aliens

Author Topic: Chryssalid tweaks [OXCE]  (Read 10731 times)

Offline VunderGuy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Chryssalid tweaks [OXCE]
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 06:31:36 pm »
It would be okay in a fantasy setting ("it's magic", and that's it), but not in a sci-fi setting.

Someone tell Halo, Mass Effect, Star Wars, Star Trek, Starcraft, Stargate, Warhammer 40K, Babylon 5, and literally every pop non-superhero sci-fi space opera and more general sci-fi setting under the sun that get's away with violating fundamental laws and properties of biology, chemistry, and physics and are still loved, beloved, and make oodles of money--wink, wink, nudge, nudge, X-Com very much included.

For the record, soft sci-fi is a thing, and it is the significantly more prevalent form of the genre in virtually everything you could even hope to be a fan in nowadays.

And, also, for the record, 'it's magic' can be just as unacceptable as 'it's science,' and neither should be excuses to break far more fundamental and foundational laws of logic. So, in otherwords, neither should be used to justify something so extremely illogical and irrational as time travel.   

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 02:01:11 pm »
And, also, for the record, 'it's magic' can be just as unacceptable as 'it's science,' and neither should be excuses to break far more fundamental and foundational laws of logic. So, in otherwords, neither should be used to justify something so extremely illogical and irrational as time travel.   

Really, because theories say that time is the fourth dimension, if so, four-dimensional beings would be constantly "time-traveling." Based on that logic, it is, in theory, possible for us to find a crack and slip into the dimension of time.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:36:47 pm by Yankes »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 07:39:56 pm »
What 4th dimension? Yes current general relativity link time with space but this not prevent having 4th dimension that is not time aka world is 5D.
Even more there are theories saying that space is more than 11D (string theory e.t.c.).

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 07:51:45 pm »
What 4th dimension? Yes current general relativity link time with space but this not prevent having 4th dimension that is not time aka world is 5D.
Even more there are theories saying that space is more than 11D (string theory e.t.c.).

The same reasoning works for those theories(I recognize that space times a fact and totally forgot about it in my earlier answer), all I'm saying is that it is theoretically possible for a being to travel through what we understand of as time. When I say a being, I'm not even saying human being.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 08:20:37 pm »
First of all, we don't know what time is. Period. Science doesn't have the answer to this. We don't even know if time is real or not. It's pointless to argue.

Secondly, I understand "time as a 4th dimension" is more of a metaphor than something to be taken literally, for the simple fact that we have the freedom to move in any direction in the three spatial dimensions, but we can only move forwards in time. (Which is something nobody really understands.)

Offline Docent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 10:41:19 pm »
...but we can only move forwards in time. (Which is something nobody really understands.)

Stephen Hawking understood this. And he even tried to tell the others :) Slowing down the time for an object to “move” it to the future is not at all the “journey” that many dream of ...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 11:04:04 pm »
Stephen Hawking understood this. And he even tried to tell the others :) Slowing down the time for an object to “move” it to the future is not at all the “journey” that many dream of ...

But we still can't move to the past, so...

Offline Docent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 01:56:21 am »
But we still can't move to the past, so...

Yes, he said that this is impossible and will never be possible.
Personally, my opinion - to freeze someone or send him flying at a speed close to the speed of light so that time slows down for him is not a time travel. And in short, time travel is impossible. At least because time does not exist) There is no past and future ...) Well, the topic is certainly interesting, but I do not think that I can maintain a conversation on this topic in English. And this is a clear offtopic)