aliens

Author Topic: [MOD] Recruit Concerned Citizens  (Read 8937 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [MOD] Recruit Concerned Citizens
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 12:36:48 pm »
This mod is actually pretty much what happens during the second episode Gerry Anderson's UFO TV series (one of the main inspirations for UFO defense), test pilot witnesses a UFO being shot down by SHADO (the x-com-like organization in the show) and immediately starts investigating and snooping around (like the league's missions), he gets the "Concerned Citizen" treatment at some point via some melee by SHADO agents themselves too LMAO, at the end he ends up getting recruited as one of the combat pilots.

While my reason to use this explanation was provoked by the need to explain why rookies suck initially, it really created this kind of a story! :)

Hi, I like the idea and I thinking about a bit more different change - why not to do this with every saved citizen from every mission from the begining. And forbid any purchase of the soldier/scientist/engineer till some research or unlock with Promotion I or II.

So it means that on begining nobody can send you reinforcements but you can save citizens from mission with small chance to turn them into hireable "interested citizen" and after fast interogation on each (like 2-10hours of convincing to join) the person could change to normal soldier (which is now normaly for buy), or small chance to become scientist or engineer, or rare high tier soldier (I assume it is allready exits in game but possible to buy/research later in game now). Or kind of injured ex-Swat or else soldier (...took arrow into the knee...) with one high stat (like 90% of max) and one low stat (like 10% of maximum) or other possible personalities allready built in game.

If RNG gives you more scientist or enginner you can´t use on begining, you can allways fire them. And from soldiers you can choose the one´s you need, rest fire/sold. Or use rest as cannon fodder.

And after some research or Promotion the Council finally allow you to buy soldiers/scietists/engineers. But still you are able to turn saved citizens into anything you need.

And the difference between avatar (before / after) it is doesnt matter. The boy could wear women clothes, because he has notnig else, or he is part of LGBT community... what ever reason people have today to looks different... no big deal.

That´s could be more "real" on the beginnning as the group without support, so convincing people wherever and whenever it is possible rather to have all easily accesible from beginning. And also could helps to play a bit more cautious to save more citizens....

Just an idea :)

The idea is admittedly cool. Too radical to just implement it as is, but I'd like to see it done in a submod.

(I think you can't recruit engineers and scientists like this, though.)

Offline Corento

• Sergeant
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 04:59:18 pm »
The idea is admittedly cool. Too radical to just implement it as is, but I'd like to see it done in a submod.

I know it´s late to rework it completely this way. Unfortunately I know nothing about making mods. But here is a lot of smart moders, maybe someone can do it.

(I think you can't recruit engineers and scientists like this, though.)

even through manufacture process? Like interogation in Piratezz - change one unit to another....
or what I experienced now (new start for 1.7 patch) that pop up random event (i think something with salvagers) and few equipment/material/dead body arrived through transportation - so after resesearch of citizen he/she will be lost, but new researcher or engineer will appear ?

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2023, 07:34:35 am »
Hello and thank you for deeming my mod deserving a submod.
I don't think it's a bad concept, but one thing is bothering me: you can't set and properties on the produced soldier, so recruiting a white woman can give you a black male agent... :)

Hey Solarius,

I know this is an old post, do you did a feature ever get added to create a soldier by event with specific stats, gender, look, name, etc???  I saw this mod:

https://mod.io/g/openxcom/m/natasha-morozova-join-for-x-com-files

and it looks like it is accomplishing this goal.

I'm curious if you know of any limitations because I'm working on a X-Com Files sub mod currently needing the ability to at a given event, research discovery, etc I want to spawn a specific soldier.

Thanks

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2023, 10:30:00 am »
I know this is an old post, do you did a feature ever get added to create a soldier by event with specific stats, gender, look, name, etc???
It did (and this is also referenced in-thread). Look for 'spawnedPerson...' and 'spawnedSoldier' and follow the links for more precise syntax. This can also be done via events and not manufacture, which is how Natasha Morozova Join does it (although it also makes the custom soldiers their own soldier type, which is interesting but all kinds of janky).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 10:33:03 am by Juku121 »

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2023, 04:48:57 am »
Hi, I like the idea and I thinking about a bit more different change - why not to do this with every saved citizen from every mission from the begining. And forbid any purchase of the soldier/scientist/engineer till some research or unlock with Promotion I or II.

