Author Topic: Footage of real XCom ufo interception.  (Read 17227 times)

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Footage of real XCom ufo interception.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 09:01:49 pm »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/23/senators-ufo-government-reports-336021
Senators want the public to see the government's UFO reports

So now it is not about the UFO existence, but about their nature. Are these some Russian ICBM testing use to hint US that Putin can nuke everyone any moment, or maybe a very advanced spy planes of some country or the actual aliens probing some stuff on the planet?

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 05:12:47 pm »

Offline the nomad

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 11:50:49 pm »
Wait what the hell? This is pretty serious if it really comes from a Pentagon official. I thought it is one of those regular news. He is saying vehicle, not meteor etc. Why the heck is it not talked about more?

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 12:09:35 am »
Self replicating robots, especially ones produced with the advancement in genetics engineering, will produce exponential growth. On galaxy scales. Surpassing previous industrial and computing revolutions. Or maybe humanity lives its last days. Since modern technologies are very dangerous, and could be used to wipe out everyone, when used by stupid people for minor gains. I.e. even minor scale terraforming can potentially lead to large scale destruction. For example, USSR managed to wipe out whole sea from the face of Earth as part of its terraforming project: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aral_Sea once a beautiful and rich region is now a desert.

A several decades ago computers were very big, expensive, inconvenient, available only to big universities and large corporation. These computers cost several millions of USD. Computing time had to bee booked.

Now everyone has in his pocket a smartphone, which is more powerful than any of these computers.

Even more, such smartphone offers far more value and has a far more diverse set of applications, than these older computers.

Literally today's people are millionaires in some sense, and have access to something, even billionaires of the past had no way of getting.

Now imagine you can own a personal star. There are a lot of stars in the observable universe. Enough for everyone.

Or take computers graphics for example. In a few decades it evolved from simple few polygon scenes to photo-realistic scenes. Latest advances in AI allow real-time graphics like following

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 01:09:42 am »
Wait what the hell? This is pretty serious if it really comes from a Pentagon official. I thought it is one of those regular news. He is saying vehicle, not meteor etc. Why the heck is it not talked about more?
I hope they are just trying to distract public from economic, political and covid crisis. But situation is pretty grim in any case. Both Russia and China have a lot of nukes, same for America. Elites are getting out of touch with reality. At the same time drone technologies now allow easily sabotaging say electric grid of the opposing state or liquidate important officers. It doesn't require aliens to wash humanity from the face of Earth.

Back during Cold War, robotics technologies were limited to just funny contraptions (i.e. Minsky's arm robot + camera solving hanoi towers with a crude symbolic algorithm), and computers were unable to do natural language processing. Now Boston Dynamics robots do parkour and Google Translate effortlessly translates texts from Russian to English to Chinese and back, since people learned to represent and process the concepts in higher dimensional space. Natural language translation is basically equivalent to strong AI, so people have already build it, yet still haven't figured out how to integrate it with more general systems. That will lead to a massive unemployment for unskilled people (majority of population), leading to unpredictable consequences (likely unrest and wars with billions dead).

We don't need aliens today to scare even Pentagon.

Offline the nomad

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 04:09:01 pm »
I hope they are just trying to distract public from economic, political and covid crisis. But situation is pretty grim in any case. Both Russia and China have a lot of nukes, same for America. Elites are getting out of touch with reality. At the same time drone technologies now allow easily sabotaging say electric grid of the opposing state or liquidate important officers. It doesn't require aliens to wash humanity from the face of Earth.

Back during Cold War, robotics technologies were limited to just funny contraptions (i.e. Minsky's arm robot + camera solving hanoi towers with a crude symbolic algorithm), and computers were unable to do natural language processing. Now Boston Dynamics robots do parkour and Google Translate effortlessly translates texts from Russian to English to Chinese and back, since people learned to represent and process the concepts in higher dimensional space. Natural language translation is basically equivalent to strong AI, so people have already build it, yet still haven't figured out how to integrate it with more general systems. That will lead to a massive unemployment for unskilled people (majority of population), leading to unpredictable consequences (likely unrest and wars with billions dead).

We don't need aliens today to scare even Pentagon.

