Author Topic: Aliens should see further  (Read 3904 times)

Offline grrussel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Aliens should see further
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:49:01 pm »
afaict, Aliens can see a range of "20" tiles.

Increasing that would seem to make the AI a bit more challenging. Otherwise, on open maps, it is really a bit too easy to have a scout see, hide, and the rest of the squad snipe from across the map until someone gets a hit, all from out of range.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens should see further
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:49:53 pm »
I would suggest something more flexible: a visibilty range and a nightvision flag that is dependant of alien race. Keeping it default to what it's original xcom + you are able to add some interesting tactics if you want a different gameplay.

The nightvision-flag should come together with a option to turn your personal lighting off (aliens can not see in the dark: they see your soldiers because soldiers emit a big area of light around them. Aliens don't).

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:38:17 am »
they see your soldiers because soldiers emit a big area of light around them.
I always thought its just an illustration, and not really emitting light. (so the user can actually see what the soldier see around)

Offline Kyzrati

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • X@COM - The X-COM RL
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 02:50:49 am »
I would suggest something more flexible: a visibilty range and a nightvision flag that is dependant of alien race. Keeping it default to what it's original xcom + you are able to add some interesting tactics if you want a different gameplay.
That what I'd do I did ;)

Race determines whether or not they can see without light, and each unit has its own sight range value. You could also do interesting things with that like lowering a specific unit's SR due to a head/eye injury (X-COM already reduces accuracy for head injuries), or increasing it with special gear.

I always thought its just an illustration, and not really emitting light. (so the user can actually see what the soldier see around)
I think it comes from the armor, so I have it attached to that--remove your armor and the light goes off.