Author Topic: New features request for OXCE  (Read 961 times)

Offline Precentor Apollyon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: New features request for OXCE
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 12:21:14 pm »
I have spent some time pondering of the craft defense mission idea, if such a feature might be implemented one day. I am not saying I want it at this time, but maybe in the far future. This is an interesting concept as some has said.

This is how it can be done, using existing game mechanics.

First, when the craft is shot down, there would be a check against the starting condition of the terrain it crashed in. If the condition is not met, then the craft is crashed beyond recovery.

If the condition is met, then a TEMPORARY BASE BUILD or called on the crash site. It will be treated just like a base defense mission, using a variant of the base defense features from the alien deployment rul file.

The "base" would have at least a virtual hanger and a barrack. Why this is basically for the base transfer mechanic would be use, when the rescue craft reach the "Base" and it will "transfer out" or rescue existing survivors and equipment, before the temporary base will disappear.

In between the time of rescue or when the "base" is suppose to disappear due to x number of days and its deadline has come.

The "Base" would be subjected to X number of alien attack, similar to a base defense mission. Instead, mission script would use existing terrain and map to build a crash site similar to how an XCom base is layout. The "Base" would disappeared when..

-Everything transfer out, aka rescue.
-Deadline is met.. no rescue possible.
-Everyone killed by the Aliens or enemy factions.   

Anyway, this is my two cent of how it can be done, whether someone will make it happen or the engine can make it possible. Well, I leave it to the coders, I thought I share my ideas..

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 01:16:02 pm »
As far as  I can tell there is no way to create a "temporary base build" using existing game mechanics, nor could equipment or soldiers be "automatically" trasferred to or from that base.

Also, how would this "temporary" base work with the existing base mechanic and limit? What happens when the player has already reached the maximum amount of bases (eight)? What would keep me from simply transferring the soldiers+equipment out from that base using the transfer screen?

I'm also not sure that you can spawn alien missions targeting the base, but then "despawn" the base and use vanilla terrain instead. Overlaying maps is apparently possible, but this sounds kind of harebrained. Additionally you probably wouldn't have aliens attacking the "base" directly after the crash - they would have to discover it first. Also, you can't "despawn" a base by simply transferring everything out or tie it to a timer.

So yeah, as far as I can tell this can't be done using "existing mechanics", since existing mechanics don't support the majority of what you're proposing.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:20:02 pm by krautbernd »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 11:02:32 am »
Again, another reply that’s lack of constructive but full of suppressive comments.

If you are a coder and you have a full knowledge of the game engine mechanics, I will have consider your reply seriously.

Instead, I find your attempts in trying to be someone that you are not.. hilariously entertaining.

Some of your comments in the reply, “I am not sure” and you are guessing in some of the questions you ask. Why don’t you leave it for the coders to decide and let them answer the questions. Instead of assumptions and showing your lack of knowledge just to win some points?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 05:42:43 pm »
You're the one pretending (or misunderstanding? I'm not even sure at this point) how this could be implemented using existing mechanics when it clearly can not. You're proposing "temporary bases" - something that doesn't exist in the game, and neither can player bases right now be auto-generated or deleted. There is also no way to block transfers between bases, something that would be necessary before your idea could even be considered, since your proposal hinges on the player having to manually evacuate the 'base'.

I'm sorry for not whole-heartedly supporting your request, but right now your relying on gross oversimplifications without actually taking into account which mechanics (or changes to existing mechncis) would be needed for your idea to work. I am under no obligation to give you positive feedback or to pretend that your idea isn't inherently flawed if you think it can be implemented using existing mechanics. This is a discussion forum and I'm discussing your feature request. If you don't want people pointing out why your request won't work and will be more difficult to implement than you make it out to be - maybe actually think your requests through before posting them?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:45:52 pm by krautbernd »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 06:31:46 pm »
Most of what I have input.. are features that could have made xcom ufo into a better, interesting and fun game. I know my ideas are outrageous and extravagant.. simplified and ignoring the current game mechanic.

I am just sharing of what I would like in a UFO game, to make it bold and interesting, should there be no limitation. Perhaps that limitation might not be there in the future. However, the ideas I have is here and now, when I put them here in this forum. I hope one day, the other modders could use of my ideas as inspiration, when those limitations are conquered and overcome.

I put them here and now, while I am still able to remember them. For in the future, I won't..
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:36:36 pm by wcho035 »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 12:20:52 pm »
I could say that krautbernd have overall good intuition what is easy doable in game and what not.

wcho035 if you want propose something choose things that are simple to implemented but have big payoff.
If you only propose only things that give some small flavor and it require lot of code then no developer will want to implemented this.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 03:58:06 pm »
Fair enough Yankee, I really appreciate the input.