Author Topic: What is the maximum number of different aliens per-battle?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
What is the maximum number of different aliens per-battle?
« on: October 28, 2019, 07:55:30 am »
(Question)
I'm currently reading the alienRaces: section of the UFOpaedia, am I correct in my assumption that members: controls which aliens are able to be found in a battle making the max different types of alien units per battle 8?

Alien crew associated with this alien race (e.g. race units + terrorist units), defined by a list of unit string IDs. Order here will define rank in terms of deployment. Generally speaking the order is:

0 - Commander
    1 - Leader
    2 - Engineer
    3 - Medic
    4 - Navigator
    5 - Soldier
    6 - Terrorist 1
    7 - Terrorist 2

but of course, not all races have all ranks, so the "fill in" rank would be listed multiple times (see Ethereals).

Edit:

If I am understanding correctly membersRandom: (OXCE) can be used to drastically expand this by making each members: slot pull from a different list of potential enemies each time one is placed.

Alternative to members. Instead of defining just a single unit type per alien rank, you can define any number of unit types here and one will be chosen randomly (each time a new unit is generated). To increase a chance of a certain unit type being selected, you can add it multiple times.

So in OpenXcom the limit would be 8 but in OXCE the limit is much higher.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:18:28 am by The Martian »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: What is the maximum number of different aliens per-battle?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:52:35 am »
actually it's not limited in openxcom either, you can have 200 ranks if you want, but your equipment loadout lists need to be long enough to accomodate them

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: What is the maximum number of different aliens per-battle?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 04:28:11 pm »
200 different aliens at once, wow!
(One more reason to keep extra ammo in the Skyranger.)

I'll keep it in mind that I need a loadout list with a matching length.

Thank you for the information.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:31:20 pm by The Martian »