Author Topic: Doom mod - IDT community Project  (Read 8606 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Doom mod - IDT community Project
« on: September 27, 2019, 02:46:15 pm »
So im not really working on this, hell im not even the biggest Doom fan ( i do like Classic doom but not any of the remakes). Anyway, this was a mod from someone named Uncy and i found it on one of my old HDD, i believe it was originally posted on the stratergycore site.

The sprites had issues and couldnt be loaded but Kevl came to the rescue and got me this far ( see image below, still have demon and lost soul to fix), i have started bringing these into OXC and i am only working on it really as a distraction from my other 2 projects :)

Anyway, i have this flagged as a community mod,A few of the other members from the IDT community have contributed some items or offered some help on this to but done expect it to be completed anytime soon as we are all busy :) I would like to do some Doom Mapsets, perhaps early next year, we will see.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Doom mod - IDT community Project
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 04:40:32 pm »
These sprites are very well known in the X-Com modding community and used in several mods (certainly Piratez, which have had them for years). So you didn't need to do anything with them. But if it's worked out for you, good.

Making a Doom total conversion mod would be nice, and not overly demanding (for a total conversion anyway). I would be interested in that.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 11:15:04 pm »
haha, here i thought i was saving a lost gem, of course pirates has them, i really need to actually play that mod at some point.

I went and bought Ultimate doom last night from GOG, had a Hell of a good time :)

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:44:29 am »
Judging by your screenshot the Doom monsters look pretty good in an X-Com setting, I'd like to see more of this.

(certainly Piratez, which have had them for years).

I just took a look inside the X-Piratez files and it appears that the mod contains data for these doom monsters:
Spoiler:
Imps, Baron of Hell, Demon/Pinky, Spectre and the Cacodemon.
(I was surprised to see the Spectre's data there, cool stuff.)
There are also a few doom monsters that do not seem to be included in X-Piratez:
Spoiler:
Lost Soul, Arachnotron, Arch-vile, Hell Knight, Mancubus, Pain elemental, Revenant, Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind.

hell im not even the biggest Doom fan ( i do like Classic doom but not any of the remakes).

If your interested in playing more classic doom like gameplay, then I would highly recommend giving the Hell-Forged mod a try.

It has level design that is exceptionally well done.

Hell-Forged (V. 1.00a)

Additionally it works well when installed along side this graphics mod:
Nash's Gore Mod
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:06:41 am by The Martian »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 08:05:32 am »
Hell Forge looks really nice, i will definitely give that one a run, some cool looking weapons also, would be good to bring into this one day :)

wcho035

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 04:12:32 am »
Judging by your screenshot the Doom monsters look pretty good in an X-Com setting, I'd like to see more of this.

I just took a look inside the X-Piratez files and it appears that the mod contains data for these doom monsters:
Spoiler:
Imps, Baron of Hell, Demon/Pinky, Spectre and the Cacodemon.
(I was surprised to see the Spectre's data there, cool stuff.)
There are also a few doom monsters that do not seem to be included in X-Piratez:
Spoiler:
Lost Soul, Arachnotron, Arch-vile, Hell Knight, Mancubus, Pain elemental, Revenant, Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind.

Hey Luke

Look up something called Brutal doom on google.  It is one hell of an upgrade from your average doom game play experience.

If your interested in playing more classic doom like gameplay, then I would highly recommend giving the Hell-Forged mod a try.

It has level design that is exceptionally well done.

Hell-Forged (V. 1.00a)

Additionally it works well when installed along side this graphics mod:
Nash's Gore Mod

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 11:39:49 am »
So far i have the below sprites working but have not done the corpse and stuff yet.

I have also started toying with a Geoscape design, im thinking we do the entire thing in Hell just to get away from the usual Xcom feel.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:13:57 pm by luke83 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 08:01:01 pm »
If you're interested, Abyss from the Piratez Discord server is making Spiderdemons sprites. They're not ready yet, but should be soon.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 07:27:10 pm »
Arachnotron is already fully in, will be in the next release. I'm also interested in adding further Doom monsters... Good thing this thread appeared. Doom themed levels would be awesome.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 08:33:22 am »
Cool, keep the sprites coming then, in return you can share the future maps i build ;)

I will be using this Doom mod as part of my tutorial series as a example for new modders so if i dont need to worry about the sprites that makes things easier  :P

wcho035

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 02:07:47 pm »
Hi Luke, if you haven't heard of this mod, you may find it interesting to yours.

https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-fall-of-mars