aliens

Author Topic: OpenXcom - War  (Read 67864 times)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom - War
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2013, 06:22:42 pm »
for Drecik:
merge it? hah, good one. no, i'm gonna start over, i was a complete noob when i started that, now i'm slightly less of a complete noob and i know my way around the code, i realize there are MUCH better ways to do just about everything i was doing.

plus this time i'm actually going to document every stage on github, so if someone sees a feature they like (say, shotgun behaviour) they should be able to add it to their own branch simply by merging the commit.

Offline MadMelvin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 04:37:43 pm »
My modest suggestion: you should be able to extract a small amount of Elerium from all those Heavy Plasma clips you end up with. I usually never bother with researching the lesser Plasma weapons, because I know the aliens will abandon them later. This would make it a little bit less painful to manufacture ammo for these weapons.

However, part of the game is that Elerium is supposed to be rare. To avoid unbalancing the resource system, it should be an expensive, inconvenient process, only to be undertaken when absolutely necessary. If it's implemented properly, commanders will consider it a Very Bad Idea in most circumstances. I played around with the ruleset a bit and came up with this:

- Only Heavy Plasma clips will contain enough Elerium to get anything worthwhile. It takes 3 units to make a clip, but you'll only get 1 out.
- After researching the clip, you have to research the extraction process separately.
- It's expensive enough that you can't make Elerium for profit.
- It should take a large amount of workshop space. Like, more than it takes to build a ship. The idea here is that this is a super-dangerous process, so everybody has to clear out of the workshop with the exception of maybe five or ten guys. If someone wanted to tackle the coding, it would be cool if there was a small chance for it to blow up, destroy your workshop, and kill a few engineers.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2013, 12:38:37 am »
For some damn Elerium?! That's some crazy addiction. Unless you also add that every few tries will yield better results. Just make a new facility like a refinery with thick alien alloyed walls around the facility so any backfires and explosions stay inside the refinery. Engineers will be using robots and machines to extract the Elerium, so no one dies :) You'll be able to extract Elerium from any and all Alien tech that normally requires Elerium to make.

Thx for making this mod Warboy. When you merge it with the master someday, don't forget to make every extra feature toggle-able in the options menu 8)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:39:04 am by WeOwnTheNight »

Offline XB-7

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2013, 10:24:11 pm »
This mod sounds amazing!  I'd really like to try it out.  However, I couldn't find a 0.4.5 release of OpenXcom for Mac.  I found a good reference in the forum on how to build the source code.  Unfortunately I haven't been successful in compiling it yet: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,127.0.html.

Do you know if anyone is hosting the 0.4.5 version compiled for Mac?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2013, 01:11:11 am »
This mod sounds amazing!  I'd really like to try it out.  However, I couldn't find a 0.4.5 release of OpenXcom for Mac.  I found a good reference in the forum on how to build the source code.  Unfortunately I haven't been successful in compiling it yet: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,127.0.html.

Do you know if anyone is hosting the 0.4.5 version compiled for Mac?
You can still get the 0.4.5 Mac Bundle but it's reeeeeeeeally old, I wouldn't recommend it. :P

Offline inigma3000

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2013, 08:08:47 pm »
Great mod! Looked forward to using flamethrower, looked good until...
I ran out of fuel had to disengaging alien craft...nothing on my Geoscope worked after that.  Had to Ctrl+Alt+Del and shut down to get out of OpenXcom.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:53 pm »
Great mod! Looked forward to using flamethrower, looked good until...
I ran out of fuel had to disengaging alien craft...nothing on my Geoscope worked after that.  Had to Ctrl+Alt+Del and shut down to get out of OpenXcom.

I haven't used the flamer yet. Thanks for reminding me. Now I'm gonna try to burn down those wooden houses in the farm tileset.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2013, 10:14:45 am »
Hey, where's Warboy? Haven't "seen" him in a while.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2013, 10:45:46 am »
Hey, where's Warboy? Haven't "seen" him in a while.
Was just thinking this today also?

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »
It's been awhile since I've seen his name on the nightly builds. I think I saw him lurking the board yesterday though. He should be fine ;D

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2013, 07:36:52 pm »
He's gone deep underground to work on the new AI, probably doesn't wanna get distracted. ;)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2013, 11:00:21 am »
You can get rather deep into AI for a turn-based game, I hope he has set some goal to work towards, otherwise it can become like an endless black hole where you get sucked into and never get out :)

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2013, 12:38:01 pm »
He's gone deep underground to work on the new AI, probably doesn't wanna get distracted. ;)

Very good news!

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2013, 12:05:29 pm »
Wish him luck from us!

We miss the savedgame breakage and we're looking forward to criticize his code!

jk :)

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2013, 03:13:31 pm »
I'm looking forward to praise Warboy for eternity for creating the worlds best XCOM AI!!