Author Topic: Succesion-Style Collaborative X-Piratez Let's play!  (Read 12618 times)

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Succesion-Style Collaborative X-Piratez Let's play!
« on: June 09, 2019, 10:58:25 pm »
Hey guys, MagicSkeleton here.

I am trying to gauge interest for a collaborative-style X-Piratez playthrough. For those who don't know what that is, you can look up probably the most famous of them all, Boatmurdered from Dwarf Fortress.

https://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/

Essentially, I am looking for a list of players to take turns playing one single save file from start of the piratical enterprise to (hopefully) happy end. We each play one or two months (depending on the interest and how many signups we get), then pass on the savegame to the next person. The person who is done with the turn should write an after-action-report (AAR) here and provide us with exciting screenshots from his gameplay. (If you love this mod as much as I, then you know we need more exposure, so a good chain of AARs can be shared and might get us new fellow players.)

If you have any suggestions or opinion, post it here, or find me on Discord.

AARs go here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7193.0.html

DA RULZ:

*Difficulty 4 - We don't want Jack Sparrow.
*Supermutant - No Save Scumming! (Well, not unless you're into savefile backups -- We can't check that so we'll take your word as pirate's honor)
*Codex pick - The guy whose turn it is picks the codex.
*After you're done with your game, pass the savefile to me AND to the next guy. If, for some reason, someone drops off the face of the planet, we can resume from my copy.
*New signups go at the tail of the queue, if we run out of people, the queue starts over with the first person and cycles again.
*Each different player gets to name ONE of one's soldiers after onerself. Losing any named soldiers as such is going to be met with severe glares of disapproval and eternal shaming.
*One week per player. If one is done faster, pass the savefile, then writeup the AAR. I am afraid that the longer we go, interest will wane so no sense in prolonging the game more than necessary.
*We will upgrade the game in the middle if needed.
*First 6 will play 2 months each, everyone else will play 1 month each. (Due to the inflation of things to do late-game.)
*Will shuffle the order in which everyone plays.

Things to decide:

-How much real life time allowed between turns.
-How many months each gets to play.
-Do we update the game mid-game or not?
-Do we take signups after the game starts? I am thinking of adding new signups/interested guys at the bottom of the list, before the rotation starts if anyone late wants to join. Again, depending on the number  of signups.

Members:

Magic Skeleton
Great Tuna
Thinky
Solarius Scorch
Legion of One
Dioxine
Gothmos
Grub Leafeater
Tiff Aching
Nep Nep
Marza

Order of action:

Magic Skeleton
Legion of One
Thinky
Marza
Dioxine
Nep Nep
Great Tuna
Grub Leafeater (MIA)
Solarius Scorch (partial turn, 13 days)
Tiff Aching (Withdrawn)
Gothmos (Passed turn)
Magic Skeleton (partial turn, 26 days)
Legion of One  (partial turn, 10 days)
Thinky <----
Marza
Dioxine
Nep Nep
Great Tuna
(Grub Leafeater?)
Solarius Scorch
Gothmos
Magic Skeleton
Legion of One
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:45:04 am by Iazo »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Succesion-Style Collaborative X-Piratez Let's play!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 12:14:25 am »
Ohhh, count me in!

-How much real life time allowed between turns.

If 1 turn is 2 months, then I'd say a week. Most people will want to do it faster anyway.

-How many months each gets to play.

2 is fine. Anything less would make realizing your plans difficult; for example, research + manufacture + test some gear takes time.

-Do we update the game mid-game or not?

Sure! There will be bugfixes, and what kind of idiot would pass on all the new juicy stuff?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 12:38:07 am »
I'm in.
Though my writeup might take a little longer then a week in some cases. Creative framing is not my fastest writing mode.

2 months and a week in IRL seems good.

As to updates, i would say that depends on the patch contents itself. Dio has teased about a major rework of shields in the next patch as an example. A major structure change of that level could leave someone in a really crappy situation. Mostly i would agree with keeping updated outside of major changes.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 12:52:11 am »
As to updates, i would say that depends on the patch contents itself. Dio has teased about a major rework of shields in the next patch as an example. A major structure change of that level could leave someone in a really crappy situation. Mostly i would agree with keeping updated outside of major changes.

