aliens

Author Topic: Increased detection chance against specific missions  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Kzer-Za

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Increased detection chance against specific missions
« on: August 11, 2019, 11:37:23 pm »
Is there a way to give all radars a bonus to detection chance against the missions that are known to you (as the result of researching alien navigators)? Maybe with scripts somehow?

The idea is that if your personnel knows the patterns and procedures that UFOs follow when conducting specific missions, they are able to adjust the equipment to better detect the UFOs on these missions.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Increased detection chance against specific missions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 12:00:51 am »
no

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 03:29:08 am »
For automated (terror-style) missions, yes. For detecting UFOs (landed or otherwise), no.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 09:21:55 am »
For automated (terror-style) missions, yes.

What do you mean?

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 01:42:25 am »
I mean you can research a DAGON BASE technology and then DAGON BASE missions will start spawning. But you can't research an ALIEN MOTHERSHIP technology and then start detecting alien motherships. I don't know if you can research an alien mothership technology and then start having alien motherships appear, hm...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:48:18 am by Bobit »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 09:13:10 am »
But that has nothing to do with radar detection and the original question.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 04:29:08 pm »
Not directly. But it's another method of having missions be unlocked, which I feel is the function of what he's asking for.

Offline Kzer-Za

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 05:37:23 pm »
Actually, no :) What I meant was radar detection, just as Meridian says.

Well, if there is now way of increasing the chance of radar detection of specific missions after you have them researched, I'll just lock the Hyper-wave Decoder behind the research of all alien missions, muahahahaha! The idea was to make researching them useful from the gameplay point of view, and this way it will also work. It will also be logical — after all, how can Hyper-wave Decoder tell you that a UFO is on an Alien Infiltration (for example) mission, if you supposedly don't know what this means?

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 11:29:46 pm »
I think it's possible to use research triggers to make a mission end and another, similar mission begin. The similar mission could spawn UFOs with a larger size rating (even though they can look like they are the same size) and thus be easier to detect. Don't ask me how research triggers can do this, I know very little about that topic.

Whenever Meridian says it can't be done, it can't be done directly. That doesn't mean there isn't a wild strategy out there to work your way around the issue. Stay creative, friend.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 08:21:24 am »
Sorry, but there's a difference between creative workarounds and hopeless dead ends.

The approach you describe is a hopeless dead end:
1. missions can be interrupted immediately by a research trigger (OXCE only), but cannot be restarted... the only way for them to respawn would be a random chance at month end
2. the classic mission table system does not support research triggers at all... if you wanted to use them, you would have to write a completely new mission system using mission scripts without a mission table... and just FYI, even though missions scripts based on execution chances and research triggers are a powerful tool, they are not able to replicate the vanilla mission table based approach
3. there are no bigger UFOs than very large
4. the effect of UFO sizes on the detection chances is hardcoded (=not moddable) and practically negligible when increasing size of the UFO "by one"

There is no wild strategy out there that would achieve what Kzer-Za wants.

PS: In the next OXCE version, Yankes will add UFO detection scripts... but I don't know if they will be able to access all the necessary information (e.g. discovered research table or UFO's mission).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:34:32 am by Meridian »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 06:15:16 am »
Is there any intent to add the capacity for research triggers to begin a specific mission, other than a retaliation mission?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 09:50:57 am »
Is there any intent to add the capacity for research triggers to begin a specific mission, other than a retaliation mission?

This is already available in mission scripts, at the beginning of a month.

PS: just in case you want to argue with previous statements... it's a "specific mission"... not a "mission interrupted earlier by a specific trigger". It would spawn regardless of whether something was interrupted or not.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 08:59:22 pm »
This is already available in mission scripts, at the beginning of a month.

PS: just in case you want to argue with previous statements... it's a "specific mission"... not a "mission interrupted earlier by a specific trigger". It would spawn regardless of whether something was interrupted or not.

Then it could work by having the research trigger end a specific mission and start another specific mission, right? That's what I'm suggesting.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 10:11:10 pm »
Then it could work by having the research trigger end a specific mission and start another specific mission, right? That's what I'm suggesting.

No , it cannot.
I thought you would say that and I explained why it cannot work in the "PS".
I'm sad you didn't read that.