Well, I am trying to be optimistic, things may not be so grim. Remember that in the Cold War, with a lot of tension in the air between the sides of Iron Curtain, and both sides with a significant nuclear arsenal ready to annihilate each other at first sign, they didn't start a World War. I am actually impressed how they managed not to wipe each other out, with their limited wisdom and hunger for power. They knew what was going to happen if it started, perhaps because two great wars and their consequences were fresh in their memory. But you're right that it is a huge possibility especially with more advanced tech. This doesn't mean they will not do it this time.

The looming unemployment scares me too sometimes. I myself worked as a translator and was grateful that google translate was not 100% perfect lol. There is indeed a risk it can lead to riots and war. We already had a good number of violent riots around the world. It will probably sort itself out eventually and new jobs will be created, adapting to the new technology, but there will be a lot of pain during that process.

I looked more into that news article and the events before it in the near past, and it doesn't seem like their aim is to distract as there has been some planning and developments before the Pentagon decided to create a task force to inform the public about these phenomena (it already began by declassifying official UFO research they did back in the past, and later US Navy officially accepting those three ufo clips are real), but who knows.

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 05:52:05 pm »
Remember that in the Cold War, with a lot of tension in the air between the sides of Iron Curtain, and both sides with a significant nuclear arsenal ready to annihilate each other at first sign, they didn't start a World War.
Well. Things have changed since then. We have different kids in power now with different toys.

The looming unemployment scares me too sometimes. I myself worked as a translator and was grateful that google translate was not 100% perfect lol.
I do suggest you acquiring different skills in meantime, starting with linear algebra and neural nets wont be a bad choice for a linguist. Since all this AI apparatus will need skilled people to maintain it, albeit a lot less people than before. And if you have diploma in quantitative linguistics, your chances of getting hired will increase significantly.

There is indeed a risk it can lead to riots and war. We already had a good number of violent riots around the world. It will probably sort itself out eventually and new jobs will be created, adapting to the new technology
These will be very high skilled jobs. Just like you need more skills to operate complex machinery, than to plow the field with basic tools. One tractor replaces 100 manual laborers, but a tractor with an AI can replace millions, and it will be working 24/7, controlled from a data center, which needs just a few skilled people to maintain. Servicing such AI controlled tractor can also be done automatically or with a minimal human intervention. I.e. if a wheel gets broken, then robots will change it much faster than human servicemen, who need to sleep, who need salary to feed their kids, who cant do any work before their teens. They will get optimized out of the equation. And then you have a massive never before seen civilization crisis.

I looked more into that news article and the events before it in the near past, and it doesn't seem like their aim is to distract as there has been some planning and developments before the Pentagon decided to create a task force to inform the public about these phenomena (it already began by declassifying official UFO research they did back in the past, and later US Navy officially accepting those three ufo clips are real), but who knows.
Government agencies usually have a few cards in hand to use in cases of a crisis. But today they are throwing out a lot of these cards.

Then again, army quickly changes too. We wont be having heroic soldiers performing feats of valor anymore. Today it is more about who will manage to control the drones better and develop the better AI - engineers competing with each other. Then again, original XCOM already had that invincible bot tank, which most people considered cheating, especially since it was immune to mind control and could not be turned into a zombie.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 08:06:45 pm »
One tractor replaces 100 manual laborers, but a tractor with an AI can replace millions, and it will be working 24/7, controlled from a data center, which needs just a few skilled people to maintain.
No 100 + 1, you only get ride of driver. If we assume 24/7 then at max 100+5 will be replaced by one tractor. To replace million you need "million" tractors with or without AI.

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 06:26:48 pm »
No 100 + 1, you only get ride of driver. If we assume 24/7 then at max 100+5 will be replaced by one tractor. To replace million you need "million" tractors with or without AI.
Given the auto-maintenance and manufacturing of the tractors, it will also get rid of the entire supply chain behind the tractor, and all the people servicing that chain (from hairdressers to house construction workers). That is what all these AI apocalypse movies are about. And large part of the world population is still employed in these basic easily automated jobs. I expect huge social unrest and the governments going even more nuts, before the humanity either collapses or evolves to the next stage with all the production automated.

