aliens

Author Topic: Minigun seems OP  (Read 6885 times)

Offline Hadriex

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Minigun seems OP
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 05:31:17 am »
Funny that people are comparing the Heavy Machine Gun to the minigun, because the weapons fit such radically different roles for me. The minigun was for annihilating lightly armored hordes. I went with the tank mounted ones and they could rack up impressive kill counts against cultists and the like, especially the cult of the apoc with their hordes of random recruits.

The HMG on the other hand is a sniper rifle.

No really, that's the primary roll it fills. Think about it. You don't really want to move your sniper around every turn, you want them in a good position and let other spot for them. The problem with the regular sniper rifles is that often you'd hit and it would seemly do no damage. With the HMG that's never a problem. Further it has the power to tear through walls, which is a huge advantage over other sniper rifles. The fact that it can take down heavy enemies, has some odd firing options, and has a large clip size, is all just bonus. The main drawback, the weight, is a non-issue. By the time a soldier gets an accuracy stat high enough for sniping they'll have 70 strength, and being in the back they don't need to carry med kits or grenades anyway.

I found that, weirdly, ninja stars were the best secondary weapon. Light weight, and gave them an attack option when moving. Surprisingly effective too if you have the throw stat high.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 06:41:42 am »
i think they´re comparable in that role, with the minigun more versatile.
what sniper rifles lack is the ability to kill 2-3 enemies per turn, due high TU cost.
HMG will definately kill a target, but you only get one shot per turn...
thats why i prefer minigun over it, even though its a lot less accurate.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 04:30:53 pm »
I 100% agree with Hadriex' analysis.
Also I wonder if sniper rifles shouldn't have better snapshots...

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 05:40:54 pm »
30% TU snap shot would be pretty cool
i take it wall penetrating shots are not possible...
IMO the main draw back of the HMG is the 90% TU shot, basically you can't even turn or kneel that turn.
as for other sniper rifles i agree, the dmg output is mediocre. (dunno plasma sniper, never had it researched yet)
Some have a nice boost formula, but only pays off for acc 100+.
Sadly there seems to be no alloy ammo for most.
What about HEIAP/Raufoss ammo though?  8)

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 07:21:04 pm »

.. - just should have has(?)

mali by mít..

btw., besides, now, just now i got such 1idea: - about kinds of fire, && kind of ..guns  (weapon) -

i thinking, overall in whole ufo-x-com core, /engines, there should be those mode, kind of firing, AND kind of weapon divided, and mngemented approximately such, according this table :

--> and, there, in ufo-x-com_core -engines, there should be created (if even possible doable) (at minimal, at least) TWO DIFFERENT .. (streams, handlers, for firing´s functions..)   KIND, type of firing :
(if doable)

snipers, all "sniper-genre guns,   all nimrod, jaeger rifles, etc  ==:  very accurate *MODE of FIRING,  --   fire at 1point, just *Sniper mode Firing"

and for all types of miniguns, gatlings, GAU-xx, machineguns too, etc ==:  *mass -mode firing,   mass-firing

..and also, acurrancy, and all concerning parameters - counting now separately, and extra, for this category of firing, -  so,   extra accurancies, (and all others relevant parameters) for point, Sniper Firing,
..and also, second line, anothers extra set of parameters for this *mass -firing mode"..

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 09:38:51 am »

I think the minigun itself actually holds a potential solution here; kneel bonus multiplier (at least if it does what I think it does).

Reduce the TU cost and base accuracy of aim/snap modes for snipers, and give them a high(er) kneel bonus multiplier. Might be worth experimenting with?