Author Topic: Xpiratez port for retropie!  (Read 4663 times)

niculinux

Xpiratez port for retropie!
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:48:47 pm »
Hello and happy new year! I was just thinking: it may be even possible have xpitatez portings for reteopie, for win, linux and mac? That would be very very cool!

I was just figuring out if may be even possible (for lunix) throw anninstallation on the sd where retropie is installed and run from there. So any chances or it is impossible?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Xpiratez port for retropie!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 01:30:51 pm »
No offense, but what would be the point of "porting" something tht runs natively on the systems you request it to be ported to? The whole point of OXC is not have to use emulators (i.e. dosbox) to run the game. Retropie is essentially a collection of emulators with a nice UI.

niculinux

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 02:24:35 pm »
No offense, but what would be the point of "porting" something tht runs natively on the systems you request it to be ported to? The whole point of OXC is not have to use emulators (i.e. dosbox) to run the game. Retropie is essentially a collection of emulators with a nice UI.

No problem, just a quick way to play the game on a huge screen, without thinkering too much with system configuration and headaches. Anyway still think would be really cool 8)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:15:28 pm »
No problem, just a quick way to play the game on a huge screen, without thinkering too much with system configuration and headaches. Anyway still think would be really cool 8)
I don't understand - is there something that prevents you from running the game on your system?

niculinux

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:16:41 pm »
I don't understand - is there something that prevents you from running the game on your system?

No it's just a kinda comfort  :)

misterx

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 11:03:46 am »
Would be superultranice, as the doom ports. Anyway i guess it's just a dream :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 01:57:42 pm »
Do w/e you want, but just gotta know, I'm not a fan of historical reenactments. OXC and XPZ are modern technology, not retro. Also fairly sure XPZ would melt such emulators with its circa 2GB RAM requirement, and heavy LOS calculations caused by long raytracing range.

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 03:37:42 am »
It might be handy to get it working under android more easily. There is an Android port, but the newer versions stopped working on my phone ages ago. Not sure why, since the older ones worked fine (an Oppo F1s with 3gigs ram,  which while not great, can usually handle most games). Might just need to buy a new phone with more ram instead though. Far easier.

(not saying you should do this,  just trying to provide an actual use-case of doing so. The mod has so many extra assets these days that it's bigger than 3gigs can handle easily, putting an emulation layer over the top of that would just make things worse, not better)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 03:43:23 am by sambojin »

Offline JamTheDane

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 11:51:25 pm »
Hehe, no shit on the hardware demands. I did my first Space Freighter mission today, and that one was SLOW, despite a state of the art PC, i assume the engine is struggling with it too :)

misterx

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 11:51:25 am »
Actually in 2013 someone made a build for odroid. Details here:
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=1356

there is also a nice backgroud image for tftd. Anyway i guess only vanilla games may run on that platform