aliens

Author Topic: Negative Index? (bigSprite: & ignoreInBaseDefense: variables)  (Read 1422 times)

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Negative Index? (bigSprite: & ignoreInBaseDefense: variables)
« on: August 09, 2019, 05:48:15 pm »
In the current 2019 builds of OpenXcom using negative values in bigSprite: is no longer supported.

Instead index values "57 through 61" are used by the alien units that used to use "-1 through -5".

(Question 1)
Are the sprites assigned to the negative values given a blank image, and if so why are there five different versions?
(I could be misremembering but I seem to recall Reapers & Chryssalids not having a visible weapon when mind controlled.)

(Question 2)
If I remember correctly all HWP ammo was given a bigSprite: value of -1 to prevent it from appearing during the equipment selection screen or when aliens assault a X-Com base.

Am I correct in my assumption that this has been replaced by the command "ignoreInBaseDefense: true".

If it has, do I still need to assign the item a bigSprite: value to an item that is using the ignoreInBaseDefense: variable?

(Additionally)
This image has been invaluable concerning this topic, so I'll attach it to this post:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 06:09:18 pm by The Martian »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Negative Index? (bigSprite: & ignoreInBaseDefense: variables)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 06:23:08 pm »
Are the sprites assigned to the negative values given a blank image, and if so why are there five different versions?

No, there are no blank images.
There are no sprites with negative indices anymore, full stop.

If I remember correctly all HWP ammo was given a bigSprite: value of -1 to prevent it from appearing during the equipment selection screen or when aliens assault a X-Com base.

Am I correct in my assumption that this has been replaced by the command "ignoreInBaseDefense: true".

They were not assigned any value before; and that's how it should stay.
Please do not use "bigSprite" for HWP ammo at all.

"ignoreInBaseDefense: true" is not needed for HWP ammo.

If it has, do I still need to assign the item a bigSprite: value to an item that is using the ignoreInBaseDefense: variable?

No, you didn't need to assign HWP ammo any bigSprite before, and you should also not do it now.