Author Topic: Base defense tips?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Base defense tips?
« on: May 24, 2019, 06:32:28 am »
Playing FMP on Superhuman. Generally pretty manageable, unless there's an early base defense (which there often is).

I understand you're supposed to build your base so that you don't get flanked. But even then, the enemy often has more armor than any of my ballistics can penetrate, as well as AoE damage that can oneshot everyone in a huge radius. What should I do?

• Stock up on way more soldiers, tanks, and heavy explosives than are needed for other purposes?
  • Build a secondary living quarters base, evacuate at first large UFO sighting, and simply accept the inevitable loss of sighted bases?
  • Avoid downing UFOs within range of the main base?

I don't think I can do all of that without going into deadly levels of debt. I need to pick 1-2. In any case I'm very surprised how much more common this lose condition seems to be than the other ones (score loss, debt, unrecoverable soldier/equipment loss).

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Base defense tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 04:00:56 pm »
Don't shoot down UFOs early and you won't get early retaliations. Easiest way to go.

P.S. all of the first month sectoid UFOs land, just follow them. In fact, most UFOs land, meaning you don't need to ever shoot down anything.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 09:41:20 am »
Didn't know that landed assaults don't trigger retaliation, thanks.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 05:23:53 pm »
Superhuman?  Use a lot of large rockets.  Makes up for lack of accuracy.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 06:43:25 pm »
Was never really sure whether the AoE was increased on those. Makes sense.