aliens

Author Topic: TFTD Base Locations  (Read 3903 times)

Offline mark617

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
TFTD Base Locations
« on: May 16, 2019, 08:04:40 pm »
I have seen this answered in roundabout ways, and watching streams it seems like most people play similarly. Yet, I was wondering (because in Xcom 1 it was obvious where to put them), what is / are the best places to build your bases (in terms of coverage, not the actual location)?

Here is what I mean: in Xcom 1 you were covering the funding nations (land) and you were playing / fighting on land. But, in TFTD, this is not the case. I try to cover 100% of the oceans with radar coverage, basically building my bases so the max radar circles are just touching the shorelines (radar covers 95% water and 5% land). But, I have watched others who place bases so they cover a lot of land (like a 50/50 radar coverage split). So, again, as to the above question, what is the best way to place bases throughout TFTD - maximum water coverage, or more land coverage?

Thank you!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD Base Locations
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 08:37:19 pm »
So, again, as to the above question, what is the best way to place bases throughout TFTD - maximum water coverage, or more land coverage?

Even better than both is knowing where to place your bases to minimize their detection by USOs (and subsequent alien retaliations)

Offline mark617

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 08:47:55 pm »
Even better than both is knowing where to place your bases to minimize their detection by USOs (and subsequent alien retaliations)

I guess. But I enjoy base defense missions. My concern is solely the best way to build bases to maximize happiness of funding nations.

Here is a better explanation via the UFOpaedia: "It is best to spread out your base placement to achieve maximal radar and interception coverage worldwide. A fairly standard base build order might be Europe, North America, China, Africa, South America, Australia, South Pole, and for the final base, either North Pole or Hawaii -- covering the major funding areas first and filling in all the remaining landmass at the end."

As I said, in EU it's obvious how to go about it. In TFTD, I assume the bold part would exchange landmass for water. In other words, it's best to get 100% radar coverage over water than worry about any radar coverage over land.

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:44:16 am »
In TFTD, I assume the bold part would exchange landmass for water. In other words, it's best to get 100% radar coverage over water than worry about any radar coverage over land.

That's it. Land is TFTD's water. ;) Also the concept of nations in TFTD are more the regions of the ocean owned by the various nations, so positioning bases to cover the land belonging to said country won't have the desired effect.

The usual advice applies with where to build. Go where the funding is highest or there is the highest cluster of countries to cover first and start filling out the gaps along the way. The middle of the Atlantic, the Indian Ocean, just off the coast of Japan or even south China sea are good places to begin.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:46:37 am by NKF »

Offline andre2

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 03:44:41 pm »
I place my first base by a fun aspect. Im from an island. So the question, where to place the first base is always answered.  ;)