So it means that on begining nobody can send you reinforcements but you can save citizens from mission with small chance to turn them into hireable "interested citizen" and after fast interogation on each (like 2-10hours of convincing to join) the person could change to normal soldier (which is now normaly for buy), or small chance to become scientist or engineer, or rare high tier soldier (I assume it is allready exits in game but possible to buy/research later in game now). Or kind of injured ex-Swat or else soldier (...took arrow into the knee...) with one high stat (like 90% of max) and one low stat (like 10% of maximum) or other possible personalities allready built in game.

If RNG gives you more scientist or enginner you can´t use on begining, you can allways fire them. And from soldiers you can choose the one´s you need, rest fire/sold. Or use rest as cannon fodder.

And after some research or Promotion the Council finally allow you to buy soldiers/scietists/engineers. But still you are able to turn saved citizens into anything you need.

And the difference between avatar (before / after) it is doesnt matter. The boy could wear women clothes, because he has notnig else, or he is part of LGBT community... what ever reason people have today to looks different... no big deal.

That´s could be more "real" on the beginnning as the group without support, so convincing people wherever and whenever it is possible rather to have all easily accesible from beginning. And also could helps to play a bit more cautious to save more citizens....

Just an idea :)

Sorry for doing necromancy here.
I m totally into this idea. I dont like how easy is to recruit soldiers in xcom, also this way fit perfectly in the beginning where you can throw sticks to the enemy and wear just clothes.

Edit: Still work but need to change "master: xcom1" to "master: x-com-files" in metadata.
I pity I dont try this one before.

This as a lot of potential!. Think about adding farmers and other civilians like cops. Also some factions that are not actually evil, but with less probability of give an agent. I m not talking about screening a Osiron boss but maybe some goon.

Edit 3: I m about to edit this and add lots of units but need help:

What is this? "    listOrder: 62354"

and  : how I can block soldier , scientist and engineers from the shop? I mean, not allow buy them.

Units added:
  - type: STR_MIB_AGENT
  - type: STR_MIB_SCIENTIST
  - type: STR_CAVE_GIRL
  - type: STR_CAVE_GUY
  - type: STR_EASY_RIDER
  - type: STR_WESTMAN
  - type: STR_FEMALE_STORMY
  - type: STR_MALE_STORMY
  - type: STR_MOTOR_MAN
  - type: STR_PINKY_DEVIL
  - type: STR_TECH_WIZARD
  - type: STR_EXALT_GOON
  - type: STR_ZSRR_GANGER
  - type: STR_ZSRR_RED_OPS_MALE
  - type: STR_ZSRR_RED_OPS_FEMALE
  - type: STR_NATASHA_MOROZOVA
  - type: STR_BLACK_LOTUS_FOLLOWER
  - type: STR_LO_WO
  - type: STR_SUPPORTER_OF_DAGON
  - type: STR_HUMAN_OSIRON_GOON
  - type: STR_RECLAMATION_OF_AETHER_MALE_INITIATE
  - type: STR_RECLAMATION_OF_AETHER_FEMALE_INITIATE
  - type: STR_DR_HADRIEX
  - type: STR_DR_ALPHA
  - type: STR_HUMAN_FARMER
  - type: STR_BRAINWASHED_HUMAN_FARMER
  - type: STR_STUNNED_HUMAN_FARMER
  - type: STR_SYNDICATE_WORKER
  - type: STR_SYNDICATE_SCIENTIST
  - type: STR_DOGE
  - type: STR_GERTRUDE_ELLISON
  - type: STR_EXALT_ARMORED_CAR
  - type: STR_ZSRR_ARMORED_CAR
  - type: STR_MIBTANK_TERRORIST
  - type: STR_WIZKID_SMALL_TANK_ROCKET_LAUNCHER
  - type: STR_MALE_CIVILIAN_SURVIVALIST
  - type: STR_MALE_DETECTIVE
  - type: STR_MALE_CIVILIAN_HUNTER
  - type: STR_FEMALE_CIVILIAN_HUNTER
  - type: STR_MALE_CIVILIAN_TECHNICIAN
  - type: STR_FEMALE_CIVILIAN_TECHNICIAN
  - type: STR_MALE_CIVILIAN_CITY_BOY
  - type: STR_FEMALE_CIVILIAN_CITY_GIRL
  - type: STR_MALE_CIVILIAN_POLARNIK
  - type: STR_FEMALE_CIVILIAN_POLARNIK
  - type: STR_FEMALE_CIVILIAN_FARMER
  - type: STR_MALE_CIVILIAN_FARMER
  - type: MALE_CIVILIAN
  - type: STR_MALE_CIVILIAN_GANGER
  - type: STR_MALE_GREASER
  - type: STR_MALE_ENGINEER
  - type: STR_MALE_SAILOR
  - type: STR_MALE_CIVILIAN_WORKER
  - type: FEMALE_CIVILIAN
  - type: STR_FEMALE_CASUAL
  - type: STR_BIKINI_BABE
  - type: STR_PRIEST
  - type: STR_MAID
  - type: STR_MALE_DOCTOR
  - type: STR_FEMALE_DOCTOR
  - type: STR_POLICEMAN
  - type: STR_POLICEWOMAN
  - type: STR_MALE_SWAT
  - type: STR_MALE_SOLDIER
  - type: STR_MALE_OFFICER_SOLDIER
  - type: STR_MALE_ELITE_SOLDIER
  - type: STR_CRISIS_TROOPER
  - type: STR_ARMY_ARMORED_CAR
  - type: STR_MALE_DIVER_SCIENTIST
  - type: STR_FEMALE_DIVER_SCIENTIST
  - type: STR_SLEEPER_MALE
  - type: STR_SLEEPER_FEMALE
  - type: STR_DAVID_VINCENT
But I have doubts about some duplicated units.
I know its a big list but the shop its supposed don't allow recruiting anymore.
I need to change the probability for each unit, so a scientist like Alpha got 100% scientist but a Red Soldier as a 75% join and 25 not join.

