aliens

Author Topic: Recently discovered and fell in love with this mod.  (Read 15231 times)

Offline Hadriex

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Recently discovered and fell in love with this mod.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 12:07:51 pm »
Thank you.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 01:31:27 pm »
Guys, I tested and it turns out that the drone spawns with the clip, but unloaded (it's showing in the other hand window). Pressing 'R' loads the clip correctly, like with any other weapon.
This is a little awkward and I'll think how to make it nicer, but shouldn't be a problem.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 03:32:49 pm »
I completely forgot about the shortcut. Yeah, that does work of course, as long as the TUs work out. Is there any actual reason to have the clip though? As far as i can tell it only ever appears in the drones 'hands'. Since you can't access the drone's invenory you can't even reload the weapon once that clip has been drained. Neither does it appear in the pre-battle equip screen, not in the base inventory. It doesn't crop up as a researchable or manufacturable item either.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 11:17:30 am »
I guess it doesn't serve any further purpose beyond pure aesthetics. I didn't want to give the drones unlimited ammo, but didn't like the weapon disappearing after running out of ammo.
Actually, since the drones are now player controlled, perhaps clips make a bit more sense. I am unsure yet.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 12:11:41 pm »
If you want to keep the clips you'd either have to enable inventory access or find a way/request that units can be spawned with loaded weapons.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 07:21:25 pm »
If you want to keep the clips you'd either have to enable inventory access or find a way/request that units can be spawned with loaded weapons.

I don't want to give them true equipment, because they don't even have hands...
Well, switching to player operation wasn't as painless as I imagined. :P

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 09:21:40 pm »
I don't want to give them true equipment, because they don't even have hands...
Well, switching to player operation wasn't as painless as I imagined. :P
Meh, just add some fluff about the drones having rudimentary manipulators to open doors etc.
But yeah, I think the best solution would be to have units be able to spawn with loaded weapons. Doesn't sound too complicated to implement, but what do I know. I guess that's another thing to add to the 'possible feature' list for OXCE.

Offline Hadriex

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 04:58:58 am »
Just finished the Atlantis Temple mission. It says you can use various underwater armors, but when I started the mission I was put in diving suits. I loaded back and double checked, same problem.

You can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66FmMWyirIg - At the 37:00 mark, and I go in again at the 44:00 mark.

Also an unrelated question. Is Cydonia or Bust the end, or is there postgame? I want to know for the title of my stream tonight.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 11:20:17 am »
I'l check Atlantis, I can't remember such reports. But this mission will be removed in the next version anyway (I redid the end game, and also this mission isn't liked very much), so there won't be any fixing.

Cydonia is and will always (?) be the final mission.

Offline Hadriex

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 11:32:23 am »
K. Thanks.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2019, 12:01:31 pm »
Just want to join in and did not want to create another thread, as I basically want to say the same thing: I love this mod.
I tried it back in its early alpha days and then went away for 2 years or more and now came back to discover that it is a dream to play.
Just one tip for people new to the mod: Play it on the easiest setting to get a feel for it, works like a charm for me. It can be really hard sometimes (if you get a bad roll and end up with a bunch of VERY tuff enemies...) so easy does it for me. Oh and try to focus on ONE game-style when playing, either use RANGED weapons or MELEE, otherwise you might get overwhelmed by the weapon selection..  :P

Some suggestions:

- Make all grenades have no timer.  :D
- You set the explosion height setting to 2, why? 3 is round an thus more realistic.
- Make flares have a power of 20, PLEASE. They are not tiny candles, the are FLAAAARES  ;D
- Did you ever try the night color setting 16? OXCE doesn't allow it, but you can edit it manually in the CFG file. Looks grey, just like it should be in the night...
- Your space background need a revamp, just look at the WW1 mod and use the Back100.png, it's nice!  :)
- You should use the syndwar.ogg during a tac mission.
- Lower the no-sight targeting penalty, it is now 50% of a visible target, i tried 75% and it is MUCH more enjoyable. (especially the grenade launcher will benefit from that, turning it into a decent support weapon.)
-Please change the sell screen's color, in this mod one spends a lot of time in there, it's easy to confuse  it with the purchase screen, i made a quick change to it and it looks grweat, see attachment
-The HMG sound needs a cooler replacemnt
-The Dragonfly needs a door
-The BugHunt message is awkward, maybe make it "recon-satelite online" or sth.
-The Dart ammo takes forever to make  :o
-Maybe include turn1 alien tu mod
-Maybe include Health Recovery mod
-Maybe include Unrandomized wounds mod
-There's a glowing shield effect script available, that randomly flashes the shields, looks great, maybe add that?

What really is  awesome:
-The jail break missions, ah man, i love those!
-Panic/berzerk sounds are awesome, too, they really add to the immersion.

Anyway: Really good work, just the amount of work and the excellent balancing make me stand in awe.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:01:01 pm by new_civilian »

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2019, 01:05:12 pm »
FWIW, i tried to remove the timer on the grenades, it works only on proxys, the new OXCE no longer supports fusetype = 0
battletype 5 and throwonexplode works, but that turns them into proxies... not good if you want to give them to another trooper when running out of time tio throw.

