as saved ?

Saved. Moreover, if you have a good opportunity and nothing threaten you, stun them by yourself.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 06:50:55 pm »
Saved. Moreover, if you have a good opportunity and nothing threaten you, stun them by yourself.

I have some ideas on how to penalize this :P

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 07:32:54 pm »
please don't penalize this unless we have a way to herd them in a safe zone (giving orders with megaphones) or neuralyze them (do the MIB have the tech ?) .
Civilian are careless. Neutralizing them is the only way we have  to avoid dumb acts for the moment

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 07:42:45 pm »
I have some ideas on how to penalize this :P

Is it so imbalance? It is not so often when we have such opportunity. In 90% of missions these stupid m.f***ers die voluntary. Otherwise, the whole term "save citizen" has no sense at all.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 08:26:06 pm »
Is it so imbalance? It is not so often when we have such opportunity.

It's not imbalanced. It's fucking dumb. A game shouldn't reward dumb actions (Saints Row being an exception).

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 09:18:17 pm »
I wouldn't mind, if stunning civilians got penalized a bit. After all, X-COM always steals their stuff after the mission, which is really weird.

I will still zap every civvie, who blocks my way, though. Having to wait a turn or even several turns for them to clear a tight corridor is just stupid.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 07:27:36 am »
It's fucking dumb.

Isn't it dumb when civilians run into the monsters' jaws instead of running for their lives? While the AI is common for the enemies and civilians, such measures are more than adequate. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 01:51:46 pm »
Isn't it dumb when civilians run into the monsters' jaws instead of running for their lives? While the AI is common for the enemies and civilians, such measures are more than adequate. :)

It's not perfect, but the AI is what it is. If I could, I'd make changes here, but I.'m not prepared to switch to coding.

Offline Dreams_Of_Cheese

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 01:22:39 am »
I'm reminded of SWAT 4's civilian mechanics, where to get the best score possible you had to go in and handcuff everyone, hostile or not. The rationale is something like how you never really know who is and isn't a threat or a suspect and letting them go free mid-situation could lead to a lot of problems. Even though XCOM isn't doing exactly the same thing as portrayed in that game, I think it'd be a mistake to penalize that kind of behavior.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 11:33:16 am »
You have a point. I have no idea if other special police units do the same, but it makes sense in the X-Com context.