Author Topic: wcho035's wishlist  (Read 309 times)

Offline Precentor Apollyon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
wcho035's wishlist
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:46:03 pm »
Split from this thread (by Meridian): https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4830.0.html

Please note this thread is now obsolete.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:37:39 am by Precentor Apollyon »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: wcho035's wishlist
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 03:06:51 pm »
1) Craft uses base facilities that's assign to them.  Like requiresBuyBaseFunc, I am proposing to Meridian something like requiresServiceBaseFunc. The craft can uses hanger facility like 1x1 and underwater type. You use graphic editor to trim the size of aircraft to fit the hanger if necessary. The benefit from this is, just think of the space you free up in your base for other facilities.

2) Unit have another battletype, Self-Melee/suicide in battlescape. This is a feature we often touch on. We can have a leeroyjenkin type unit, do a melee on a soldier, but instead of melee attack on its opponent, it harm itself.
If its health is zero, it dies. This proposal of mine has two outcome. One, is a true alien or ops suicide unit that does a real suicide. The other are drugs that your soldier would need to melee themselves before  stats boost.

3)The same soldier rank can share multiple different name type. For example, Sargent can be Novice, Optio and etc.. same rank but different name. Commander can be general, field marshal and etc. All lump together for you to customise your soldier ranking.

4) Organised soldiers into small units with a given name. I found if you have too many soldiers sharing different craft in a base can be a headache. How about organized them into units and then you can pull up and down for each different units for simplicity sake and you can assign whole units to craft. Unit can be 3 to 6+ insize and can be subdivided into smaller units?   

(These are my updated wish list. I have send a message to a few modders for feedbacks. This is in the long run.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:52:33 pm by Precentor Apollyon »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 10:12:18 am »
Only point 2 is a real suggestion... The rest arr nebulous thoughts with no indication of how it's supposed to work. Or
 even what it is - for example, I have no idea what multiple rank names are supposed to do...

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 10:49:20 am »
for example, I have no idea what multiple rank names are supposed to do...

Probably the same as what 40k is using.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 11:37:03 am »
Probably the same as what 40k is using.

Well, that would mean the feature is already in, yay :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 11:42:35 am »
Well, that would mean the feature is already in, yay :)

If it is that... the descriptions here are so vague they can be interpreted in any way you want.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 11:57:35 am »
I will touch on 3 and 4.

Suppose you have Sargent as a rank.

Perhaps that rank can be shared in different names with other soldiers.

Like for example.

Sargent is the default name/rank for one Army.

In another army it is

Army 1                        Army 2                                    Army 3                      Army 4                           Army 5
Lance Sergeant      Sergeant                          Staff-Sergeant     Senior Sergeant                   Sergeant
Asst. Force Leader      Master Sergeant                     N/A               Lord Sergeant                Staff Sergeant

So the xcom organization can have different nationalities from different armies serving in its ranks. Soldier using one rank could have many different other names assign to it.

Like it can be coded as.

Alternate name: [Lance Sergeant, Master Sargent, and etc.

Soldier can be assign to 1, 2, for using different name for the same rank.

Like a Commander in rank can be also called a general, an admiral and etc.

4) Say you have 50 soldiers in your base. You have to go through each one and assigned them to different craft. Why not split the 50 soldiers into 5 Units

Units can be say

1) The Swat team.
2) The Fire team
3) The Delta team
4) The Green team

Each unit have sub-units of 2 to 5 for example.

1) Swat team.

Section 1 -  2 men.
Section 2 -  3 men

This way, you can split the 50 men into teams. Each team can be expand out or collapse for visibility sake.

Again, just ideas.. may be cancel out before it is put into Order request.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:06:46 pm by Precentor Apollyon »

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 05:02:13 pm »
4) Organised soldiers into small units with a given name. I found if you have too many soldiers sharing different craft in a base can be a headache. How about organized them into units and then you can pull up and down for each different units for simplicity sake and you can assign whole units to craft. Unit can be 3 to 6+ insize and can be subdivided into smaller units?

(My 2 cents - I'm currently playing a XCF campaign)

About teams, my idea of a solution is to rename the soldier, putting the team at the beginning of the soldier name. Example:
"John Doe" becomes "1_John Doe"
"Jack Smith" becomes "2_Jack Smith"
And then sort by name.

I haven't tried it yet, as I don't organize the soldiers based on teams. I make use of the Stat-Strings mod a lot, so to classify soldiers based on their stats.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 01:55:30 am »
Thanks Alex_D , I too have similar system in place. We shall see later, this is not a high priority item atm.