Author Topic: Reactivating Auto Night Vision?  (Read 7885 times)

Offline Kruniac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Reactivating Auto Night Vision?
« on: May 12, 2019, 06:04:33 pm »
Hey folks. Thread title says it all. Auto night vision was removed or something, and I'd like to toggle it back on. I tried readding the option to the .cfg, but that does nothing.

How do I add this back in? I know it sounds horribly lazy, but I don't want to L + Scroll Lock every time I get into a fight.

Was there a specific reason to remove this?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Reactivating Auto Night Vision?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 11:10:12 pm »
It hasn't been removed, but the triggering conditions where changed. Now any friendly unit having any personal light blocks it. Pretty much every outfit has a very low level light to help with seeing your own units in the dark. This was changed at the OXCE engine level, nothing Dioxine has control over. So at least for the time being you gonna have to deal.

The 2 solutions are to either locate and modify the engine code back to what it was for your personal use, or remove all light from all outifts. Pick your poison if your that set on having it enable always.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 11:25:27 pm »
Now any friendly unit having any personal light blocks it. Pretty much every outfit has a very low level light to help with seeing your own units in the dark.

Not any, it must be "personalLight: 6" or more. 5 and less count as no personal light.

The 2 solutions are to either locate and modify the engine code back to what it was for your personal use, or remove all light from all outifts. Pick your poison if your that set on having it enable always.

Solution 1, revert this: https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/99e76b8aa63db8f18bd7586eeb85dd40eda68184

Solution 2 is not necessary, low light outfits are already ignored.
If the night vision is not triggering for you then there must be either someone with strong personal light; or the craft itself must emit strong light.

PS: as for reason why it was removed, it was because of people who endlessly complained how they don't like it; I got 10 complaints per month about it at minimum. It is basically impossible to balance when the night vision is turned on and there will always be people who think it should trigger more or trigger less. Heck, there was even this one guy who didn't want it even in pitch black without any lights or personal lights. Currently it should trigger only if there is no light or only weak light in the craft, which is my personal limit for "minimum condition" (basically just preventing the pitch-black scenario, which was also reported many times as bug... and quite rightly so). For everything else, there are hotkeys.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:30:08 pm by Meridian »

Offline Ves

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:04:15 am »
I would be interested to know why the option in the settings was removed and we now have to adjust this for every damn night mission. I just started a new campaign and NV doesn't trigger at all. If somebody was unhappy with how this worked, he could have left it off by default and only activate it once needed. Guess what, thats how it is now, but for EVERYBODY. I used it without any problems, but now have to toggle this every single time. But loud minorities always get their way, i guess.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 02:35:35 am »
Personally, I like the change. It forces me to really look at the ambient conditions before switching on the night vision, which means less walking into an unexpected light source and getting lit up by reaction fire.

Offline Kruniac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 03:26:00 am »
Not any, it must be "personalLight: 6" or more. 5 and less count as no personal light.

Solution 2 is not necessary, low light outfits are already ignored.
If the night vision is not triggering for you then there must be either someone with strong personal light; or the craft itself must emit strong light.

Well, every single mission, with tribal gear, castaway, or anything, must have a lot of light at night. The gals all have "personal" lights, so I guess i'll have to get rid of that on their clothes or something.

I don't understand why it had to be changed from a toggle in the options menu. If people don't like it, they can set it to NAYY, right?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 06:47:36 am »
For me the issue is pretty annoying:  Game options will not let me change controls (I left click on the key options and nothing happens), and my computer has no scroll lock key.

So I have to minimize the game, enable on screen keyboard, bring up the game, click scroll lock,  minimize the game, close on screen keyboard, open game again.

And do this every time I kill someone just in case they were playing pokemon go and their copse has a light.  Kinda sucks.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:34 am »
snip
snip

Thanks for the clarify Merdian, but pretty much every combination of outfit and craft has light above 6 somewhere. Mostly the crafts having internal lighting/headlights, so pretty much perma off for piratez. Oh well.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 10:21:18 am »
For me the issue is pretty annoying:  Game options will not let me change controls (I left click on the key options and nothing happens), and my computer has no scroll lock key.
So I have to minimize the game, enable on screen keyboard, bring up the game, click scroll lock,  minimize the game, close on screen keyboard, open game again.
And do this every time I kill someone just in case they were playing pokemon go and their copse has a light.  Kinda sucks.

I don't see how the controls change wouldn't work, but if it indeed doesn't you can still change the controls manually in the options.cfg file.
Search for "keyNightVisionToggle".

I don't understand why it had to be changed from a toggle in the options menu. If people don't like it, they can set it to NAYY, right?

I'll add only that the option was removed, but it is now ENABLED for everybody.
The "problem" is not that the option was removed, but that the trigger conditions were made stronger.

Also, people, when you play missions that are 10 to 100 minutes long, and you make thousands of clicks per mission anyway, is it really that difficult to press one more key?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:07:20 am »
Sweet, changing the config worked.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Kruniac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 05:51:08 pm »

I'll add only that the option was removed, but it is now ENABLED for everybody.
The "problem" is not that the option was removed, but that the trigger conditions were made stronger.

Also, people, when you play missions that are 10 to 100 minutes long, and you make thousands of clicks per mission anyway, is it really that difficult to press one more key?

I gotcha. So it's perma enabled.

Well, I guess I'll have to remove the lights on most of the armors.

And yeah. It's difficult to press one more key, because it shouldn't be that way. Everything was fine before, and now it isn't.

Like I said, I understand the trigger conditions now, and can deal with this myself. Thank you for responding! :)

Offline Rangerh

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 05:36:34 pm »
From a search it seems all the personalLight are located in
Piratez.rul
Piratez_Armors.rul

So i changed them all to personalLight: 0

when testing quickly on a new game, on the first mission i have at night , the night vision trigger automatically as in the past version, that's great.
But after testing it on my current save, it does not work, the night mission i have near my base is complete night and i have to press scroll lock again.
I don't understand why as after a search in the saved game files there's no "personalLight" value in them ?

Any help ?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 08:16:23 pm »
There is probably enough light on the map.

Offline Rangerh

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 03:41:01 am »
Ah that must be the reason then as it's urban mission, a pity.