aliens

Author Topic: Migrating old Area51 with OpenXCom from Windows to Arch Linux  (Read 840 times)

Offline tarsolyger

• Captain
    • View Profile
Migrating old Area51 with OpenXCom from Windows to Arch Linux
« on: September 07, 2019, 04:29:15 am »
Hi!

I'm trying to do something that seems no to be obvious at all how to do it. I have a perfectly working install of OpenXCom (version 1.0) and the Area 51 mod (version 1.0 git 2018-04-10 03:19), and I have many many hours in the saved game in it, which I would like to play until the finish line, so I'd prefer to move this install to Linux, as I'm going to nuke my Windows from my PC, preferably very soon.
I already have an Arch Linux system ready to take over, but I wanted to test this before I jump into it.
So I did the following:
  • installed openxcom-git from the Arch User Repository (this basically pulls the nightly of openxcom from github, and packages so the package manager for Arch Linux can track the files)
  • copied the data files from my Windows install that were under my Program Files (x86)\OpenXcom\UFO to my Linux system's ~/.local/share/openxcom/UFO folder
  • copied the mod files from Documents\OpenXCom\mods and savefiles from Documents\OpenXCom\xcom1 to my Linux home directory under ~/.local/share/openxcom/mods and ~/.local/share/openxcom/mods
  • start the OpenXCom game from the menu - it loads no problem
  • go to the mods menu and turn on Area 51, move it to the top, press OK, the game restarts
And when the game restarts, I get an error message and it stops.
The error message is:
Code: [Select]
Error for 'HYBRID_WEAPON': offset '-2' has incorrect value in set 'BIGOBS.PCK'The full log:
pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/K7dGsSsDqM

The other thing I have tried is to install the openxcom package from the Arch User Repository, which is the 1.0 "stable" version that is the same I use on Windows, and I could get it running with copying the UFO files into /usr/share/openxcom/data but in that case I couldn't even find where should I copy the mod files for it to even recognize I have an Area 51 mod to play, but it definitely didn't recognize the files in my home folder.
Is there anything I'm missing here? Is there any way for me to be able to migrate this to Linux? Migration between Windows PCs is not a problem, I managed to do that for 2 other PCs.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Migrating old Area51 with OpenXCom from Windows to Arch Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 05:32:48 am »
The error message is:
Error for 'HYBRID_WEAPON': offset '-2' has incorrect value in set 'BIGOBS.PCK'

This is happening because of code changes in OXC - a few months ago it was necessary to get rid of the negative offsets for BIGOBS, which are only used for alien fixed weapons (HYBRID_WEAPON, REAPER_WEAPON, etc.) and you're getting the error message because the version of Area 51 that you're running has the older incorrect.

I have fixed this on the latest version, if you just replace all negative offsets in items.rul that are used in the alien weapons with 60. There's actually other values that are also used but I can't remember them right now (you can also just check the latest A51 version), but 60 will do the trick since players only see those images when they mind control the alien.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 10:20:10 am »
Just 60 will not crash at the beginning, but it will potentially later during gameplay.
See here, what the change was and what needs to be done: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Negative_indices_and_cross-referencing_other_mods

The easiest way is to install the newest OXC (or newest OXCE) and the newest Area51... everything should work.

Offline tarsolyger

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 11:58:47 am »
Thanks for the fast replies!

The problem is, that if I install the newest version of everything, I can't load the save files properly. I have started playing the game on the April of 2018.
So I have these mods turned on (same as it was when I first started the game): Area 51, Aliens Pick Up Weapons, Limit Craft Item Capacities, Gun Melee, Psychonic Line Of Fire. When I try to load a savefile, I got a warning that the save relies on mods that are unavailable, etc. If I say yes to this prompt, one of the savefiles fails to load, the others seem to work just fine. I have went throught the inventory of one of my bases and everything seems to be in order, but I will try to test this further.
I haven't been on the forum lately, but by glancing over the topics, it seems that a lot of major changes have been implemented in the new Area 51 mod, and I am in the year 2000 already, so have a pretty built up base and a lot of stuff piled up in the stores.

So, in case I'll have to revert to the 1.0 version of the OpenXCom with the old Area 51 mod (version 1.0 git 2018-04-10 03:19), to what directory should I install the mod on Linux?

Thanks again!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 04:08:50 pm »
The easiest way is to install the newest OXC (or newest OXCE) and the newest Area51... everything should work.

The potential issue with using the latest A51 version is that he started playing before I switched to OXCE because of the HKs and there might be issues with missing entries, etc., plus he might not like getting the HKs in the middle of a campaign.

Offline tarsolyger

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 04:04:17 pm »
I have fixed this on the latest version, if you just replace all negative offsets in items.rul that are used in the alien weapons with 60. There's actually other values that are also used but I can't remember them right now (you can also just check the latest A51 version), but 60 will do the trick since players only see those images when they mind control the alien.

I have checked the items.rul and just changed the old version's Aliens.rul values to the ones you have in the new items.rul, which is something along the lines of
bigSprite: { mod: xcom1, index: 60 }
It now loads both the mod and the savegames, I'll be back complaining if these values break something :P
But now I just hope for the best that it won't break. Thanks for all the help!