Eh, Dwarf Fortress spirit demands the blood to flow. It's not like Piratez are that difficult anyway.
If I'm required to play some old version, then I'm not willing to participate at all.

Offline Novice apprentice

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 02:09:23 am »
Hi, I'm Gothmos in the discord.
I'm interested, 1-2 months sounds good to me. Just about finished my current playthruogh of 14a (at conq grind) and am not keen to commit to another full playthrough but a few months sounds manageable.
I'm in favour of upgrading mid patch, would suggest not starting until the big patch expected within a few weeks.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 02:53:01 am »
Yeah i can understand not wanting to deal with the hassle. Just thinking of the few times a system change has been a severe hassle to compensate for mid game over the years.

No fun if someone gets passed the ball on patch week and finds the economy or gear setup no longer functions to intent and then just spends his entire turn solving the new wrinkle.

Though i guess its academic, with sufficient of the senior community involved, we can probably save edit around anything truly terminal.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 06:21:18 am »
I'm actually partial to 2 months myself. The only thing that is holding me back is how many signups we get. If we get like 20+, is possible not everyone will get a turn with 2 months. But in principle I'd mark it for 2 months.

One week per player sounds good. Even then, it'll be a long 4-5 months if everyone plays the maximum time allotted so I'll kindly ask the peeps to not dilly-dally.

Also, should we take signups after the game starts? I can add them at the bottom of the queue, before the rotation.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 06:31:50 am by Iazo »

magus1

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 06:56:42 am »
Me!!! Add me...

me me me me me  :-*

Add TiffAching xxxx

Mags

(how did I become a Captain?)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:19:07 am by magus1 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 01:50:32 pm »
Iazo asked me to join in as well, so I formally file my participation in :)

2 ideas:
- Shortening turn to 1 month after 1-1.5 years have passed and much more stuff is going on;
- Roll dice to set the final order of players? (Ofc for others than Iazo who goes first).

Offline nrafield

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 05:06:11 pm »
Hiya, I'm Nepnep on Discord and I'd like to join. 2 months at first, then cutting down to 1, and a week to take a turn seems fine to me.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 05:11:04 pm »
I think I agree with both points. After one year, a player will have to deal with an increased number of new missions, as well as multiple shootdowns that need to be cleared.

That means that two months will likely be too long after year 1.

So, the tentative plan is to have the first 6 peeps take 2 month turns, then everyone takes one month. In order to make it as fair as possible, I will cast dice for filling the list after myself.

Sounds good? Any strong objections should be made to me as soon as possible.

In another news, we've already got 10 players. I am willing to wait only a day more, but will close registration soon. A too large roster of players will see peeps wait too long for a turn and I do not want to overbloat this. If everything goes smooth, I will make and keep this kind of multiplayer game running so long as there's interest.

We will start with the current version, and update to the new version when it comes.

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
  • "If we can't see them, they can't see us!" - Rook
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 08:35:10 pm »
This certainly is going to be interesting! Though I definitely do agree with the idea of keeping Piratez as up-to-date as possible, unless something major happens or changes where we can discuss such here.

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 09:45:45 pm »
Sign me up Coach!

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 12:31:30 pm »
Aight, I'm gonna close down the pre-game phase of submissions. I rolled 10 100000-sided dice, and assigned the numbers to each player in order. I will sort by descending order.

Magic Skeleton
Great Tuna  52634
Thinky 62017
Solarius Scorch 36594
Legion of One 78015
Dioxine 60429
Gothmos 10795
Grub Leafeater 48649
Tiff Aching 25106
Nep Nep 56860
Marza 61080

Sorted in order the players will be:

Magic Skeleton
Legion of One
Thinky
Marza
Dioxine
Nep Nep
------------
Great Tuna
Grub Leafeater
Solarius Scorch
Tiff Aching
Gothmos

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 08:07:48 pm »
definately let me in,
(if still possible)