Author Topic: Use of grenades by aliens  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Kzer-Za

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Use of grenades by aliens
« on: August 08, 2019, 09:47:43 am »
What are the rules that are applied for deciding when they are going to use them? I can't seem to make them throw any at all. Admittedly, I haven't played the campaign yet, just testing how it plays via New Battle, maybe in campaign it would be different. But in New Battle mode the aliens don't seem to throw grenades under any circumstances. I repeatedly specifically grouped several my guys within a copule tiles of each other to provoke a grenade throw, and nothing.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Use of grenades by aliens
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:25:00 am »
They prefer throwing grenades when they can hit more than 1 target at the same time.

Offline Kzer-Za

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:18:25 am »
Could you tell approximately how likely the aliens are to throw them? Because grouping my guys is exactly what I'v been doing: setting them in groups of three with one tile between the one in the middle and those on the sides. After the alien would keep just firing at them I would take the alien under control and make it throw its grenade manually, to be sure that it can throw the grenade at this distance. Maybe they don't throw grenades because my guys are in flying suits (but they are standing on the ground) so the calculations say that the damage (of the grenade) is rather low compared to armor? (I equipped them with flying suits so that they don't die to plasma before I get them into position).

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 11:31:54 am »
I can't tell you how likely it is in general.

But if you send me your mod and a specific save, I can tell you how likely it is in that exact situation.

Offline Kzer-Za

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 04:43:02 pm »
I'm going to attach the save and the mods that I use, including my attempt to change some things. In the situation in the save, the Sectoid keeps moping about between the avenger and the group of soldiers. Sometimes he shoots, sometimes just goes here and there. One time he threw a grenade (that's something new for this series of tests), but only after getting so close to the group of soldiers that it also killed him as well.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 10:15:52 pm »
I'm going to attach the save and the mods that I use, including my attempt to change some things. In the situation in the save, the Sectoid keeps moping about between the avenger and the group of soldiers. Sometimes he shoots, sometimes just goes here and there. One time he threw a grenade (that's something new for this series of tests), but only after getting so close to the group of soldiers that it also killed him as well.

Thanks.

The alien actually decides to use a grenade immediately... and the odds of using it are very high (98 out of 104)... but the odds get reset to zero just before the final decision is made.

It looks like a genuine bug... a very old one... but I will clarify with Warboy to be sure.
If we agree it's a bug and not some vanilla feature or side effect, we'll fix it in the next version.

PS: unrelated to this issue: if you can, upgrade to OXCE 5.6.1... or at least fix your options.cfg (move the xcom1 to the top of the list)... your mods are loaded in the incorrect order, you may have some funny side effects on vanilla weapons and other vanilla stuff
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:34:16 pm by Meridian »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 11:13:00 pm »
bug confirmed.
bug isolated and interrogated.
bug neutralised.

carry on, citizen.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 11:44:17 pm »

Offline Kzer-Za

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 11:14:41 am »
Wow! It's amazing how fast you guys work! :)