Author Topic: Game failed after only 3 months?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Zurakx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Game failed after only 3 months?
« on: August 13, 2019, 03:34:17 am »
Hello i just downloaded this mod a couple hours ago using the latest nightly mod pack. Steam install of UFO defense.

The big thing i noticed is that after only 3 months, all the sudden it was game over. The council disbanded to deal with the threat on their own. This has never happened to me in the base game and I was even playing on beginner just to get my feet wet with this new version. I was not operating in the red either. The only thing I can conceive to be a problem is the -600 -800 -1200 iirc monthly ratings I was getting despite keeping my europe area happy. I really just have no idea why the game ended.

The second issue, which is probably related to the negative scores, is that on the majority of my UFO interceptions, the interceptor would catch up to the ufo, engage and instantly disengage. After that the UFO just vanishes into space or something. Now that I think about it, this is probably due to that intercept line option I turned on and should probably turn that back off. If I had to guess, thats the problem on this one.

So, any ideas why my game just ended out of nowhere when i was operating well within the green?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Game failed after only 3 months?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 05:53:12 am »

Offline Zurakx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 07:49:20 am »
Ahh interesting thank you!

I'm curious what has changed in the game from retail to this. I started a new game without the UFO interception prediction pathing on. I dont have the issue of failing to intercept anymore. I had what would have been a great month in retail for my first month, but still got -870 score. Has the starting tactics changed or something? I feel like i'm really missing something! Perhaps I've missed a good starting guide somewhere?

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:28:19 pm »
I'm curious what has changed in the game from retail to this.

If this is your first experience with OpenXcom coming off playing the original retail version. Then you should be aware of this interesting fact about difficulty in the original game:

Link to info: (Some spoilers, so only read if you don't mind that)
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Difficulty_Levels#Known_Bugs
"All DOS versions of X-COM have a bug which causes the difficulty setting to revert to "Beginner" after the first combat. XcomUtil and several other utilities can be used to fix this bug."

This bug is already patched out in OpenXcom, so it is possible that the game is much more difficult than you were expecting as the difficulty settings are actually working.

The aliens can really push back now. It's great! ^_^

If you want a full list of the differances between OpenXcom and the original retail version you may want to also give this list a quick glance.

Link to info: (Again, some spoilers.)
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Differences_to_X-COM_(OpenXcom)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 11:30:34 am »
I lost my first vanilla TFTD campaign in 2 or 3 months. Nothing unusual about this. :)