Author Topic: Video settings are not saved -= WORKAROUND FOUND=-  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Zar Nivop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Video settings are not saved -= WORKAROUND FOUND=-
« on: July 05, 2019, 12:20:34 am »
I set the video to 1728x1000, 1/3 display Geoscape, x2 original for battlescape. Everything's peachy. But all these settings are reverted to defaults (640x480) when I quit and re-enter. Suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:19:38 am by Zar Nivop »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Video settings are not saved
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 12:23:37 am »
Your options.cfg file is read-only or in a write-protected location.

Offline Zar Nivop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
The plot thickens
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 01:18:48 am »
It wasnt read only. I edited it directly (displayHeight: 1080
  displayWidth: 1728)m saved and launched. Lo and behold - 640x480 again! I checked the file - yep, the setting in the file reverted to 640x480.

Yiu gave me an idea - I'll edit the file, save it, and then make it read only and launch the game. Be right back...

Offline Zar Nivop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Video settings are not saved
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 01:30:09 am »
I am at a complete loss. It revert to 640, nyt after several Alt-Enter gets back to 1728x1080. The file (read only) is unchanged with 1728 etc.

At least I don't have to edit the video options again. two or three Alt-Enter is a small price to pay. I;ll have to remember to remove the read-only when I'll want to change something.

If developers want to look deeper into it just say so, I'll 7zip the entire OpenXCom folder and share it through DropBox or Google Drive.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Video settings are not saved -=UGLY WORKAROUND FOUND=-
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 08:44:51 am »
Make a video showing what's happening and share the video.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 02:14:33 pm »
Many things can cause a file to revert (it all depends on user specific system, which programs are installed and to which location).

From your description i understand you start openxcom directly after editing the file, in order to find out it was reverted.
What i am curious about is what happens in the following scenario:
* Edit the file
* Close the file
* Close windows explorer (assuming you use that to navigate towards the file before opening)
* Try opening the file again

Are the edits still in place under this condition?

p.s. It might also helps us if you can tell us the full location of that file (something akin to c:\SOME_FOLDER\openxcom.cfg). If that is not possible a good alternative is to post the openxcom.log file from a session when the revert occurred.

Offline Zar Nivop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 04:09:27 pm »
A: ScreenRec - https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqet91kwtukry9v/bandicam%202019-07-06%2015-57-33-754.mp4?dl=0

B file location - o:\Free XCom\OpenXcom\user\options.cfg

In the screenRec you can see both it ignores the setting in the CFG file, and that it reverts it to 640x400

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 04:58:43 pm »
From your video i see it only happens when using fullscreen (borderless writes just fine).

Hence i suspect you are trying to set a screen resolution not supported by your hardware. Since openxcom can not guess what the next best (desired) resolution is, it falls back to the lowest value supported by your hardware.

When using fullscreen, try to stick to the resolutions available when clicking the Up/Down buttons on that screen. Those should be the safe resolutions as reported by your hardware.

Offline Zar Nivop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 05:18:43 pm »
The only problem with this is that the game always start fullscreen. Can I somehow order it to start windowed? The options are set to "borderless" but the game starts fullscreen anyways.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 05:27:59 pm »
Even when you delete the config file? That should default everything to the lowest setting (windowed , 640x400)

Anyhows, perhaps try windowed mode. It should be the safest setting.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 08:04:47 pm »
Always go borderless. Always. ;)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 10:46:42 pm »
Post your openxcom.log. If OpenXcom can't change the display (this includes resolution and mode) it will fallback to a safe default, something like this:
[INFO]   Attempting to set display to 1728x1000x8...
[ERROR]   Failed to set video mode
[INFO]   Attempting to set display to 640x400x8...
[INFO]   Display set to 640x400x8.
If so, not much you can do, something in your system is going "I can't do that, Dave". :P
You can try enabling OpenGL (in Display Filters) or updating your drivers, sometimes it helps.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:55:32 pm by SupSuper »

Offline Zar Nivop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 11:14:53 am »
I moved to OXCE. it works just fine.

Note that the problem I had with OXC is that it did not launch with "borderless" (nor with "windowed") else I wouldn't have any trouble. I really have no particular reason to go full-screen, where the error occurs.

The only thing I miss in OXCE is the predicted interception location, but it didn't work for me anyway...

I greatly appreciate the help I get here. You, precious community, are a gem. No sarcasm.

Offline Zar Nivop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Video settings are not saved -= WORKAROUND FOUND=-
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 04:01:32 pm »
Please note that this IS a bug in OXC. OXCE has no trouble setting the screen to 1728x1000 (Fullscreen). Evidence in link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mykb3qgraoabhh1/bandicam%202019-07-07%2015-51-16-754.mp4?dl=0