aliens

Author Topic: Issues attacking UFOs using nightly/where is the milestone version?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline overtni

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I previously had a milestone version of OpenXcom installed, but due to some major error on my PC, I lost it (I've since reset my entire PC and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10: It was that bad). Now I see downloading the milestone version is no longer available and I'm directed to download the nightly instead. The problem is in this version it seems impossible to down UFOs (to the point where the cannon is completely useless and stingrays rarely work). I also preferred the version I was using originally and don't really like some of the tweaks made, but that's of lesser importance.

Any assistance either downloading the milestone version or fixing this major issue with downing UFOs in the nightly version would be most appreciated. I'm really bummed about this. :(

Respectfully,

Overtni
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:46:41 pm by overtni »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Issues attacking UFOs using nightly/where is the milestone version?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:44:55 pm »
Hi,

I have tried the nightly version and I cannot see any problems with downing UFOs.
Both cannons and stingrays work as expected.

Are you playing with some mods?
Can you provide some saves, screenshots or video recording of your problems?

M.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:48:40 pm by Meridian »

Offline overtni

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:39:02 pm »
Thank you for replying so quickly Meridian! Here is a zip file containing an MP4. I'm also going to describe my experience in a little more detail below.

I cannot speak for the other difficulties (as I don't play them), but on Superhuman Ironman in the Milestone version, the first ships always show up at 14:30 during a new game. There is always a small scout and a very small scout. Sometimes I'm able to down them both, sometimes I down the small one and the very small one escapes, rarely I don't get either or something funky happens. Regardless, I'm almost always able to down them without using stingray missiles (I like to save them because I'm cheap and because the very small scout could be destroyed by them).

In the nightly version, so far, I've been able to down the small scout once or twice using stingrays, never just using cannons. If I turn off stingrays, the cannons are never enough. That tells me something has changed. They also seem to close in on the enemy ships slower in the nightly.

Perhaps this is just the new normal, but I hope it isn't.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 10:47:17 am »
I have checked the difference between 1.0 milestone and 1.0 nightly... and there were many fixes... to various timers, accuracy formulas, escape countdowns, etc.

On Superhuman difficulty, the first very small UFO doesn't even come into the cannon range, always escapes before that.
This is consistent with the original game from 1994, which gave me similar results... so I'd say the nightly is the "old" and the "new" normal.

PS: if you'd like to have the "buggy" behavior from 1.0 milestone back, you can change the UFO break-off times in the ruleset, in the file "ufos.rul"... search for attribute "breakOffTime"