Anyway, military publishes more UFO evidence:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ufo-uap-navy-pentagon-confirmed_n_607911a5e4b0bc5a3a54cac2
>Pentagon Confirms Leaked Photos, Video Of Unidentified Flying Objects

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 10:00:39 am »
Anyway, military publishes more UFO evidence:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ufo-uap-navy-pentagon-confirmed_n_607911a5e4b0bc5a3a54cac2
>Pentagon Confirms Leaked Photos, Video Of Unidentified Flying Objects
...and we are back to floating plastic bags and light reflections on glass panes (the last one being painfully obvious from the thumbnail and video).

Also if you think about it, isn't "UFO evidence" an oxymoron?

Offline Afro Herbalist

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2021, 02:23:51 pm »
Oh yea I've seen this video on British TV. It was one of the clips shown on an ep of Ancient Aliens ("Oh you can bet your ass: The answer is a resounding yes!"). IIRC one of the pilots even starts giggling cos it reminded him of XCOM, one of his favourite games.

Offline Pandemonium

• Sergeant
  • Evil round every corner Careful not to step in any
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2021, 09:01:58 am »
Okay, so I clicked this sub-forum because I was curious if anyone had posted about the recent attention the UFO phenomena had gotten. I'm surprised to see people saying the footage plastered all over is a bird, jet, or plastic bag. I actually wrote an extremely long winded post to debug all that and then promptly hit ctrl+a and del.

Everyone will believe what they want. The question I'd be more interested in having answered is why the US government wants to focus on such an old and fridge issue if it's bull? AND Why US military pilots and navy personnel can't tell the difference between a bird, a plane, or probe-weary aliens? I expect the answer to the former covers the latter.

Here's another question. How advanced would a species need to be (compared to us) to cross the incredible distances of space, find a single habitable world in a vast nothing of barren rocks, and regularly visit? Now, if they're THAT advanced, why would they care to?

Or how about this? If it's not advance military or commercial technology, not a natural phenomena, and not extraterrestrials, what is it?

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2021, 09:20:53 am »
The question I'd be more interested in having answered is why the US government wants to focus on such an old and fridge issue if it's bull? AND Why US military pilots and navy personnel can't tell the difference between a bird, a plane, or probe-weary aliens? I expect the answer to the former covers the latter.

problem reaction solution

Look! UFOs!
We'll save you ...
???
profit

/lul

If it's not advance military or commercial technology, not a natural phenomena, and not extraterrestrials, what is it?

I have no idea. But until one lands in my backyard who really cares,

(yeah i've become jaded by more than a few things since the Internet )

that said, knock yerself out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8zcAttP1E

ps. could be supernatural phenomena ...

Offline Pandemonium

• Sergeant
  • Evil round every corner Careful not to step in any
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2021, 09:31:40 pm »
problem reaction solution

Look! UFOs!
We'll save you ...
???
profit

/lul

Hole in one! It's all hoax or at best a deliberate misrepresentation of truth to encourage public interest and motivation to push the government into a response. That response will need funding though... No need to look behind the curtain folks! We're spending these billions on UFO research and new tech to capture the alien aggressors. We may need a budget hike though so we can launch our new space agency (that's overflowing with advanced tech positioned to militarize the final frontier). Cause, you know, ALIENS! It's not about gaining a military advantage against other Earth bound governments, that's just ridiculous....

ps. could be supernatural phenomena ...

Could very well be. It is more plausible. I'd be less surprised if it were fairies rather than extraterrestrials. The more science discovers about our universe, the more unlikely interstellar travel becomes. The hurdles and literal distance is just too immense to overcome. The capabilities of physical living biological organisms is dwarfed to the point of ruination when pitted against the universe. There's plenty of established research on all this. The Drake Equation, the Fermi Paradox, etc.

The paranormal however, is by definition not scientifically explainable. There's enough history of the related phenomena that the word exists so...

Besides, it being paranormal doesn't mean the US government couldn't or wouldn't use it to their advantage. They may even be more likely to choose phenomenon from the truly paranormal since it would elude explanation and increase the time frame they could use it to their advantage.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2021, 02:12:56 am »
yep, could be

i mean, until one runs into my car it's not a big deal /shrug

or maybe -- just maybe -- all my problems are caused by THEM aaaaaarhgyrtuehnid

/jk