aliens

Author Topic: Alien food / unused items  (Read 6929 times)

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Alien food / unused items
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 09:34:45 pm »
Would 30 holodudes be more or less expensive than 30 rookies? Can they be re-used if they aren't killed?

Asking for a friend.
not sure about the cost (its definately over selling price of entertainment...), but of course they can't be re-used... the grenade they came in is gone :P
For balance reasons there might even be a maximum turn lifetime for them, like 1 or 2 or so...
(your arguments on why it doesn't fit content wise are pretty valid though. then again, might be psionic projections... >_> )

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 10:01:33 pm »
So what reason would there be to use them over rookies?

I don't really see the downside here. Maybe i'm missing something. I mean, as long as the rookies don't die during the mission they are quite reusuable, and they don't have a turn limit either. They can even use weapons (well, grenandes probably, unless they can actually hit something with a gun).

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 11:21:21 pm »
The grenades don't take up transport capacity and may be cheaper, and you can carry multiple.
Also you can throw them immediately where they are of most use, instead of having them to walk around (and possibly get shot before that).
Basically a "rookie in a can" at the right time at the right place. ;)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 12:02:01 am »
But can the hologram guy carry a primed high-ex and run up to cyberdisk a group of aliens?

I don't think i'm totally sold on the idea. I don't quite see the appeal.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 12:44:52 am »
Of course the hologram can not.  ;D
Its not meant to replace rookies, just have a target at the right time at the right place to maybe catch some bullets or draw some enemies out.
Of course a rookie is better in any aspect, except more expensive, limited by transport slots (as you surely don't wanna carry 10 rookies with you) and costs score/morale if killed...

I´d imagine hologram use to draw sniper shots (or other powerful attacks) or waste a few enemy shots/TU if you throw them closer to an enemy than your units are, so less shots are actually fired at them.
Just giving some tactical options.
Like e.g. you ran around a corner and there´s 3 guys standing and you can't retreat far enough. 1 hologram closer than your unit and it´ll eat some shots/TUs. Or maybe throw 2 or 3 if you can, maybe the enemy is stupid enough to blast each other with explosives...
(Then again if you could throw 3, just use real grenades...)
Or maybe eat a chrysalid attack. Or waste an alien MC. Or eat 1 cyberdisc or blaster shot... Or make an enemy with a heavy gun melee attack since range too close... I can imagine dozens of possible scenarios where a throwable dummy unit would be kinda useful.
Cannot guarantee all are valid or worth it though. ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:49:15 am by TheCurse »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 11:22:11 am »
How about not being court martialled? Is this incentive enough? :P
Also, holograms mean almost unlimited numbers. Very easy to overwhelm the AI the dumb way.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2019, 12:17:20 pm »
Can't be court martialed if you're not part of regular military forces. As far as i am concerned all my agents are private contractors. Who am I to tell them that they shouldn't strap explosives to their body and run up to extraterrestial invaders?  ::)

And yeah, being able to overwhelm the AI with dummy units is kind of exploity.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 12:55:02 pm »
oh, yeah that definately is an issue.
i think that could be solved by item size though. 2x2 or 1x3 size and you can't take too many with you.
might still be exploitable.
then again, its made from an item thats not really cheap... so you *could* mass spawn them every mission, if you´re willing to give half a million away each time...

@krautbernd: you know you could just let them throw the explosives, right?  ;)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 01:35:44 pm »
@krautbernd: you know you could just let them throw the explosives, right?  ;)
Not worth the risk, considering the throwing accuracy. Better safe than sorry.