I also want to add "rescued" units but not sure how. Like "rescue the engineer in warehouse" or "you found a jail with several prisoners", stuff like that.

Also the mercs you hunt, like Dr. Alpha become scientist etc, they like money and or a organization to protect them. But I m not sure about research and recruitment. I can copy the way this mod uses the workshop that's all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 08:33:24 am by Belcanzor »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2023, 11:47:06 am »
...need help:

What is this? "    listOrder: 62354"
This is just the order of this item in lists (buy, sell, research, pedia, depending on which kind of ruleset entry it is).

how I can block soldier , scientist and engineers from the shop?
'requires: STR_MILESTONE_1' for soldier types, 'hireScientistsUnlockResearch' and 'hireEngineersUnlockResearch' for the others.

'requires: STR_TROLLIUM' if you're feeling particularly sadistic. :P

I need to change the probability for each unit, so a scientist like Alpha got 100% scientist but a Red Soldier as a 75% join and 25 not join.
If you use manufacture to recruit them, 'randomProducedItems' with one entry being empty, like this:
Code: [Select]
    randomProducedItems:
      - [25, {}] # empty
      - [75, {STR_RED_SOLDIER: 1}]

I don't think you can do this with personnel (correct me if I'm wrong), so that 'STR_RED_SOLDIER' is going to be another store item, one that 100% produces your spiffy new Red agent.

I also want to add "rescued" units but not sure how. Like "rescue the engineer in warehouse" or "you found a jail with several prisoners", stuff like that.
Add prisoner items, similar to the corpses found during sacrifice events, but recoverable. Make them a manufacturing resource, and the 'product' is a soldier or other staff.

Also the mercs you hunt, like Dr. Alpha become scientist etc, they like money and or a organization to protect them. But I m not sure about research and recruitment. I can copy the way this mod uses the workshop that's all.
Make the live Dr. Alpha a part of a manufacturing project, like everything else. If you kill him, well, too bad.

Edit: The mod already does the random production and agent items.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 11:50:25 am by Juku121 »

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2023, 09:57:35 pm »
Thank you Juku121!