Here the space background i was talking about. And a flag for X-Com dogs and rats, maybe it is better than to make them all americans  ;D

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2019, 01:06:03 pm »
And some screenies. I like your mod.  8)

Offline Hadriex

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 01:20:55 am »
Funny thing is, I don't mind the grenade timer option, but when I think about it I can't even imagine a use for it. Maybe a mission where you had to destroy something but didn't want your guys in the building when it goes up. But nothing like that exists in the game.

My biggest complaint, by far, was stuff being blown up. I tend to put every I might need on missions in my car/plane/whatever. It's super convenient rather then wasting time loading an unloading gear every mission, and if I arrive at a mission and am confronted with something I really didn't expect I can change equipment. But so many times explosions blew up all my stuff, and t was frustrating as hell, often gear that was worth a fortune, and takes a great deal of manufacture time would just vanish because as exploding spider popped out of nowhere in a cave and got reaction fired.

There's really got to be something X-com can do to protect their stuff. Come on guys, put it in a box or something.

But yeah, this mod is amazing, the assault on Cydonia was incredible, I only barely was able to win.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 11:59:17 am »
Just want to join in and did not want to create another thread, as I basically want to say the same thing: I love this mod.
I tried it back in its early alpha days and then went away for 2 years or more and now came back to discover that it is a dream to play.
Just one tip for people new to the mod: Play it on the easiest setting to get a feel for it, works like a charm for me. It can be really hard sometimes (if you get a bad roll and end up with a bunch of VERY tuff enemies...) so easy does it for me. Oh and try to focus on ONE game-style when playing, either use RANGED weapons or MELEE, otherwise you might get overwhelmed by the weapon selection..  :P

Thank you, thank you!
A praise from a modding scene veteran like you is much appreciated.

- You set the explosion height setting to 2, why? 3 is round an thus more realistic.

Neiter 2 nor 3 make a perfect spherical shape, but I am under the impression that 2 is closer. I can be convinced with math.

- Make flares have a power of 20, PLEASE. They are not tiny candles, the are FLAAAARES  ;D

No, they're tactical flares. Making them too good would make things less tactical in the first place. But you can:
- research better flares
- use flashlights
- create fires

- Did you ever try the night color setting 16? OXCE doesn't allow it, but you can edit it manually in the CFG file. Looks grey, just like it should be in the night...

It's a matter of taste, and I don't want to choose the colour myself.

- Your space background need a revamp, just look at the WW1 mod and use the Back100.png, it's nice!  :)

You mean the generic sky behind the globe?

- You should use the syndwar.ogg during a tac mission.

Well, it's briefing music... I can shuffle these around, but do you think it'd work better?

- Lower the no-sight targeting penalty, it is now 50% of a visible target, i tried 75% and it is MUCH more enjoyable. (especially the grenade launcher will benefit from that, turning it into a decent support weapon.)

Pssshhh. Please.

-Please change the sell screen's color, in this mod one spends a lot of time in there, it's easy to confuse  it with the purchase screen, i made a quick change to it and it looks grweat, see attachment

OK, makes sense. Did you do it with interfaces.rul, or through a background file?

-The HMG sound needs a cooler replacemnt

Like?
Asking seriously. I have no idea what's uncool with this one.

-The Dragonfly needs a door

All ships need a door to satisfy campers, and none will get them.

-The BugHunt message is awkward, maybe make it "recon-satelite online" or sth.

It's vanilla... and abstract.
Besides, recon satellite able to see small units? Through ceilings? Why was X-Com even established anyway?

-The Dart ammo takes forever to make  :o

I'm going to overhaul this part a bit anyway.

-Maybe include turn1 alien tu mod

What does it do? Can't remember this one.

-Maybe include Health Recovery mod

What does it do? Can't remember this one.

-Maybe include Unrandomized wounds mod

That depends on the weapon.

-There's a glowing shield effect script available, that randomly flashes the shields, looks great, maybe add that?

Wait, what?
Are you saying it's not flashing on your end?

What really is  awesome:
-The jail break missions, ah man, i love those!
-Panic/berzerk sounds are awesome, too, they really add to the immersion.

Anyway: Really good work, just the amount of work and the excellent balancing make me stand in awe.

Thanks a million! Please look forward to 1.0.

FWIW, i tried to remove the timer on the grenades, it works only on proxys, the new OXCE no longer supports fusetype = 0
battletype 5 and throwonexplode works, but that turns them into proxies... not good if you want to give them to another trooper when running out of time tio throw.

Well sorry, I don't know how exactly it works. But good work with your attempts.

Here the space background i was talking about.

Hmm... Kinda realistic. It must be more cartoonish to fit the game style, sorry.

And a flag for X-Com dogs and rats, maybe it is better than to make them all americans  ;D

Thanks, I have some designs already, I just need to code it. :)

PS. Sitting on the equipemnt pile not recommended. :D