Author Topic: XCOM Player AI ?  (Read 978 times)

Offline CuriousCraig

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
XCOM Player AI ?
« on: January 09, 2024, 07:22:04 pm »
Hello All,

New to the forums but a long time XCOM player.
As I've aged over the years I've been able to play XCOM for shorter periods of time due to some wrist issues I have.
This led me to a question I was hoping you wonderful folks could answer!
Has anyone ever made or attempted to make a player AI? I would love to setup an X-COM game in which I could host on a server which is completely self-played by an artifical intelligence. I've been seeing alot of information on these new fangled AI capabilities and a great number of youtube videos in which clever programmers write code that introduces an AI that slowly learns to play a game via the use of a reward mechanism.
If anyone knows of any projects similar to this please let me know! Or if not any information on potentially starting one.

Kind Regards,

Craig!

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM Player AI ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 09:09:02 pm »
There is no machine learning AI (that I know of), but there's Xilmi's fork that allows his improved AI to auto-play as the player and neutral sides as well. The AI is a bunch of human-written algorithms, though, if that's important to you.

Offline CuriousCraig

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 08:54:24 pm »
That's wonderful news! It's fine that it's not machine learning. I am just glad to be able to have someone else control the player aha! Many thanks Juku

Offline CuriousCraig

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 09:24:06 pm »
I have another question.
So I'm running Brutal XCOM with Player AI control. I equip these agents with flashlights but they refuse to use them in the night. Am I missing a setting or do they just not need them?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 10:11:20 pm »
Better ask in the BAI main thread. Perhaps it's another thing that's too different from vanilla to have been accounted for. Or perhaps it's actually a bad idea for AI to use these, IDK. No enemies really use them, for that matter.

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 01:19:04 am »
I have another question.
So I'm running Brutal XCOM with Player AI control. I equip these agents with flashlights but they refuse to use them in the night. Am I missing a setting or do they just not need them?
The AI was not specifically developed for the player. I just implemented that feature mostly for testing. I didn't teach the AI how to use things the opponents usually don't have. This includes stuff like flares, smoke-grenades or medikits.

Offline iodsnips

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 05:15:33 pm »
I'd be nervous if the game was left running for months unchecked, and the alien ai & human ai began working together in-game & the geoscape showed the year is 2024, haha.