If someone as time to help with an example line:

I add with Notepad++ the two Aether and got this error, already try changing the name:
D:/OpenXcom Extended710/user/mods/Recruit not buy/Ruleset/recruitcitizens.rul: Error for 'STR_SCREEN_AETHER_M': wrong node type, expected a map at line 56

Here is what I did:
  - name: STR_SCREEN_CITIZEN_M
    category: STR_RECRUITMENT
    time: 72
    cost: 0
    requires:
      - STR_SCREENING_CITIZENS
    requiredItems:
      STR_MALE_CIVILIAN_WHISTLEBLOWER: 1
    producedItems: {} # empty
    randomProducedItems:
      - [9, {STR_POTENTIAL_AGENT: 1}]
      - [2, {STR_POTENTIAL_SCIENTIST: 1}]
      - [3, {STR_POTENTIAL_ENGINEER: 1}]
      - [8, {STR_ANGRY_CITIZEN: 1}]
      - [8, {STR_TERRIFIED_CITIZEN: 1}]
      - [4, {STR_MINOR_CRIMINAL: 1}]
      - [4, {STR_BLABBERMOUTH_CITIZEN: 1}]
      - [8, {STR_UNTALENTED_CITIZEN: 1}]
      - [1, {STR_DERANGED_CITIZEN: 1}]
      - [1, {STR_EXALT_INFILTRATOR: 1}]
      - [1, {STR_SUPPORTER_OF_DAGON: 1}]
      - [1, {STR_BLACK_LOTUS_FOLLOWER: 1}]
      - [1, {STR_ZSRR_GANGER: 1}]
    listOrder: 62354
  - name: STR_SCREEN_CITIZEN_F
    requires:
      - STR_SCREENING_CITIZENS
    requiredItems:
      STR_FEMALE_CIVILIAN_WHISTLEBLOWER: 1
    randomProducedItems:
      - [1, {STR_EXALT_INFILTRATOR: 1}]
      - [1, {STR_SUPPORTER_OF_DAGON: 1}]
      - [1, {STR_BLACK_LOTUS_FOLLOWER: 1}]
      - [1, {STR_ZSRR_GANGER: 1}]
    listOrder: 62355
  - name: STR_SCREEN_AETHER_M
    requires:
      - STR_SCREENING_CITIZENS
    requiredItems:
      STR_RECLAMATION_OF_AETHER_MALE_INITIATE
    randomProducedItems:
    listOrder: 62356
  - name: STR_SCREEN_CITIZEN_F
    requires:
      - STR_SCREENING_CITIZENS
    requiredItems:
      STR_RECLAMATION_OF_AETHER_FEMALE_INITIATE
    randomProducedItems:

listOrder: 62357

Also: where is info about the probability values? I mean: how to translate 1, 2 or 9 into %

« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 11:40:38 pm by Belcanzor »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2024, 12:25:02 am »
You're lacking quantities (": 1") at the end of two lines with 'requiredItems'.

Percent is [weight]/[sum of all weights], e.g. for your last 'randomProducedItems' 9/47 ~= 19%. If you want easily calculated percentages, make sure the sum of the weights is 100.

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2024, 03:57:12 am »
Thank you! I m becoming too old for this, fail to see that one :p

Still got a problem with the names. If I use same name then its overwrite last entry, but I dont understand how the names work, if I paste   - name: STR_SCREEN_AETHER_M it work but show like that in the workshop item list.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2024, 09:51:25 am »
Checkl the Language directory. The mod's, that is.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 11:24:06 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2024, 11:10:08 pm »
Checkl the Language directory. The mod's, that is.
I though I was a useless file :p Thank you.

Well this is the "alpha" version, a long way to go.
To be done:
- Block normal recruitment options at least until chapter 3.
- Add the other candidates
- Add agents with specific names and stats like the mod "Morozowa" for other mercs
- Add some recruits under the condition xcom already discover certain drugs. I mean: this organization probably don't have much trouble in brainwash people. Same goes for certain citizen that demand money for silence: "memory clean and go home".

Not sure about keep adding stuff here or open my own thread. The mod belong to this person.

This is for test only. I do not recommend use for gameplay. I still trying to find a way to lock recruitment until chapter 3, or after "wipe memory drug" or permanently.